AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I must say AVSForum has been the primary source of information for me when I was making the decision on projector setups a couple of months back. I had gone from thread to thread to learn how it all works and what results to expect; a big thank you to everyone who helped.

Now after about 120+ hours on the projector, I am hooked. Friends, Family, Kids, everyone loves it. I must admit I have put on quite a bit of weight spending 4-5 hours every day in front of the screen and munching away.

I thought to share my setup in bit more detail and with pictures, because that’s what’s missing in the AVSForum Threads. Let’s share setup pictures and some details behind the setup so that people get a pictorial understanding. Please share your setup pictures and details.

Below is my setup
TV - Samsung 55" Plasma Full HD 3D TV
Projector - Benq HT1075 Full HD 3D Projector
HTPC - Mac Mini Core i5 2012
Storage - Drobo 5D 12TB
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR616
Speakers - Infinity Beta HCS 5.1
Disc Player - Samsung DVD Recorder
Cable TV - Provider's Setup Box
Remote - Logitech Harmony 900
Screen - Electric 120" 1.1 Gain 16:9

Distance from Projector to Screen – 10.5 Feet
Distance from Viewing Seats to Screen – 10.5 Feet
(If the seating was any closer or if the screen was any bigger than 120”, viewing experience would have been not s great)

HTPC & Media Organizer
I use PLEX Media Server & PLEX Home Theatre as the media organizer and player. My Mac Mini is connected with a Drobo 5D 12TB which holds all my content and which is served on TV or Projector whatever I choose through my AVR.

AVR & Speakers Setup
I had owned Harman Kardon ever since my first AVR purchase. Thinking it will be a good buy again, I upgraded to Harman Kardon AVR171, but soon ditched that for Onkyo TX-NR616. Harman Kardon has lost its charm I must say. On the other hand Onkyo had THX, Dolby and all sort of goodies. While choosing an AVR I selected the ones which have 2 HDMI Outs as that way I can connect one to TV and another to the Projector (This was important as I escaped the HDMI Splitter route which deteriorates the quality)

Logitech Harmony 900 Remote
Best investment I did. Recommended by users of AVSForum and I greatly thank you for that! Newbie’s BUY IT!

Things I wish to ADD
Xbox One
Black Diamond or Similar Screen Types

Lets all Share our setup! and encourage some newbies...

Also welcoming any suggestions or recommendations...

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Very cool setup! and great thread idea!

I agree with the regards to the harmony 900, awesome remote. I just bought the harmony home control for new theater in the basement so i'm hoping it works just as good.

How do you get the 3d movies to play in plex? are they stored as iso's? sbs mkv?

I'm about two weeks away for finishing the basement theater so i'll be sure to post of some pics here once done

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool setup! and great thread idea!

I agree with the regards to the harmony 900, awesome remote. I just bought the harmony home control for new theater in the basement so i'm hoping it works just as good.

How do you get the 3d movies to play in plex? are they stored as iso's? sbs mkv?

I'm about two weeks away for finishing the basement theater so i'll be sure to post of some pics here once done
Thanks .. I am glad you like the setup.

all my movies are mostly MKV formats.. So Plex just players the content and than from the TV or Projector's 3D settings I have to merge the side by side or top bottom screen. The 3D content plays flawless..

Other than that I am unaware of any special settings through Plex to segregate 3D content especially...

BTW my Plex Server on the MAC Mini also serves the content on my kids iPad's, my and my wife's phones and pretty much any thing with a internet connection any where in the world. Awesome software...

All the best for your basement project and do share the pictures once done...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Figured I post up some details on my setup as I get ready to install the new projector today.

- Apple TV 3
- Elite Screens Electric 85x
- LG HW350T (being replaced today with an LG PF1500)
- Asus WL-520GU (linked via ethernet powerline adapter to main house switch)
- Xbox One
- Tivo TCD746500
- Pioneer VSX-1022-K
- Phillips DIVX/DVD player
- Logitech Harmony Smart Control
- 2x Pioneer FS-51 (fronts)
- 3x Pioneer SP-C21 (center / mids)
- 2x Energy Take 5 classics (rears)
- 1x BIC V1220 (sub)

This was a storage room above my garage that I can only stand up in the center due to the angled ceilings. When we bought the house I knew I wanted to refinish this room but struggled to find a purpose for it due to the odd layout. Ultimately I settled on a little theater room as depicted below. Total cost was around $5000 but that includes the AV equipment / lighting / carpeting / AC-Heat / paint / cabling / furniture / lights.

Been in use for 2.5 years now and I don't think I could of come up with a better use for this space. Upgrading the projector today as the lumen output on the HW350T has become underwhelming. I almost never turn any lights on up here other than the small one at the staircase as the overheads wash the picture out. Screen size is maxed at 85" due to the wall but based on my seating distance this seems ideal anyway. Usage has been about %70 Xbox, %20 Movies, %10 TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi All,

I must say AVSForum has been the primary source of information for me when I was making the decision on projector setups a couple of months back. I had gone from thread to thread to learn how it all works and what results to expect; a big thank you to everyone who helped.

Now after about 120+ hours on the projector, I am hooked. Friends, Family, Kids, everyone loves it. I must admit I have put on quite a bit of weight spending 4-5 hours every day in front of the screen and munching away.

I thought to share my setup in bit more detail and with pictures, because that’s what’s missing in the AVSForum Threads. Let’s share setup pictures and some details behind the setup so that people get a pictorial understanding. Please share your setup pictures and details.

