AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a 'breakin' process for LCD backlighting? I recently purchased a Sony KLV-23HR2. Very pleased with overall PQ from HDTV cable and DVD. However, out of the box, the backlight was quite uneven when looking at black screen, letterbox bands, or dark images. There were lighter splotches here and there, but particularly around the edges. After about 10 hours of use on-and-off, the variation has reduced considerably. I wondered if cycling the unit on (hot) and off (cool) a few times has a positive effect on an LCD panel.

Thanks for any insight.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
backlights are fluorescent bulbs which typically lose some brightness in the first hours of operation- that might help explain what you describe

that said, from my experience, most larger LCD's backlight's exhibit some unevenness especially around the edges when viewing a black screen

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the perspective. Interestingly, the variations continue to smooth out as the set is used. Variations are now at a level where I probably wouldn't notice unless I were looking carefully.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I see exactly the same thing on my 23"...ONLY when the no input "blue screen" is lit, and ONLY on the extreme outside edge. I have never seen it during movie, TV or PC viewing. I really like this unit for the $, and I'm liking LCD more and more.

Ann

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.