AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY AE700 has uneven focus from left to right. Ive tried moving it around with no luck, is there a fix for uneven focus? This is my 3rd AE700 BTW, the first 2 had bad convergence.

Next question is will we ever get all the pixels used? Im sick of the bars at the top and bottom of the screen... does the AE700 squash the input to fit, or does it discard pixels? If it squashes, that explains the kinda non-native res look I get on text etc...

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
1.) Do you have the AE700 lined up "square" with the screen? Ideally, the PJ should be set up so that the center of the lens is aimed at the center of the screen and the front of the unit is parallel to the screen (extremely important). You can then use the lens shift to get the picture centered on the screen, if necessary. If the PJ is not positioned right, the picture will not be focused across the screen.

2.) That depends on what you're watching. You have a 16:9 format PJ. There is very little that is 16:9. Standard TV is 4:3, which will give you black bars on either side. Most new movies on DVD are "widescreen" and can be up to 2.35:1 (16:9 is 1.78:1). This will give you black bars on the top and bottom. The AE700 has a Zoom mode which will stretch the picture to use more of the pixels, at the expense of distorting the picture. Read your AE700 manual to find out what picture size options you have available (pages 30 & 31).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but its not as simple as that, as I said, this is my third AE700... the others didnt have this problem, and I have tried moving it around, it is square to the screen.

Also, are you not aware of the problem with this model projector and how it doesnt show all the horizontal 720 pixels? nothing to do with aspect ratios. The zoom modes on the pj dont fill these empty pixels.

Ive put up with it since I bought it, waiting for a flash fix, as others have discussed in the threads here.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
It almost sounds like it's time for PJ #4 (bad alignment - the panels are not positioned correctly). It sounds like you're having really bad luck (or the supplier has a batch of rejects).

I was not aware of the problem of not showing all of the pixels (from a PC source maybe?). No matter what signal you feed it, the internal circuits scale the input signal to 1280 x 720. Not all pixels will be active, depending on the picture format of the source.

An example is the DVD, Coral Reef Adventure, which is filmed in a 16:9 format. When played from a DVD player (480i or 480p), it will use all of the AE700's pixels.

That does not mean, however, is that there may not be the capability of activating all of the pixels from a computer source with a video card set to a 1280 x 720 display resolution (1:1 pixel mapping).

BTW, the PJ has 1280 horizontal pixels and 720 vertical pixels.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe
I was not aware of the problem of not showing all of the pixels (from a PC source maybe?). No matter what signal you feed it, the internal circuits scale the input signal to 1280 x 720. Not all pixels will be active, depending on the picture format of the source.
I think you are not familiar with AE700 HDMI cropping issue.

When feeding 720p mode via HDMI you get vertical cropping - 10 or so pixels are cropped from top and bottom of picture.

Easiest way to see that is to display Windows XP desktop.

There is no fix for this issue and Panasonic said it will not fix that, so you will live with HDMI cropping.

For me - its not big issue on HTPC. I only notice cropping when viewing WinXP desktop.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm is it only HDMI??? I only use VGA and I have a black bar at the bottom, and a smaller one at the top...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargin
Hmm is it only HDMI??? I only use VGA and I have a black bar at the bottom, and a smaller one at the top...
Yep - its only via HDMI. All other sources are not affected by this cropping issue.

Pretty nasty, ehh? You get best connection (HDMI), but it has cropping issue :)

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe
1.) Do you have the AE700 lined up "square" with the screen? Ideally, the PJ should be set up so that the center of the lens is aimed at the center of the screen and the front of the unit is parallel to the screen (extremely important). You can then use the lens shift to get the picture centered on the screen, if necessary. If the PJ is not positioned right, the picture will not be focused across the screen.
Wiebe, I am not sure if I understand your explanation on this.

I was under the impression that for best results, the pj of course should always be centered, (side to side) on the screen. But you should always try positioning the center of the lens with the top of the screen.

Is that what you meant? :)

Craig

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
suffolk112000, the 700 lens is centered on the image it projects when no lens shift is used. so ideally you want to have the lens centered as closely as possible to the center of your screen. however, my 700 is on a shelf about 6' off the ground and i'm using about 80% of the lens shift to lower the image. i see no noticeable degradation of image quality vs. 0% lens shift...other than that puts the image way to high on the wall for me to enjoy it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes guy I confirm that with HDMI there are 7 pixel top and 7 pixels bottom that are CROPPED via HDMI on the PAnny pt ae700.

If you use a PC out at 1280 * 720 you can adjust height and large of the images to have a perfect 1280 * 720 images.

you need to set up things in the graphic card (fx5200 for me) and also into the panny position and sizes menus.

In that way you have a perfect fittin of XP desktop with no cropping.

I did some test and for my eyes there are significant differences using HDMI 270p or VGA 1280*720 60h analog.

I think what make the differeces is the wall/screen, and what color setup you create.!!!

tell me what you think about that.

dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill have to take a photo of my screen in action, theres a projected black area at the bottom that never gets any pixels in it, perhaps its just a blanked area on the lcd panels?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.