AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I've been thinking about setting up a HT in my unfinished basement for some time now.

I'm currently using a 46" flat screen with a 2.1 audio setup. I actually have enough speakers for 5.1 and a projector. I had trouble finding a practical place for everything in my living room so I've just kept it simple for now. The living room is very cozy, close to the kitchen, and easy restroom access for me and the dogs.

If I do go with the basement then I would have to move my bluray player and audio system downstairs. I don't really have the money for 2 major ht setups in the house. I could still enjoy basic tv upstairs though or maybe a standard dvd through some headphones.

I'm just worried that I might become bored sitting down in a unfinished basement all the time and end up moving all my stuff back upstairs. What would you do? Anyone still using their ht in a unfinished basement and happy with it that way after the WoW factor wears off? Some day I might build in but not right now. Would also be kind of nice to have a hideout from my gf at times.

thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
When the lights are off, everyone's HT room looks the same (all black).

·
Registered
372 Posts
I used to have a projector setup in my unfinished basement. It was awesome, I loved it.

It didn't work for day to day TV watching - like the news when you get home from work, or watching Seinfeld or Family Guy reruns when your just lounging (the type of stuff that's really more for background noise - like maybe your reading the paper or a magazine or something like that). But for bigger events, like a football game, movie, TV series your really into (desperate housewives...
), its really fun to go down and watch on the big screen.

Basically, if your gonna be bored with whats on the screen, your not going to have anythign else to do down there. But if what your watching is enough to captivate your attention, then go all out for sure. You probably won't watch stuff down there every day of the week.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
We also didn't have the spare cash to create a movie "palace" but as someone already posted all Theater viewing areas are the same when the lights are down and the big screen is lit up.

Theater in the home really can't be done with a tv of any current size - it's just not possible to get an "at the movies" experience with a tv.

So in our opinion the bare bone basics for a Theater in the Home experience are:

projector

screen

sound (surround best but a cranking stereo can work)

light control

something comfy to sit on

All the rest is decoration - not seen during the viewing experience.

Other thought is if you are a patient and careful shopper you can find more affordable components.

Our Da-lite screen was $50 at a thrift show - new in the box - same model costs $900 - our 720p projector was a store demo unit and we paid $600 while street prices were about $2500.00.

If you can find a way to step up to a Theater experience with a projector for your basement you will never regret it.

best of luck

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac /forum/post/15556574

My unfinished basement HT is my sanctuary,

and it only takes a few bucks for some concrete paint, area rugs and bargain bin curtains to make it comfortable.

A few cheap bookcases and lamps from IKEA and your golden.

We recently had a party over the holidays to show off our new home to friends and co-workers,

about a dozen people showed up and the basement was by FAR the biggest Hit of the day, no one wanted to leave.

PioManiac, your "unfinished" basement is awesome! It looks like you have a good imagination, flair for decorating on the cheap, and quality components (theater chairs, plasma, projector, etc.).

Nice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PioManiac that is very impressive. I agree with the comments about once the lights are off its all the same but that setup still looks great with the lights on. I've also been admiring the setup in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=919134

One of the only other concerns I had about the basement is insulation all over the place with the half exposed basement walls. You can smell the stuff but someone told me before thats just the glue and the insulation itself should really not be circulating down there. IMO it looks worse than concrete. I was thinking about just covering that up with drywall and possibly painting the concrete and dry wall the same color. Thats about the extent of my handyman skills.

I've also seen some people use black felt like you use the curtains but honestly I think thats a bit flammable and wouldn't want it strung all over the place. We have a jcpenny outlet I'm going to check for cheap curtains. Can you tell I'm a bit of a paranoid person?

I have a friend that does heating and cooling so he can help me pipe some extra heat in the basement. Also going to put up a few more outlets around the basement. Almost forgot to mention I already have a piece of the 12 dollar polly wall hanging up for a screen.

I do have a second receiver and cheap speakers from my first audio system that I think will work well in the living room. The sub is definitely going down stairs though. I will be happy when bluray players go down to 100 bucks so I can buy another. I guess that should be ok for a modest living room setup.

I'm starting to ramble. Thanks for the great ideas. I'm certainly convinced now. I will post some pics maybe this weekend when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork /forum/post/15558102

I was thinking about just covering that up with drywall and possibly painting the concrete and dry wall the same color.

And so it begins...

...first it will be some drywall...

...then hanging a projector...

...a new wall for better sound control...

...a home built piece of furniture for {fill in the blank}...

...and soon you'll be the envy of all the other DIY wannabes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork /forum/post/0

Thats about the extent of my handyman skills.

If you read a few of the threads around here, you'll find that most people think drywalling is one of the harder things to do...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts