AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recenty added a pair of paradigm mini monitor v5s to my stereo system as rear speakers. I have monitor 7 v4s for fronts which we all know are less efficient than the new speakers. I am running them as speaker A and the minis as speaker B on my denon DRA395. I am also using a PDR 10 v3 sub.

Problem is, the mini's being more efficient seem much louder than my fronts which is sort of annoying when listening to music and well, pretty much anything. Anyone know a way to fix this??? I have read the manual for the denon receiver and there doesnt seem to be a way to change speaker A and B volume so...any ideas?

Thanks

Wakacha

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Are you running them both simultaneously? You should not do that.

If you mean that when you switch from one pair to the other, the volume changes, there's a knob for that.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Why are you running four speakers for stereo music?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Why do you want "rear speakers" for a stereo set-up? The only thing you're doing is blurring the soundstage.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
To fix it, you should be able to set gain in the receiver for A and B. If the receiver doesn't have such a feature you could put a resistor at the speaker outputs! Ha!

Yeah, efficiency will do that. I slowly built my car stereo and ended up upgrading the rears before the fronts. The rears were significantly more efficient.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/14344585

Are you running them both simultaneously? You should not do that.

Why? Depending upon the speakers' impedances and the amps' capabilities to operate at the speakers' combined parallel impedances, it should be fine. The "B" outputs on most receivers/amps are meant to be used simultaneously with the "A" outputs. There are usually impedance restrictions when doing this that are clearly stated in the unit's manual if not also on the backside of the receiver/amp near the speaker outputs.

MANUAL

From his unit's manual:

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf /forum/post/14345282

To fix it, you should be able to set gain in the receiver for A and B.

Doubtful it has a setting like that.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Why? Depending upon the speakers' impedances and the amps' capabilities to operate at the speakers' combined parallel impedances, it should be fine. The "B" outputs on most receivers/amps are meant to be used simultaneously with the "A" outputs. Their are usually impedance restrictions when doing this that are clearly stated in the unit's manual if not also on the backside of the receiver/amp near the speaker outputs

My comment had nothing to do with power handling. It had to do with the effect on imaging/soundstage of running two sets of speakers in the same room.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/14345494

My comment had nothing to do with power handling. It had to do with the effect on imaging/soundstage of running two sets of speakers in the same room.

Ah. Sorry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I know I'm not "supposed" to hook 4 speakers up to a stereo setup, but I am anyways, because I want rear speakers. It still sounds good how it is so I think the soundstage is fine, I'd just like the rear speakers to be a bit quieter if possible. So, do any of you know a way to make this happen?

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakacha /forum/post/14345637

So, do any of you know a way to make this happen?

jmichaelf said in post#6 that you can use resistors. I do not know how this works, though. There may be some sort of adjustable volume attenuator that you could use to set the balance between the front and rear speakers.

Just move them further away.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Google "speaker volume control." What you'll find is mostly in-wall devices (like dimmer switches for lights). But there's no reason you couldn't just set it behind your receiver.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
The use of surround speakers makes sense only when using a surround reciever, which allows the relative volume of the channels to be adjusted.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/14345494

I too also have 4 speakers hooked up in stereo, my front towers and a pair of bookshelves. I have them all parallel in front though, but it plays much louder than just my fronts in stereo, so I much prefer it when listening to satellite music channels. It also gives me an excuse to use my Leisure 2 bookshelves, which I don't want to sell, but I also don't want them just sitting around not being used either. My towers/bookshelves all have the same ribbons/woofers, so I find the imaging & soundstage just fine to me. And no, on most receivers, there's no way to control the volume on the B terminals in the setup except with the volume knob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts