AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sharp HDTV that supports DLNA. I just recently purchased Twonky Server to stream my content. The problem that I am experiencing is that if the server has content added to it that has a resolution higher than 640x(AAA) (As in anything) it will not be listed on the TV.

The file type and codecs used do not change, only the resolution.

So my question is, what resolutions does DLNA support?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi Brent,
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentshifley /forum/post/20881479

So my question is, what resolutions does DLNA support?

For the most part, every device can support what it wants. There are only a few "profiles" that are required, and they are all low-resolution.

The concept in DLNA is that the server is expected to transcode the content down to the resolution of the player. Many players only support standard resolution (notably Sony), so you need transcoding enabled in your DLNA server software in order to view most content. I believe the impetus behind DLNA was to insure that nothing looks as good as Blu-Ray.

To determine which resolutions your Sharp TV supports, you can get a copy of the DLNA certificate. Your dealer should be able to provide it, as well as Sharp.

·
Registered
858 Posts
DLNA is a very messed up standard, transcoding is not actually a part of it but a solution because of how broken DLNA is. Often DLNA clients are only tested with 1 server and along with poor media support can have a range of hidden issues until you use it.

Try using other DLNA servers like Mezzmo or Serviio and see if the problems still persist, they hopefully shouldn't as both those servers have TV DLNA profiles and transcoding support.

TV media players are some of the worst media players on the market regardless of DLNA though often they do a crappy job with DLNA too as the icing on the cake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.