AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the answer to this is no, but I'm not sure. I'm looking to run an HDMI cable through a hole that is too small for a connector head, but large enough for the cable itself. The cable itself would be 40 ft. in length. Does anyone sell unfinished HDMI cables and, if so, is finishing them myself possible (I don't solder)?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Word. That is exactly what I need. I mean, a white version would be nice, but beggars can't be choosers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like another option would be to run a mini hdmi cable through the hole and couple it to a standard hdmi cable on either end. Is there any problem with this approach (such as shortening the range)?

Does anyone know the width of a mini hdmi connector? [Edit: Wikipedia says 10.42 mm]

·
23,032 Posts
Whatever you decide to use, just make sure you test it before you put it in the wall. You're at the length where you could see issues depending on how many "breaks" (connectors) are inline and the equipment you will be using.

larry

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes, this is what I'm afraid of. As far as I understand, most people report success running HDMI up to 50 ft, but as you say I might get less range with connectors, interference, and such.

Based on the products I can find, I believe the setup will be something like the following:

TiVo >>

Monoprice powered HDMI splitter >>

30' HDMI (probably bluejeans because they make one in white; will run by an A/C and terminates behind the fridge) >>

Monoprice Female HDMI coupler >>

Monoprice HDMI Male to Mini-HDMI Female adapter >>

Monoprice 3' mini-HDMI >>

Monprice Mini-HDMI Female to HDMI Male adapter >>

Monoprice 6' Female to Male HDMI >>

TV

Is this simply too much to ask or will I have to try it to know?

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 /forum/post/15533619

Ah yes, this is what I'm afraid of. As far as I understand, most people report success running HDMI up to 50 ft, but as you say I might get less range with connectors, interference, and such.

Based on the products I can find, I believe the setup will be something like the following:

TiVo >>

Monoprice powered HDMI splitter >>

30' HDMI (probably bluejeans because they make one in white; will run by an A/C and terminates behind the fridge) >>

Monoprice Female HDMI coupler >>

Monoprice HDMI Male to Mini-HDMI Female adapter >>

Monoprice 3' mini-HDMI >>

Monprice Mini-HDMI Female to HDMI Male adapter >>

Monoprice 6' Female to Male HDMI >>

TV

Is this simply too much to ask or will I have to try it to know?

Are you running HDMI to two devices (i.e. TV & Projector)? If so I would use the Monoprice 4x2 HDMI switch instead of powered splitter. Splitters always seem to have HDCP issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, running the TiVo to both the living room and bedroom TV's. I don't need any switching capacity, but I gather you're just saying that for whatever reason straight up splitters have their issues with HDCP and switchers don't so I should take advantage of the 4 x 2 unit's splitting capability. AFAIK, the Monoprice 1 x 2 splitter is HDCP compliant, although some users report problems limited to PS3. The 1 x 2 unit is half the price of the matrix switcher, but at least the switcher is in stock.

·
23,032 Posts
Except for "bugs" in the specific implementation I can't see why a 4x2 switch/splitter would be different than a 1x2 splitter. I'd go for the 4x2 if possible. Sooner or later you have to get a BD player otherwise you'll never see what "real" HDTV looks like.

larry

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke to customer service at Monoprice. The rep said:

The cheaper 1 x 2 splitter, product ID 5068, isn't rated for a very long run (can't remember the exact length, but not close to 40 feet).

The more expensive 1 x 2 splitter, product ID 3064, is rated up to 75 feet.

And the 4 x 2 matrix, product ID 4802, is rated up to 100 feet (although he said there was a somewhat different rating standard used for 4802 than 3064).

With practically no difference in price, it only makes sense to get the matrix switcher for its better rating, a seemingly lower chance of HDCP issues, and (one never knows what the future holds) other capabilities.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooone /forum/post/15546675

I think that you better go with HDMI wall-plate. It looks more professional.

But you want to avoid the added connection point. Always avoid HDMI plates if possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts