AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'd say my budget is around $400-$500 for 5 or 5.1 speakers since this leaves me room for a receiver (hopefully) and have no interest in 7.1.

I recently purchased an LG(lhb335) and find them fairly underwhelming considering it's my first surround sound buy and while still under the grace of a return policy I've been looking around at other audio.

Increased the budget (come on, gotta treat myself to something nice once and awhile!) and been browsing quite a bit. So far I've found the Fluance AVHTB+ and Fluance SXTHB+ to be the most appealing despite the large size and lack of a sub. Cnet reviews on this were generous and posts on here about them were pretty much the same.

What out there would you recommend for $400?

While this isn't the correct forum for it, any receiver recommendations to go along with the speakers?

Should I stick with a HTIB considering my price range?

Currently have 50" plasma armed with the ps3 and I'd say it's pretty much just movies and maybe 10% of the time it's used is for music or games. Also if it matters, current room size is 18'x14' and a viewing distance of about 10 feet and next year all the wonderful stuff will be moved to another room that is significantly larger but the viewing will probably be the same distance as it is now.

____

edit: Forgot to add I'm also considering Pioneer SP-BS41-LR bookshelf pair, I assume I could get 4 of these and use the other 2 in the rear? Saw this on amazon and at $80 for the pair. On the site they also have a center speaker S-31C for $174, can't find anything in regards to it's quality/performance tho.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That's a tight budget. I recommend BIC DV62CLR-S center channel and two sets of DV62si bookshelf speakers. Total cost is $320

DV62si = $110 a pair

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV.../dp/B00006JPDI

DV62CLR-S = $100

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV...d_bxgy_e_img_b

With 2 sets of the DV62si and 1 DV62CLR-S center channel, that's $320 with some cash left over to shop for a subwoofer. This speaker system with the right subwoofer and a good receiver with built-in auto-tune will sound like a multi-thousand dollar set.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Also,

An alternate option would be the FH-65B bookshelf speakers with matching center channel:

http://www.amazon.com/America-FH-65B...ref=pd_sim_e_4

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-FH6-LCR-6-...d_bxgy_e_img_b

The horn-based speakers won't sound as 'smooth' as the DV series but will have more "punch/loudness" to match up with a larger room. The ideal thing to do is have a room no bigger than 18' x 18' x 8' (or 2500 cubic feet) to keep reflections and other echos to a minimum. I also recommend CARPETED FLOORS or you'll get some really hollow sound. When you get rooms that are too large, you WILL have to put up wall treatments and other reflection-limiting acoustic panels to have a room that sounds nice. I would recommend the DV series as a good speaker up to 2000 cubic feet (only able to extend to larger rooms with a lot more wattage input) and the horn-based to be used in the 2500 cubic foot room (when only moderate amplifier power is at hand).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
About the Pioneer speaker set,

I wouldn't recommend 85db sensitivity speakers for any room except one at 1500 cubic feet and smaller. The speakers I recommended are 90db sensitivity (the the smooth sounding ones) and 95db+ (the "loud" ones).

So, the Pioneer speakers may sound good, but remember the "role" those speakers are designed for. Small rooms. Apartments, dorms, bedrooms. I wouldn't recommend them for main living rooms in average houses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, a mountain of info! Thanks for the quick and quality rich replies all.

Really like the DV and by the looks of it I think I just may side with that. Now that I think of it, can I mount those on a wall?

Last task will be to find a receiver and sub that will compliment those speakers, will post in the other forums but if anyone has a suggestion I'm open to it. As it stands now I would prefer to keep a sub budget under $250 and the receiver I'm going to count as a whole different beast considering I don't even know where to begin on those yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As it stands now the potential setup is for pretty much all movies: (Assuming prices hold for another week or so)

(Front and Rear) BIC America x4 DV62si

(Center) BIC America DV-62CLRS

(Sub) BIC America F12

(AVR) Onkyo TX-SR608 or Pioneer VSX-1020-K (think I'll toss a coin on that one)

total on amazon is $974 for everything, but I can get the sub cheaper else where at the moment.

Still like someone to chime in on Fluance SX-HTB+ 5 set ( http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html ), at $300 I can't rule them out still, especially with their smaller rear speakers. The BIC America DV62si still look appealing and the reviews it gets from users are generous as well. I'll include a well drawn picture of the room layout which is nothing short of a surround sound nightmare and the reason I'd like smaller rears!

