Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helly everyone,

Thanks to the advice from many of you here I am a new owner of a Replay 4080. I also have a SA TiVo which I have been using for the past year or so. I'm trying to get all of my scheduling correct so I can move completely over to the Replay.

I'm trying to get a handle on conflict management on the Replay. I've read the FAQ and a variety of pages, but I'm still a little unclear. Basically, this post was brought on by the upcoming FarScape marathon next weekend.

SciFi is playing 23 hours of FarScape next weekend and I was wondering what it will do to my Replay. I have a guaranteed show-based recording set for 9pm every Friday. I know that Replay will catch a schedule shift one hour to either side of the recording, but I'm not sure how it will work in this case. Will I get the 8pm, 9pm, or 10pm episode?

Also, with my TiVo I would get all of the FarScape episodes regardless of time if I moved the Season Pass up to the top of the list. Is there a similar way to guarantee that I will get all of next week's FarScape episodes without conflicts next week?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm actually going through this right now with the "The Tribe" marathon. All I did was did a single show record for every episode, and resolved all conflicts as they popped up.

As for which your original program guarantee would record, it will record the timeslot that it is set for, ie 9pm. It only looks at adjacent spots if it doesn't see it in its normal one.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rorrimmirror
SciFi is playing 23 hours of FarScape next weekend and I was wondering what it will do to my Replay. I have a guaranteed show-based recording set for 9pm every Friday. I know that Replay will catch a schedule shift one hour to either side of the recording, but I'm not sure how it will work in this case. Will I get the 8pm, 9pm, or 10pm episode?
It will catch the 9pm episode. The requested time always records first.

The obvious answer is to set up a Guaranteed Theme for Farscape with 23 hours, but I'm not sure it will do what you want.

Any Guaranteed Show channels that hit during the period would still be recorded.

IIRC the Guarantee option for Themes just reserves the space, and not priority. If that's the case, older Themes or non-guaranteed shows could take precedence.

Unfortunately, Replay's conflict resolution simply is not up to the task. I can see 2 ways to reliably handle this.

1. 23 hour manual record (lose program info)

2. 23 single (or 22 + your existing ) single records.

I would go for option 2.

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hethriel and Reden,

Thank you both for your advice. This definitely clears things up for me.

I'll set it up to record all 23 episodes as single show records and go from there. It seems like a hassle, but FarScape is worth it.

I have never been quite happy with some of the things about my TiVo, and it looks like I'll never be quite happy with some of the things on the ReplayTV. I look forward to both of them merging the best features and coming up with the best overall solution. Until then it's nice to have one of each knowing that you'll never miss anything :)

-Rorrim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
Which episodes of Farscape are they showing in the marathon? Are they re-airing all of Season 3?
That would be too easy ... it looks like it's a mix-and-match of someone's favorite episodes. They are also not in any specific order (unless random is considered order).

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
rorrimmirror,

I just checked it out on my Replay and sure enough you're right. Looks like most of the episodes are from the third season, but there are also a bunch from Season 2 and even a couple from Season 1. That's very disappointing. I was hoping they were going to air Season 3 from start to finish. It certainly would have made the most sense given that Season 4 is about to begin.

Awesome show!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.