AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have search for a while in the forum here and there doesn't seem to be a list of sites or manufacturers for a good/economical bare bones HTPC, anyone care to share where they are getting a good bare bones pc for under $500 bucks, goal would be to add a card or 2 for audio / video that would juice it up, because it seems you can do that pretty cheap too just getting them separate.

Oh yeah, I also need a 'desktop' configuration so it sits in my cabinent on top of the reciever and actually looks like a component of my system.

I notice you can configure one on http://www.accessmicro.com/bto/index.phtml

however what to pick, then when you pick one of those, what components to choose. I guess I could just get the processor, memory and DVD, and add in my own sound and video card later...

Thanks in advance,

J

·
Registered
548 Posts
Accessmicro is probably the best place to look. The problem there is that you cant choose from great motherboards like Asus or Abit, I think they mainly use Epox and ECS.

I got my dad a barebones machine from there........Athlon 1.5, 128MB, and an all-integrated board for 250.00 shipped. He loves it, and it runs better than his Compaq :)

I was thinking about going that route as well but I just dont like the limited motherboard choices. If it werent for that Id buy one right away.

-Chris

·
Registered
897 Posts
Got to pricewatch and do a search on "Systems- Kits" and you will find lots of case-mobo-cpu combos. You can get some good stuff for under $300 if you use AMD XP CPU's. Pricewatch is also a good place to get memory, drives, etc. to finish the system. They aren't a store, just a listing of current prices from a bunch of online retailers.

bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.