AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have patiently waited for Airplay to arrive for really, one reason, that is: a REAL low cost/no cost solution for streaming my Rhapsody account from my laptop to my AppleTV. I currently use a 3rd party app called "Airfoil" but it simply does not work for me...excessive dropouts, high noise floor, and blatant distortion (especially on quiet vocal passages) are just some of the highlights. I can live with 128/192k streams, just not the aforementioned.

Seeing I've had great success streaming my itunes library over "Airtunes" over the last few years, I thought Airplay would be a worthy successor...especially more beneficial still if it could stream 3rd party apps like Rhapsody and Pandora.

My biggest fear though was that Apple would not allow those 3rd party "competing" or quasi-competing products like Rhapsody and Pandora to function with it, for obvious reasons.

Well, to my excitement yesterday, I noticed the update for Rhapsody on my iphone 3GS included AIRPLAY support!

Awesome, right?!

Apparently, wrong. Dead wrong...for me anyways.

It appears (at this point anyway) that you cannot stream even audio to a 1st Gen AppleTV via Airplay, which of course I own.

Now, I've read that we should be able to at least stream audio to a 1st gen A-TV when they work out the bug(s). OK then, here's to hoping I don't have to spend another $100 for this basic functionality...it seems to work fine with 4 year-old Airport Expresses. The reasoning as to why it then won't with the A-TV seems to be software related and beyond my scope of expertise. Funny though, isn't an AE just a glorrified router with audio-out? What on earth allows it to pass audio but NOT the AppleTV? That's bizarre to me, and I'd like to know why.

More imperatively though, I read yesterday that Airplay is limited to streaming from Apple products ONLY?!

Meaning I can only stream audio from my iphone, itouch, and mac books?

Crap. So there goes my notion of streaming even itunes from my laptop to my AppleTV just as I have for years, nevermind 3rd party apps like Rhapsody? No way?!

I suppose this is not shocking to me, but if the limitation truly elminates non-apple CPUs this is beyond dire. I simply do not want to run Rhapsody off the 3inch screen and limited battery life of my iphone for my get-togethers.

So for me, I'd appreciate if anyone in the know can answer the following basic questions:

1. Will I be able to stream 3rd party apps from my Windows laptop to my current 1st Gen A-TV?

2. Same as 1, but if a 1st gen A-TV is not possible, can it occur with a 2nd Gen?

3. Will I at least be able to EVENTUALLY stream 3rd party apps from my Iphone to my 1st Gen ATV?

I'm sure others have questions about Airplay's functionality and "power" so perhaps this thread can act as a clearinghouse for such dialogue.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge!

Happy Christmas Time!

James

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Boy, I'm a bit surprised more are not interested in this topic, as it seems that new ATV2 is rather popular.

Anyways, I spoke with an Apple Tech and she maintained without doubt that the new ATV2 WILL stream Rhapsody from non-apple CPUs like my VAIO.

Phew, thank god for that.

Now for me, not knowing how airplay "appears" on my CPU, and what it's limited to as far as streaming goes, she also made it sound that, so long as the file is compatiable (AAC, MP3, WAV, etc) Airplay would stream it.

So, say I log on to my fave bands website and want to stream a live track...she maintains that I could, so long as it's in an accepptable file format.

I'm still trying to get my head around how that works, per se. Is there a drop-down menu with airplay that allows me to select the desired app to stream...like Airfoil? Or, does the airplay option just "sit" within the given apps?

Guess I'll need to see it first hand to understand it better.

James

1 - 2 of 2 Posts