AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the whole LT150 saga from a distance. I wanted one but couldn't buy one. I was even monitoring the board just a couple of hours after the initial poster told us all about the great Dell deal. But I couldn't get one. Why not? My wife and I are in the midst of buying a new house and I didn't want to jeaopardize anything by racking up new charges on our credit card. But that's not the purpose of my post...

There's been reports of one or two people getting their projectors delivered so far but it seems like more and more people are/were convinced that it wasn't going to happen and have gotten awfully mad at Dell over the whole thing. Maybe the next couple of days will prove you right and Dell will inform you all that the whole thing was a big mistake and cancel your orders. But it seems to me that people are getting awfully mad at Dell (and very vocal about it) while, from where I'm sitting, it still looks to me like you'll probably all be getting them.

Imagine, Dell offers an incredible deal, and people go from praising them to cursing them all within a couple of days. OK, so you may have ordered it overnight and maybe they didn't deliver on that, I can understand a bit of frustration (and a lot of concern) over that. But if this deal of the century (or maybe just the month) goes through, I propose that my thread be used as an official "Apology to Dell" thread for all you naysayers. Of course, if they do cancel all your orders, then you can use this thread to publicly curse my name. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/redface.gif

Scott

PS - If anyone has any extras, please hold onto one for me till 8/31 (we're supposed to close on the house on 8/30). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree, up to a point. However, Dell is at fault also for inconsistent customer service responses, including one email from a representative indicating that Dell was not going to deliver to anyone. Inconsistencies from sales agent to agent in a major company is probably the norm, and that has been exacerbated by the GREAT communication of buyers in this forum. However, it does present some justification as to why people may have jumped the gunn Nevertheless, your point is well taken.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Though I ordered next day air and am getting a slight run around I'm not too ticked =), however I am ticked at the fellah who cant return my darn phone calls and whom I can never get on the phone! Other then that thanks for the deal Dell =).

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't know what you mean by undeserving buyer. Once I order it and willing to pay the amount I deserve the unit. It would have been alright if Dell stopped selling immediately once they realized the pricing error. What is the justification of still accepting orders 3 to 4 days later when you know you can't honor these orders? I can say this because they canceled my order saying the product was pulled out July 19, the day I ordered. I just bought a $2500 Inspiron notebook a week before, so this is not my first order from Dell.

Manny

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was content with Dell's service until this morning. I ordered on Thursday at 12:30pm when the LT150 was still listed as "in stock", with next-day delivery. I immediately got a confirmation number and an estimated ship date of the 24th. I ordered with the understanding that selecting next-day delivery meant I would receive my order the day after Dell put my order together on the 24th.

This morning, the 24th, I got an e-mail stating the 24th ship date would probably be missed and that the new estimated ship date was August 8. This ticked me off a bit because I ordered a progressive scan DVD player and paid extra to have it delivered by the 25th.

I just received confirmation over Dell's automated phone service that my order has indeed shipped. I have a tracking number too, although it doesn't register yet in Fedex's order tracking.

Other than the automated e-mail that I got this morning, I can't complain about Dell's service. I ordered what they offered, and tomorrow I expect to get what I paid for. Some of the hysterics on this forum have been entertaining, but to a great extent, unfair. Good job, Dell (but fix your order status 'bot!) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Lurker #25 (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
srauly,

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Our gracious host Alan Gouger himself posted the message that started all the doubt about the deal being bogus. That really got the speculation going because Alan carries a lot of credibility.

2. Combine 1 with the fact that Dell was not delivering overnight shipments even though the choice was available and the item showed as in-stock. That equated to more speculation.

So frankly, I think you've got it wrong. Dell owes us an apology for not being more together on this. I only owe them only my money for what I purchased.

Businesses exist to serve their customers. Not the other way around.

--Les

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mannyqg:
I don't know what you mean by undeserving buyer. Once I order it and willing to pay the amount I deserve the unit. It would have been alright if Dell stopped selling immediately once they realized the pricing error.

Manny
Dell hasn't stopped selling and there was no pricing error. Dell seemed to have gotten a great deal from a distributor that had to unload 1000 of these units. This is part of the reason shipping is gonna be slow because this is outside of their normal practices. Dell's only problem is they were not prepared for this and their sell reps had no clue what was going on. Units are shipping and we will see how fast they can fill these orders. BTW, you can still order these units for $1701 off their web site in the medium size business section.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If the Dell LT150 pricing truly was a mistake or typographical error DELL probably has an out contained within the terms and conditions of the sale that buyers agree to when placing orders. If it was human error and certain self righteous AVS Forum members still feel they are entitled to pounce on Dell like a bunch of ravenous dogs then it is a very sad testament. I wonder if any of these members have ever made mistakes on their jobs and how they would feel if their customers were trying to pin them against the wall to exploit them for what could been a human error or typo.

·
Registered
127 Posts
srauly:

I have your same point of view, although I did order the thing of course. However, I wouldn't get mad at Dell even if they don't deliver. Like you said, this is the deal of deals, and if it happens I would be incredibly happy. If it doesn't go through, then oh well, it sounded a bit too good to be true anyways. =)

The phone reps are probably as confused as we are as to whether or not this will happen. So we can't blame them either. Let's just be patient. I think we just went off to too many conclusions without giving it enough time to go through.

JoseQ

------------------
a href= http://www.speedhost.com
http://www.emuviews.com

·
Registered
273 Posts
Problem 1 - they continued to sell the unit.

Problem 2 - they guaranteed the price verbally after it was questioned.

Problem 3 - their terms of service don't contain that language, quite surprisingly actually.

Problem 4 - if I make a mistake on my job, I'm fully accountable, as I should be. People rely on me for my expertise, as I hold myself out to have qualifications in those areas. I would be useless if people couldn't believe what I said - even if I was offering advice for free. A purchase contract is the same way. Once I make a deal and have it confirmed, it is no good unless the other party delivers. I'm making financial and personal arrangements based on this deal being consumated, as are many others. More importantly, this was not a simple human error, which could have been easily corrected very quickly. This was obviously a mid to upper management decision. If it was a price error, it could be fixed easily by removing the product from the order system and sending a short email to sales agents.

I agree that it is premature to get at all upset with Dell, because they will likely deliver. It just surprises me to no end that people think it is unreasonable to expect them to, and unfortunately, I think this contributes to why companies believe that they can escape their obligations. To read some messages, you would think that it is not unethical to fail to deliver on your promises, but that it is a sin to think someone should.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Jonmx,

Out of curiosity, I went to Dell's website to see if the projector was still available (I got into the game a little too late to take advantage of the price). According to the link below, it's now priced at $2536.63. Maybe they've finally got everything straightened up now (unfortunately). Or am I looking in the wrong place?

------------------

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Take you out in the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones

[url=[/URL] [URL='http://home.earthlink.net/~gjones72/page4.html%5DThe']http://home.earthlink.net/~gjones72/page4.html]The
Cellar

[This message has been edited by bugman72 (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
693 Posts
Don't know what happened with that link. Nevermind, here's the page

1-800-234-9999 Current Orderform Retrieve E-Quote Product Comparison Help

Medium & Large Business

Full Catalog Software, Peripherals & Parts

Software & Peripherals

Product Filters: Software & Peripherals Dell Parts & Upgrades

Apply Filters

Parts matching your request: 44 << Page 3 of 5 >>

Manufacturer Product Name Price Type In Stock* Orderform

COMPAQ MP2800 MICRO PROJECTOR 1024X768PERPXGA 900 LUMENS 3LBS 2YR WARR $4,667.98 Software & Peripherals add

PROXIMA Ultralight S520 Micro-Portable Multimedia LCD Projector- SVGA, 800Lumens, 5Lbs, $1,920.95 Software & Peripherals add

PHILIPS - PROJECTORS UGO X-LITE DLP PROJECTOR W/FREE VISOR DELUXE & MARGI PRESENTR-TO-GO $3,478.88 Software & Peripherals add

IN FOCUS SYSTEMS INC LP290 Micro-Portable Multimedia LCD Projector- XGA, 1100 Lumens, 5.7 LBS $3,520.18 Software & Peripherals add

TOSHIBA TLP-B2 Micro-Portable LCD Projector, XGA, 1000 Lumens $3,301.95 Software & Peripherals add

EPSON PowerLite 710c Ultra-Portable LCD Projector, XGA, 1000 Lumens $4,842.79 Software & Peripherals add

NEC TECHNOLOGIES, INC. LT85 Micro-Portable DLP Projector, SVGA, 800 Lumens, 3.3lbs $2,780.65 Software & Peripherals add

NEC TECHNOLOGIES, INC. LT150 Micro-Portable DLP Projector, XGA, 800 Lumens, 3.3lbs $2,536.63 Software & Peripherals add

NEC TECHNOLOGIES, INC. LT155 Micro-Portable MM LCD Projector, XGA 1200Lumens, 4.9 lbs $4,150.00 Software & Peripherals add

NEC TECHNOLOGIES, INC. MULTISYNC LT156 MMPROJ-1200LUMEN XGA 4.9LB $4,605.60 Software & Peripherals add

*Please note availability is based on the most recent information updated every 24 hours. In some cases, products marked as available may be out of stock.

[This message has been edited by bugman72 (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Bugman...yep, it looks like they have finally updated their web pricing this morning. Just hope I get mine for $1682....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.