_________

I assume this a decent setup, but if I go with this what kind of cables will I need? Any good place to buy them for what they are really worth : P

_________

Thanks again!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Once upon a time, I owned the Fluance set you're considering. While they were not too bad, you would definitely want to replace the center that comes with the set with their other center ($69.99). The center that comes with the set is the weak link in that system. So, considering that brings the price up to ~ $370 + shipping, the BIC's might be your better choice. Also, as Timothy mentioned, the Fluance are rated at 88 dBs and will take more power to play as loudly as the BICs.

While most of the reviews for the Fluance are positive, you need to read between the lines. I would bet most of the reviewers that rave about how good the speakers sound have probably never heard really good speakers and thus their basis for comparison is rather limited to begin with.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestWho /forum/post/19612900

2db between the makes that much difference in sound?

Upgrading the center would certainly suck since that $70 is about what I could save on the sub.

Fluance aren't bad, but the BIC speakers I've recommended have been used by audiophiles and people have tinkered with their crossovers for years now. The Fluance speakers have never been used by audiophiles and no one would bother trying to rework their crossovers. The BIC DV-series tweeter is what so many knowledgable speaker buffs like about this design. Another interesting design is the DV62CLR-S power-port design to enhance bass response in an already large center channel. When doing my research before buying, I could find NO other speakers in this price range used by audiophiles except a few which are no longer made that I had to buy off Craigslist as my surround channels (Optimus LX-5 IIs).

So, my recommendation for the best bang for buck speaker system came from 3 months of deep research and several years of following different types of audio gear. This is as solid a speaker system as you will get for the money and make sure you have an audio receiver that includes built-in auto-tune features to get the most quality out of the setup.

This is not saying that Fluance is in any way a bad speaker system, but the BIC is going to be a step better in quality. 10 years of unchanged design, excellent professional reviews and audiophile tinkering should tell you it's pretty darn good for the money. In 3 months of deep research, I couldn't find anything that matches it for the money.

On your receiver dilemma, I would recommend the Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver because I've heard the Audessey process which the Onkyo uses and wasn't blown away, but the MCACC that the Pioneer uses gives a nice, open, wide sound stage which I think sounds great with the BIC DV speakers. The Audessey process sounds a bit muffled, the image doesn't sound wide or deep, it made the speakers sound like point sources rather than sounding like a soundscape. This is really just my opinion and some people really like the Audessey processing, but I have to tell you, there is no other processing I'd pick after hearing the MCACC of Pioneer. You also have the ability to go in an make manual adjustments to the sound after the auto-tune is complete, but Audessey doesn't allow that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again, I assume the sub will compliment the setup.

Rest of my mental info blanks are filled so the only thing left to do is make this delicious order.

edit: Oh yeah, what kind of cables/wire will I need for the bic speakers/sub?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestWho /forum/post/19616627

Thanks again, I assume the sub will compliment the setup.

Rest of my mental info blanks are filled so the only thing left to do is make this delicious order.

edit: Oh yeah, what kind of cables/wire will I need for the bic speakers/sub?
www.monoprice.com has lots of cables for cheap prices and speaker wire too. I wouldn't recommend spending tons of money on cables and wire. 16-awg wire works just fine for this setup, wire distance and power demands. You can buy 14-awg if you're paranoid about wire thickness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I know about wire cost, I almost died laughing in bestbuy when a guy in front me had 3 hdmi cables at around $30 some each.

Last question with wire, I assume the speakers/avr use "banana" plugs as well?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestWho /forum/post/19617729

Oh I know about wire cost, I almost died laughing in bestbuy when a guy in front me had 3 hdmi cables at around $30 some each.

Last question with wire, I assume the speakers/avr use "banana" plugs as well?

That's a matter of preference. Banana plugs aren't honestly necessary. Some people think they offer a more secure connection but I don't. Bare wire works fine when the terminals tighten down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems that the 18th is the magic date, I did of course forget to use a promotional code for $10 bucks off.

How many times have I done that?

Everytime I've had one to use.

Only the sub had shipping costs, I can live with that!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestWho
Seems that the 18th is the magic date, I did of course forget to use a promotional code for $10 bucks off.

Fantastic. When your auto-tune is completed, it will sound really good. Your room didn't give you an ideal speaker setup situation but it should still be fine. I'm pretty picky about sound and if I'm running with the DV series with no plans to upgrade when I get more money, then it's good stuff.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestWho /forum/post/19618189

Let me know how your setup sounds. I am considering the same center and sub as you got. Would love to know what you think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts