AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just completed installing my bedroom theater (see sig) and have one last component that needs adding, a subwoofer.

In order to keep the room looking as "clean" as possible I think installing the sub under the bed is the best course of action. It will reduce the ammount of output volume I'd need as it's closest to the listening position and it will be out of the way, visually speaking. I have about a foot of clearance under the bed and the bottom portion of the bed is made of MDF as it's a platform bed with 4 legs (see photos in build thread).

I have an older Yamaha that came as part of a HTIB that I was previously using in this room but given the KEF speakers I've installed I don't wish to add that back into the equation. Right now I'm leaning towards the HSU STF-1 subwoofer as it appears to be small enough to fit under my bed if placed on it's side.

What do you guys think? And alternatives I should consider. My budget is about $350.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well the sub is very good for the price.Your "I will put it under the bed is what's making me think..."

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bed is a platform bed. Meaning it has 5 legs (one each corner, one in the center). Where there would normally be a box spring there's actually just a platform of 1" MDF on which the matress sits. The legs are about 10" tall. The floor is carpeted.

Other than under the bed I can think of no other place to install the subwoofer where it will not be visable and detract from the "stealth" look of the in ceiling KEF speakers. Plus, living in a town house as I do I figure that the closer the woofer is to my head the less volume I'll need keeping my disturbance of the neighbors to a minimum.

Oh, and transducers are out of the question. :lol:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
OK. Anyway Im sure you will try it in different positions, so I think eventually you will see if it was a good place.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Well this gives subs a whole meaning too humping on the bed with the subwoofer fired-up underneath.

Was that good for you as it was for me?

Oh, the earth moved honey, lets do it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts