AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been 2.2 for the past twenty years or so, I recently got a Marantz NR1710, Fronts are Acarian Alons IV, (80hz) powered by an external power amp (Rotel 1090). ATMOS speaker are JPW minim, (4.5 inch woofers, crossed at 80hz) and Rears are smaller Denons speakers with 3 inch woofers crossed at 150 hz. Subwoofers SVS PB12-NSD and a VBSS (18 inch DIY). SVS is situated on my right, While VBSS is directly behind me.

Followed the installation guide 110 degrees for the rears and the ATMOS speakers are installed overhead near the corners pointed at the MLP

So I played my First movie earlier (5.2), have not tried ATMOS yet, will try that tomorrow as I am still fiddling with the streamer. I got sounds from rears, but I was expecting a bit more immersive experience. I am wondering if the small Denons could be the culprit, would a larger surrounds speakers make a big difference in the movie watching experience ?

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Been 2.2 for the past twenty years or so, I recently got a Marantz NR1710, Fronts are Acarian Alons IV, (80hz) powered by an external power amp (Rotel 1090). ATMOS speaker are JPW minim, (4.5 inch woofers, crossed at 80hz) and Rears are smaller Denons speakers with 3 inch woofers crossed at 150 hz. Subwoofers SVS PB12-NSD and a VBSS (18 inch DIY). SVS is situated on my right, While VBSS is directly behind me.

Followed the installation guide 110 degrees for the rears and the ATMOS speakers are installed overhead near the corners pointed at the MLP

So I played my First movie earlier (5.2), have not tried ATMOS yet, will try that tomorrow as I am still fiddling with the streamer. I got sounds from rears, but I was expecting a bit more immersive experience. I am wondering if the small Denons could be the culprit, would a larger surrounds speakers make a big difference in the movie watching experience ?
All should be set to "small" even the huge Acarians.

Try turning off Dynamic EQ.

What are using for a center?

Having a weak center vs the left and right can diminish immersion.

The tiny rears don't help either.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Center speaker at the moment. Will try one tomorrow and see how that goes,

Dynamic EQ is off

Will try a larger bookshelf tomorrow

All should be set to "small" even the huge Acarians.

Try turning off Dynamic EQ.

What are using for a center?

Having a weak center vs the left and right can diminish immersion.

The tiny rears don't help either.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Yes, the speakers will have an effect on the sound. However, more often than not, the set-up is the issue. Do all your speakers have line-of-sight to your seated ears (high back chairs?)? If not, that is the first order of business. Are you positioning the subs in the exact same place they were with the old speakers? That is job2, re-doing the interface between the speakers and the subs. This includes re-positioning the subs for best FR in the room / at your seat. It also means revisiting the crossover frequencies you have been using, as 4.5" woofers probably need a bit higher crossover than 80. There is also the issue of your subs being capable into and above the crossover points. For instance, if your speaker rolls off at 100Hz and your sub only has output to 100Hz, then odds are pretty good that you will have a lean and thin sounding mid-bass.

You should also check that all the speakers are set up to provide 75 dB (or whatever volume level you are using). You can download a dB meter to your phone if you do not already own one. Relying on the internal processing of your receiver to get it right is not a good idea, so check it yourself and adjust things until you get more of what you are looking to get...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
give it some time .. fiddle with placement on the surrounds.. you are on to something though , atmos is different , but not necessarily a night/ day upgrade.. and a lot of the difference is room limited .. the subs are the thing in ht .. and you started off in 2.2 with a good set up...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sub is capable up to 250 hz
All speakers has line of sights to MLP

I will address the 80hz crossover for the ATMOS speaker and change to 120

No issue with bass response as both subs are nearfield

Yes, the speakers will have an effect on the sound. However, more often than not, the set-up is the issue. Do all your speakers have line-of-sight to your seated ears (high back chairs?)? If not, that is the first order of business. Are you positioning the subs in the exact same place they were with the old speakers? That is job2, re-doing the interface between the speakers and the subs. This includes re-positioning the subs for best FR in the room / at your seat. It also means revisiting the crossover frequencies you have been using, as 4.5" woofers probably need a bit higher crossover than 80. There is also the issue of your subs being capable into and above the crossover points. For instance, if your speaker rolls off at 100Hz and your sub only has output to 100Hz, then odds are pretty good that you will have a lean and thin sounding mid-bass.

