AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony ES receiver in my 2nd home theater room has been slowly failing. For many weeks it's been making loud clicking noises and the audio goes in and out. I'm thinking it is a heat related problem. It now seems to have stopped making sound altogether.

So, I am in the market for a new budget receiver. This will not be my primary audio system. I have a Rotel RSP-1066 processor and ATI2500 (200w x 5) amp in the main theater room.

The speakers that will be driven by the new receiver are Infinity Kappa series (model 5.1 (4 of them), plus Kappa center), so I am looking for a receiver with a warm sound to offset the Emit tweeters. I also have Kappas in the big theater room and when I switched to the Rotel from the Sony ES the difference in sound quality (warmth, smoothness, detail) was significant.

Basic requirements:

Power - does not really matter, at least 70wpc?

Channels - 5.1 is fine

Processing - DPLIIx preferred

Component inputs - at least 2

Video Bandwidth - prefer a least 100mhz to allow switching of HD content

Amps - leaning toward the warm (non-bright) side.

Again, this is not the main sound room, but more for everyday viewing. It will accompany our new 60" LCD HDTV and be used for some music, DVD, and HDTV viewing.

I've been wading through many posts here, but cannot seem to narrow the choice down to a few good models.... There seem to be too many to choose from.

Any suggestions? :confused:

· Registered
4,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SayersWeb

Channels - 5.1 is fine

Processing - DPLIIx preferred

DD PLIIx (i.e. the 'x' part) buys you nothing in a 5.1 setup. It's for 7.1 (i.e. it processes 2 and 5 channel sources into 7 channels). As a result, you won't even find PLIIx with 5 channel only receivers/prepros.

If all you want/need is 5.1, then DD PLII is all you need to look for.

Dean

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dwette
DD PLIIx (i.e. the 'x' part) buys you nothing in a 5.1 setup. It's for 7.1 (i.e. it processes 2 and 5 channel sources into 7 channels). As a result, you won't even find PLIIx with 5 channel only receivers/prepros.

If all you want/need is 5.1, then DD PLII is all you need to look for.

Dean
Thanks for the info. I don't plan to run 7.1 in that room, so PLII is all I need then! :)

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
You can get a refurb Onkyo TX-SR701 for $430 w/free shipping from here .
Hi Jay, Thanks for the tip!

I can probably remove the 100mhz video bandwidth requirement since the new TV has 4 component inputs.

I was actually on that site looking at the different refurb receivers when I checked and saw your reply. I know nothing about recent Onkyo equipment. They were my darling receiver manufacturer in the mid to late 80's. I owned one and convinced many family and freinds to buy them as well.

Since then, I have found new receiver darlings over the years. First it was Yamaha around 1990 and then Sony ES around the mid 90's and then most recently was Denon. I don't really follow the industry very closely, but whenever either I or someone close to me needs a new receiver I do a bunch of research and then it seems that everyone around me goes out and buys the one I settle on! :eek:

I am completely comfortable buying refurb equipment. I figure it's been fixed and gone through a level of quality testing, so the chance of it working out of the box should be better than even a new unit.

I'm very down on Sony right now. I used to be a huge fan of their equipment, but many Sone devices have let me down in recent years.

So, here is the starting of a list...

Onkyo TX-SR701

Denon AVR-2803

Harman Kardon AVR330

Harmon Kardon AVR525

Harmon Kardon DPR1001

Pioneer VSXD912K

Pioneer VSXD914K

Yamaha HTR-5760

Yamaha HTR-5590

Yamaha RX-V750

I left off the Sonys because I know them to be very bright sounding. I've heard that the Harmon Kardons tend to be warm. Don't know about the others.

Suggestions?

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
I know nothing about recent Onkyo equipment. They were my darling receiver manufacturer in the mid to late 80's. I owned one and convinced many family and freinds to buy them as well.
I have an Onkyo 898 and am very pleased with the performance and ease of use. The 701 should also offer good performance. Be careful with ecost. They charge high shipping costs for most of the receivers $400 and up (i.e. the HK models do not ship free like the Onkyo models). Good luck.

Jay

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dvdvideo
Why not add one of the Panasonic digitals to the mix......
I'm curious about those. Just don't know anything about them. They are very inexpensive (which is a good thing). I've heard that the XR45 model sounds great, but only after some custom modifications?

The idea of a digital amplifier makes me think of not sounding warm, but that could be completely wrong...

