Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed here, but here's my deal:

First of all, I've gotten a great PQ on my HF84 for SD cable, PS2 games, and DVDs after various tweaks in the service menu (yes, I wrote down everything). My white level, black level, and color balance have all been tuned to my best ability, and the only thing left for me to do was to go about reducing overscan on the set.

Well, using Avia, I had achieved perhaps a 2% vertical overscan and 3% horizontal overscan plus a few extra tweaks to correct slight geometry problems. The picture ended up looking just grand on both my SD cable and DVDs............BUT when I went to check out some of my games (Gran Turismo 4, Tekken 5), there were various size black bars surrounding all four sides of the game picture (480i, 480p, and 1080i-GT4).

So I went about readjusting my tweaks to account for this underscan (??) of my PS2 and ended up with overscan levels only slightly better than before I started. I thought that maybe the HF84 would save the adjusted settings for each input, so I could have specifically tuned settings for my PS2 and also for my cable, but this was not the case. Unlike the settings for white/black levels and color balance (which ARE different for each input), it seems any change for overscan applies to all inputs.

It forces me to choose between

A) Go with the tuned for TV/DVD settings and suffer black bars on any game I play

or

B) Go with the tuned for PS2 settings and accept similar overscan on TV/DVD as I had before

My question is this

Is my hand really forced like this?? or Is there a way around this that I may not be aware of??

any help would be much appreciated

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Don't adjust your set because of the PS2's underscan, use a test dvd like avia or DVE to do overscan correctly.

All PS2's have this problem, it's a manufacturers defect and nothing you can really do about it but live with it like everyone else on this forum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if the new model PSTwo has this same problem or if it was corrected?? Mine is the older model (had it since December 2000).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.