You should also check that all the speakers are set up to provide 75 dB (or whatever volume level you are using). You can download a dB meter to your phone if you do not already own one. Relying on the internal processing of your receiver to get it right is not a good idea, so check it yourself and adjust things until you get more of what you are looking to get...

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
Rears are smaller Denons speakers with 3 inch woofers crossed at 150 hz. Subwoofers SVS PB12-NSD and a VBSS (18 inch DIY). SVS is situated on my right, While VBSS is directly behind me. I got sounds from rears, but I was expecting a bit more immersive experience. I am wondering if the small Denons could be the culprit, would a larger surrounds speakers make a big difference in the movie watching experience ?
Yep, 3" woofers crossed at 150Hz --- geez, that's like Bose-cubes bad.

You don't need to spend big bucks to get decent sound out of your rears, but come on dude, to combine those with your hulking fronts is like mating an elephant with a mouse.

Get something with at least 5.25" woofer (6.5" is better), 8 ohms impedance, and as close to 90db sensitivity as you can find because your Marantz is not particularly robust. About $150-300/pr is all it takes.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
and Rears are smaller Denons speakers with 3 inch woofers crossed at 150 hz.
Those would be a bit underwhelming in my book, looks to have already been addressed here though.

Followed the installation guide 110 degrees for the rears
Probably O.k., but experiment through a range of angles and aim up to and including somewhat forward of your listening position, see what you think.

and the ATMOS speakers are installed overhead near the corners pointed at the MLP
Where do you sit relative to these speakers? When you say corners - do you mean room corners, like the back corners, or where the wall/ceiling meet?

would a larger surrounds speakers make a big difference in the movie watching experience ?
Larger and/or more capable. They don't need to be massive, but I think it'd be nice if they could cross at 80Hz as well.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately I am limited to that size as space is an issue, There is a door where the rear surrounds is supposed to be, the small, i mean tiny Denon is installed at the corner, 2 inches away from the door handle. I have an Usher X-719, 40lbs bookshelf with 7 inch woofers that I can use, but space prevents me. I will try it though temporarily.

I was actually looking for Bose cubes as they would fit, but the Denon looks better

Yep, 3" woofers crossed at 150Hz --- geez, that's like Bose-cubes bad.

You don't need to spend big bucks to get decent sound out of your rears, but come on dude, to combine those with your hulking fronts is like mating an elephant with a mouse.

Get something with at least 5.25" woofer (6.5" is better), 8 ohms impedance, and as close to 90db sensitivity as you can find because your Marantz is not particularly robust. About $150-300/pr is all it takes.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
I personally do not like surround sound. I had 5.1 before, sure, I could hear sound flying and all, but it's so fake. I particularly did not like the voice in the center channel. I actually reversed back to 2.1 and never happier. With a good 2.1, I can hear the sound stage, the 3D effect even though the sound is not flying around. Just because you hear sound flying around doesn't necessary give you the 3D, the feel of realism, the natural of the sound and people talking in 3D space.

Reactions: josh6113

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you sit relative to these speakers? When you say corners - do you mean room corners, like the back corners, or where the wall/ceiling meet?
ATMOS speakers installed corner of the wall and ceiling, directly in line with the MLP. Not in the rear/back corner

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
I personally do not like surround sound. I had 5.1 before, sure, I could hear sound flying and all, but it's so fake. I particularly did not like the voice in the center channel. I actually reversed back to 2.1 and never happier. With a good 2.1, I can hear the sound stage, the 3D effect even though the sound is not flying around. Just because you hear sound flying around doesn't necessary give you the 3D, the feel of realism, the natural of the sound and people talking in 3D space.
It is to a degree, content dependent. You're right in that 2.1 (and 3.1, in my experience) can sound awesome. Did you ever try 4.1? There is some content that is so well done in surround that it pays off, and some that is just not very satisfying. Modern processors do a pretty darn good job of making use of minimal setups. Some of it does come off as artificial, but there are times when I can't tell if things are in my room, or if they are taking place elsewhere in the house or outside! Then I realize, whoa, it's the sound track. I've never been fooled in 2.1 or 3.1, even though it can be cohesive and pretty convincing, but when the whole system is going, it can be really great. Freaks the cats out too. :)