Which Panny models should be considered? The choices in the sub $500 range are just endless these days.... :confused:

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
I have an Onkyo 898 and am very pleased with the performance and ease of use. The 701 should also offer good performance. Be careful with ecost. They charge high shipping costs for most of the receivers $400 and up (i.e. the HK models do not ship free like the Onkyo models). Good luck.
Thanks for the additional info Jay! I will try to scope out reviews for it.

· Registered
17 Posts
Could you say what makes you lean towards the Yamaha?

What's your 2nd choice?

I'm just about to be in the market for a receiver in this price range so I'm very interested in what factors you were considering. I started reading a few threads and have been leaning towards a Denon but not for any really concrete reasons other than a few positive comments and I like my current Denon.

Thanks,

Mike

· Banned
936 Posts
Why not try the new Panasonic SAXR70. Do a search on Google. You can find them for $329.00. I'll bet you will get an extremely good sounding receiver and probably one of the biggest bargains around. There have been a few folks that refer to the new Panasonic digital amps as "Krell" killers. I have yet to own a Panasonic product that didn't perform well.

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mlippert
Could you say what makes you lean towards the Yamaha?

What's your 2nd choice?

I'm just about to be in the market for a receiver in this price range so I'm very interested in what factors you were considering. I started reading a few threads and have been leaning towards a Denon but not for any really concrete reasons other than a few positive comments and I like my current Denon.
Hi Mike,

I feel your pain! :)

I had many 2nd choices over the past few days....

What I like about the Yamaha RX-V750:

They use their own processing chips, which I've always thought were very good.

It has the auto calibration feature (without the parametric EQ - but I wouldn't want it anyway)

192 kHz/24 BIT DAC'S for all channels

Pure Direct Mode

Digital Inputs - 4 OPTICAL / 2 COAXIAL

Video-Up Conversion to Component

Here is a good thread about the RX-750.

Denon was interesting, but the features did not seem to stack up at the price point. I also installed a Denon for my mom and I find it a bit confusing in the ergonomics dept. Whenever she has problems, it always takes me a while to figure out what is going on. I do like the sound and features of her unit.

The Panasonic with digital amp models are interesting and pleasing size-wise. But they have cut cormers.... the speaker terminals are a good example. Also, the fact that moding the X45 reulted in better performance worried me a bit. I do like Panasonic. I have several of their components including a front projector and the soon-to-be-deliverd 60" LCD HDTV.

The Onkyo was interesting, although it had fewer digital audio inputs, lacked the component upconvert. It just doesn't seem to offer as much at the price point.

Harman Kardon AVR330 - Love the look of this puppy. Would do well with the WAF. I was interested because many claim that it has a warm sound. Again, it just doesn't seem to offer as much at the price point.

Pioneer - I'm not a big fan, so these were not really in my sights.

For me, it really boils down to the Yamaha RX-V750 being the best overall package for the price point. I've had a receiver by them before and found it to be warm and open sounding. I missed it when I "upgraded" to the harsh sounding Sony ES receiver. Initially, I was not considering Yamaha because they are historically expensive for what you get, but these new units are a great value. They don't seem to have cut many corners on the design.

My second choice would probably be the HK followed by the Denon.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
I'm in the same situation...

I currently use a HK avr 510 for my theater and am very happy with it for what I paid, but the receiver I used in the front room (old Pioneer pre DD) finally died so I need another.

I really love the HK sound. Yes it's warm and detailed and never strained so that's my first choice but I want a little newer one. I run Klipsch rf3 speakers fyi.

Anyone familiar with the HK line and which model is a good step up from the 510? I'd stay with the 510 but it's got an annoying pop when going from analog to DD or DTS all 510's did. (my only real complaint and something I knew before I bought it but the price was right.)

Anyway there's the 520, 525, 630, 7000 etc , 1001 all in that general range. What's the best of these anyone know based on quality, reliability, features and power.

I run my amp 24/7, and at bleeding ear levels quite often, so it has to handle some real abuse and heat.

Troy

· Registered
762 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Here is a good thread about the RX-750.

including a front projector and the soon-to-be-deliverd 60" LCD HDTV.

My second choice would probably be the HK followed by the Denon.
If you need a warm sound to offset the EMIT tweeters, be wary of Yamaha. In my experience they are not warm sounding receivers, and I've owned 2 of them. The HK, Onkyo and Pioneer are likely to be your top choices for the sound you want.

Best,

Wayne

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.