AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The devil is in the details, but that's also where the WAF is. I just had a little nit feature get me big cool WAF, and it's also something that I've always thought was really cool about HTPCs. Not cool enough to go down this route, but rather one of the many unexpected side-benefits.

- When I'm playing a ripped DVD on one TV and I have to stop for whatever reason, TheaterTek will remember the scene I left off on. When I pull it up on either that same TV or elsewhere, TT will ask me if I want to resume from where I left off.

Not a rocket-science "what if we feed the mayo to the tuna before we catch them" event, but one of those little things that give you warm & fuzzies. We've been trying to watch this one movie for a week now, and I swear every time we start the movie our 2 yr old daughter decides she wants to hang out with mommy and daddy. We've been able to watch in 10-20 minute chunks, but it wasn't an issue as TT remembered where we were.

Did you guys run across any stupid little things like this that gave you the "dang, HTPCs are so much cooler than STB/..."?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not to burst your bubble as I love my HTPC too, however, I've got an old Pioneer dvd stb which automatically resumes from where it left off. I also have a Panny RP82 which will resume but only if I save the location before shutting down...

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure my panasonic LA95 portable does that too, but what if you take the DVD out to watch Elmo for the thousandth time? Will it remember a scene if you played it 10 DVDs/5 days ago?

And what if you want to take it to another TV? Will that other DVD player also remember the scene you last watched?

It seems to me that life is much different in multi-person households nowadays, where even the wee little ones comprehend that they can watch anything they want at any time they want in any room they want. At 2 years old, my daughter already doesn't buy the whole "Elmo isn't on now sweetie" argument. She just points at the dVine and says "make the noise" [windows startup chime].

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.