AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm redoing the 20 yr old deck on a house I bought last fall and would love to have a decent outdoor 2.1 setup. I'm looking at the def tech AW5500 for speakers and plan to build a sub enclosure and mount it under the deck. I was thinking a ploy driver either 2 10in or 12in in a ported box built up in between the joists with some flashing to keep them out of direct water. My questions is what would you recommend as far as inside amplifier with passive sub box vs plate amp on the box (pointed down and protected from elements). I'd like to go passive box with sub amp inside next to the 2 channel speaker amp but am having trouble finding an amp that will run 2 or 4 ohms at 300-500 watts mono. Advice?? Thx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You are probably better off asking your questions in the DIY forum as there have been similar questions (but almost none recently).

Parts Express sells (there are also other companies that also do) outdoor amplifiers that can sit in the water/weather. Alternatively, you can use a suitable indoor indoor amp with suitable weather-proof connection going to the speakers/subs outdoors.

In the DIY forum, a couple of individuals built large subwoofers for boats (2+ years ago). You could do some searches but their applications were certainly very weather resistant.

"amp that will run 2 or 4 ohms at 300-500 watts mono" Parts Express has subwoofer amps in enclosures that are suitable. You may get better value with an enclosure from one of the other recommended companies such as Behringer. The DIY forum can give lots of good advice. Also, you are better off with a receiver that has outputs for the subwoofer frequencies. Most (all?) standalone 2-channel receivers do not have subwoofer (or LFE) outputs. I just used an inexpensive HT (5.1) receiver but for an outdoor application. I just used it for a 2.1 indoor application.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts