AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an idea that is quite flawed but anyway..

My geforce2 has a very loud fan I'm wondering if by lowering the clock speed it would reduce the number of requests to turn the fan on full pelt. The overclocking utility I've got doesnt let me reduce the clock speed is there another that can do this?

Basically I'm wondering if threres a way to keep the fan quiet short of buying a new fan, any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Martin:

___You should use PowerStrip 3.0.xxx beta to handle your OC’ing/UC’ing needs. I am not near any of my HTPC’s right now so I cannot tell you what the lower limits of the core clock slider are under PowerStrip with the 2 GTS or better are but if you can get down into the 170 MHz core range, I would try removing the fan altogether and look for artifacts or lockups after running 3D gaming loops for a few hours. If not, you have yourself one very quiet GeForce2 GTS http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

___The reason why I mentioned 170 MHz is that the GeForce2 MX runs its core and clock at 175 MHz and does so without a GPU fan but loses a texturing pipeline. I am not sure if 170 MHz will be low enough to keep the 2 GTS core cool enough given that extra rendering pipeline without the GPU F/HS but it certainly is worth a shot. Leave the GPU HS on by all means but just detune the core and remove the GPU Fan to see how everything runs.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.