ATMOS speakers installed corner of the wall and ceiling, directly in line with the MLP. Not in the rear/back corner
Good! That should be O.K. then.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
It is to a degree, content dependent. You're right in that 2.1 (and 3.1, in my experience) can sound awesome. Did you ever try 4.1? There is some content that is so well done in surround that it pays off, and some that is just not very satisfying. Modern processors do a pretty darn good job of making use of minimal setups. Some of it does come off as artificial, but there are times when I can't tell if things are in my room, or if they are taking place elsewhere in the house or outside! Then I realize, whoa, it's the sound track. I've never been fooled in 2.1 or 3.1, even though it can be cohesive and pretty convincing, but when the whole system is going, it can be really great. Freaks the cats out too. :)
One day I'll try surround sound again, maybe the processor and programs have improved from the 90s. I have all the speakers and amps I need to do even more than 5.1 sitting around, I just did not like it those days.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
One day I'll try surround sound again, maybe the processor and programs have improved from the 90s. I have all the speakers and amps I need to do even more than 5.1 sitting around, I just did not like it those days.
Dolby Digital is a big step up vs Pro Logic in terms of performance of the center and surrounds.

I started before Pro Logic in the mid 80s with Shure's proprietary surround system in their, at that time, leading edge HTS 5000 processor and the processor in my current mid level Denon is miles ahead as it is of my old Pro Logic Denon.

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
unfortunately I am limited to that size as space is an issue, There is a door where the rear surrounds is supposed to be, the small, i mean tiny Denon is installed at the corner, 2 inches away from the door handle. I have an Usher X-719, 40lbs bookshelf with 7 inch woofers that I can use, but space prevents me. I will try it though temporarily.

I was actually looking for Bose cubes as they would fit, but the Denon looks better
Ugh, the Bose cubes would be no better, more likely worse, than the Denons.

Take a measuring tape and figure out PRECISELY what your maximum possible dimensions are for those spots, and we might be able to suggest better alternatives.

Reactions: sigpig and Mike_WI

·
Registered
797 Posts
To each his own so I won't knock your preference

but in real world reality that we live in think about this scenario for a second

You are standing in the middle of a room blind folded and in front of the room you have your brother, to the left of the room you have your sister, to the right of the room you have your mom and to the back of the room you have your dad

Each one of them speaks to you one at a time.... even with your eyes closed and not being able to see them you'd be able to tell which direction the sound is coming from correct? Well while surround sound is flawless and perfect like real life it at least provides some close approximation of that feeling.

I remember one time a girl I was seeing came to visit and brought her dog with her. I put on a movie and we started watching. During some scenes the dog was fooled enough to look at certain speakers with ears raised when it would hear ambiance surround sound coming and I would chuckle and tell her that the dog is probably expecting to see someone there but there's no one and it's just speakers the dog is reacting to.

But like I said.... everyone is different in what they like so if you like the 2.1 I can understand and respect that

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
To each his own so I won't knock your preference

but in real world reality that we live in think about this scenario for a second

You are standing in the middle of a room blind folded and in front of the room you have your brother, to the left of the room you have your sister, to the right of the room you have your mom and to the back of the room you have your dad

Each one of them speaks to you one at a time.... even with your eyes closed and not being able to see them you'd be able to tell which direction the sound is coming from correct? Well while surround sound is flawless and perfect like real life it at least provides some close approximation of that feeling.

I remember one time a girl I was seeing came to visit and brought her dog with her. I put on a movie and we started watching. During some scenes the dog was fooled enough to look at certain speakers with ears raised when it would hear ambiance surround sound coming and I would chuckle and tell her that the dog is probably expecting to see someone there but there's no one and it's just speakers the dog is reacting to.

But like I said.... everyone is different in what they like so if you like the 2.1 I can understand and respect that
For object-enabled tracks like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos, I would add that when it's mixed properly, it is less speaker-centric and more ATMOSpheric. Many a time with the right movie audio mix, I can literally pinpoint certain sounds coming from seemingly nowhere, as in no speaker is located there! THAT is the true magic of object-enabled audio technology and it shouldn't simply be relegated to the common complaint of "I don't hear much activity going up there!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
730 Posts
So I played my First movie earlier (5.2)
What movie and format?

I’ve noticed that some movies don’t have a whole lot going in the surrounds vs others.

Reactions: SuperFist
1 - 20 of 36 Posts