Below is my setup
TV - Samsung 55" Plasma Full HD 3D TV
Projector - Benq HT1075 Full HD 3D Projector
HTPC - Mac Mini Core i5 2012
Storage - Drobo 5D 12TB
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR616
Speakers - Infinity Beta HCS 5.1
Disc Player - Samsung DVD Recorder
Cable TV - Provider's Setup Box
Remote - Logitech Harmony 900
Screen - Electric 120" 1.1 Gain 16:9

Distance from Projector to Screen – 10.5 Feet
Distance from Viewing Seats to Screen – 10.5 Feet
(If the seating was any closer or if the screen was any bigger than 120”, viewing experience would have been not s great)

HTPC & Media Organizer
I use PLEX Media Server & PLEX Home Theatre as the media organizer and player. My Mac Mini is connected with a Drobo 5D 12TB which holds all my content and which is served on TV or Projector whatever I choose through my AVR.

AVR & Speakers Setup
I had owned Harman Kardon ever since my first AVR purchase. Thinking it will be a good buy again, I upgraded to Harman Kardon AVR171, but soon ditched that for Onkyo TX-NR616. Harman Kardon has lost its charm I must say. On the other hand Onkyo had THX, Dolby and all sort of goodies. While choosing an AVR I selected the ones which have 2 HDMI Outs as that way I can connect one to TV and another to the Projector (This was important as I escaped the HDMI Splitter route which deteriorates the quality)

Logitech Harmony 900 Remote
Best investment I did. Recommended by users of AVSForum and I greatly thank you for that! Newbie’s BUY IT!

Things I wish to ADD
Xbox One
Black Diamond or Similar Screen Types

Lets all Share our setup! and encourage some newbies...

Also welcoming any suggestions or recommendations...
chaudhry, what tv stand is that you're using?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here is my new setup for this year.

I'm sorry I thought this is for the under 3,000 PJ only rooms.
I have more than 9,000 in the whole room. lol

Sony 40es 3D PJ
Yamaha Reciever
Sony 3D Blue ray player
135" fixed Elite screen 1.2 gain
MX 3 Android box the best thing you can have for a Home Theater setup.
Polk Audio Speakers + 12" Sub
2 rows of leather seats 6 total.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my new setup for this year.

I'm sorry I thought this is for the under 3,000 PJ only rooms.
I have more than 9,000 in the whole room. lol

Sony 40es 3D PJ
Yamaha Reciever
Sony 3D Blue ray player
135" fixed Elite screen 1.2 gain
MX 3 Android box the best thing you can have for a Home Theater setup.
Polk Audio Speakers + 12" Sub
2 rows of leather seats 6 total.
Wow great setup... I wish I had one spare room :) ... What is that screen on top of your AV Rack?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Figured I post up some details on my setup as I get ready to install the new projector today.

- Apple TV 3
- Elite Screens Electric 85x
- LG HW350T (being replaced today with an LG PF1500)
- Asus WL-520GU (linked via ethernet powerline adapter to main house switch)
- Xbox One
- Tivo TCD746500
- Pioneer VSX-1022-K
- Phillips DIVX/DVD player
- Logitech Harmony Smart Control
- 2x Pioneer FS-51 (fronts)
- 3x Pioneer SP-C21 (center / mids)
- 2x Energy Take 5 classics (rears)
- 1x BIC V1220 (sub)

This was a storage room above my garage that I can only stand up in the center due to the angled ceilings. When we bought the house I knew I wanted to refinish this room but struggled to find a purpose for it due to the odd layout. Ultimately I settled on a little theater room as depicted below. Total cost was around $5000 but that includes the AV equipment / lighting / carpeting / AC-Heat / paint / cabling / furniture / lights.

Been in use for 2.5 years now and I don't think I could of come up with a better use for this space. Upgrading the projector today as the lumen output on the HW350T has become underwhelming. I almost never turn any lights on up here other than the small one at the staircase as the overheads wash the picture out. Screen size is maxed at 85" due to the wall but based on my seating distance this seems ideal anyway. Usage has been about %70 Xbox, %20 Movies, %10 TV.

I think wonderful usage of the space... How do you say the LG projectors compare to Benq W1070 or Ht1075?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think wonderful usage of the space... How do you say the LG projectors compare to Benq W1070 or Ht1075?
Having not used the 1070 I can only speculate... Based on what I've read the 1070 blows the HW350T out of the water due to the low lumen output of the HW350T and only 720p resolution. Looks like the PF1500 should give the BenQ's a run for the money though. Keep an eye on the PF1500 thread as there is a comparison coming against some bulb based projectors in the near future.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1838377-new-lg-pf1500-led-projector.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is besta from Ikea. 2 x 120 cm and 1 x 60 cm So total 300 cm wide.. cover the 120 Inch screen end to end ... looks neat and low profile thats why i bought it.
Thanks, i was thinking that might be what it was. I was actually looking at that a few months ago on the ikea website but its not for sale online or in any nearby stores. I have heard that they are tweaking the besta line and it will be back in april. I'm hoping thats the case as i have been looking for something low and wide for under my screen since i only have 7ft ceilings.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't know if you're aware of it but there's a 'completed theaters' thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...n/1061114-show-me-your-completed-theater.html
which may give you some ideas. They're all over the map when it comes to cost but at least it's a source of ideas. I'm not sure what your $3K is supposed to cover .. but I think I come close even though I spent $2k on a new projector. Mine is here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...e-your-completed-theater-41.html#post32336921

1 - 17 of 17 Posts