AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a Sony 32XBR450 and am very impressed with the picture quality. I do however notice when I look at the different screen colors on my VE dvd (white, red, blue, ect.), they are not even in color on the screen, most noticeably when using white . When I use the white slide there is some slight variance on the right and left side where it is slightly darker (and almost has a slight purplish color to it) compared to the center of the tv where it is slightly brighter. I know its not just the dvd source, as I can see this problem when watching different sources such as cable/sat (although its only noticeable when there is a white background such as sky/clouds).

Should I expect to see a uniform color with a 32XBR450?

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't expect great uniformity from any consumer direct view CRT, especially the bigger sets. Has to do with the manufacturing tolerances. One would hope that XBR would outperform non-XBR in this (and all other) parameters but it hasn't been my experience. If you have it exchanged for another new-in-box of the the same model it might be even worse, much better, or just plain different but still lousy.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Sony has a problem with uneven brightness on their flat screen sets. Do a search for "Sony Uneven Brightness" in this forum and over at the Home Theater Spot. There is no fix. You just need to get lucky. Some sets are worse than others. The KV and under line are the worst off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your reply's.

I called the store where I bought the XBR to have a service technician come over and look at the TV. The service technician said that this "problem" is normal, and that if I got another TV it might be worse! I was a bit dubious of his response so I called the sales rep who sold me the TV and explained the problem to him. He suggested that I bring over the DVD and try it on one of the TV's in the store. It turns out that the DVD looks just the same on the stores TV as it does on mine. It looks like as you suggest, this is normal.

He also mentioned that the service tech was just authorized by Sony to work on their TV's, and was not actually a Sony employee/tech. The sales rep then suggested he come over to my house (great customer support from The Sony Store) and have a look at my TV and see what he thought. Now after hearing your reply's, I think I might call him and tell him not to bother. I don't mind so much that this problem exists, as long as its not just isolated to my TV. Knowing it might be a fault in my TV would bug me to no end, but if its a problem in all flat screens, including the XBR, I can live with that.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It's in all of them, but it varies from set to set. The newer XBR models are not as bad as the older ones, but Sony still cannot get rid of the problem completely. Why i have no idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.