AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i strolled into Best Buy and Circuit City looking for some movies, and as i have done everytime i'm in those stores, after pulling my titles, i walked over to the tv displays.

now, for the past 2 years i've gone over to look (and drool) at all the nice digital RP's, and even after getting a 53" sony just 6 months ago, i would still go over and look, and be a little dissapointed when i found a different, or more costlier, brand seemed to have a slightly sharper image, or a 61" just seemed to be so much bigger than mine...

"oh well," i'd think "i should be very thankful for what i have, since a lot of people only dream about owning sets this big"

but i still leave the store slightly wistful.

yesterday was the first time i actually walked out of those store with a big silly grin on my face.

i didn't see one tv, when i looked at it very critically, that gave off a picture any better than the one put out by my LT150, and now even these massive 61" sets look puny in comparison.

to quote the commercial:

cost of (1) Nec Lt150 $1770

cost of fuel to get to the store: $.75

satisfaction you feel after walking out the door: priceless!

·
Registered
65 Posts
>>cost of (1) Nec Lt150 $1770

You guys that got in on this deal need to stop rubbing it in!

I just ordered one for $2380

------------------

Look before you leap - He who hesitates is lost.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Dude,

YOU got a deal! believe me.

you'll see when you finally get it in and hooked up, but i saw nothing in either of those stores that could come close to what you can achieve with this projector for ANY amount of money, let alone $2380.

its worth every penny you paid and then some.

welcome to the club!

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 08-29-2001).]

·
Registered
118 Posts
ckolcha,

I could not agree with you more.

I got an LT154 last night. $1927 from EBay (LT154 is same as LT155 without MLA)

I know it's not a LT150 but its a FP.

Put it on a 60" screen; it was a !WOW!c> factor in my books.

And now I just got back from Best Buy during lunch. And I was comparing what I saw. And said to my self mine looks a lot better from all angels. Then When I saw your post I had to respond to it, and could not agree with you more about the quality of an FP against an RP. Next I'm getting a 100" screen (DA-Lite) and a line doubler/scaler (Quadscan Elite).

Then compare it to my brothers HDTV 45". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by tim_f (edited 08-29-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
ckolchak,

I have to agree with you there!

I have this (new) nasty habit of trying to "educate" the poor folks in the "big screen" section of our local Best Buy and Circuit City stores.

The potential buyers are there with notebooks and pens, taking notes on the different models (to research on the Internet, to be sure), and I just have to pull up and say,

"She's a beauty. It's just too bad about the small screen size. Four thousand dollars is way overpriced for a 60 inch screen."

Usually they bite, and then I educate them to the product line that they are not seeing. I drop the topic quickly if someone really wants an RPTV, but offer up free mini-lessons to anyone interested in knowing more. I try not to be a pest, but be genuinely helpful.

It's a fine line sometimes...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I went to GoodGuys last night to see if the Toshiba SD4700s had come in yet. The salesdroid said "Wha..." and checked his computer. The last one that I talked to, said that they would be in the warehouse on the 25th. This one said the same, only this time, he got the month right...October 25. Sigh...

OK, of course he tried to sell me on a floor model, I told him that I wanted progressive scan. He asked me what model set I had, and I said that I had an NEC front projector. "Wha...", He asked what size screen I had, and I said about 100". He asked me if it took progressive in, and I said yes, through the VGA port. He said "Wha..."

I told him that I had it with me. He looked at me like one looks at people who walk down the street with aluminum foil wrapped around their head. I unslung my little NEC travel bag, and pulled out the LT150, and slipped off the lens cover to show him that it wasn't a clockradio thingie.

There comes a point in human evolution when random brain cells collide and make nice. He suddenly grasped the situation.

I told him about the Dell deal. I told him about AVSforum. I told him about chroma bugs, scalars, DLP... I even told him about rainbows.

All he really knew about the gear that he sold up to then was price points, spiffs, and scattered buzzwords.

I walked out without buying a single thing. Haven't done that in a while.

I left the salesman in his silly little world of horribly setup RPTVs, Monster Cable, and Extended Warranties...

I haven't had that much fun with a salesman since I used to work for Pacific Stereo 20 years ago.

apg

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
"I'm sorry but that should not be allowed that is just plain cruel... "

Yeah, I was too busy becoming an AV geek as a kid, I never had time to learn how to pull wings off flies... Never had a chance to get it out of my system....

"( I wish I could have been there to see the guys face!)"

Well, when you go through life as a bottom feeding mouth breather, your jaw can only drop so far...

I don't want to disparage all salesmen- I knew some wonderful, enthusiastic ones at Pacific Stereo, (Hi, John Wargo, wherever you are...), and the ones that prowl these forums are first rate- scholars and gentlemen all.

But certain salesmen have an cultural ethic- they can sell anything, no matter what it is. They don't care. I know when I'm being "sold". It irritates me no end. In fact, I rarely sell anything myself when I'm done with it, I usually give it away...

apg

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Unforseen liability. . .

I can't turn the damn thing off, it is SO cool!

Dan

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hmm.. I don't think I've ever walked around Future Shops, A&B Sounds, Circuit CIties, or Best Buys with my projector... Hmm.. I have it with me right now.. perhaps I will take a walk over there... =>

Friend borrowed it for "Movie Night" => Benefits of having a 5 lb DLP eh?

------------------
Klutzo,

the newbie HT Boy.

BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.

Proxima DX3 main FP

Sharpvision Backup FP

Sony Wega aux monitor

Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Sega Dreamcast (various controllers)

Please, feel free to visit the klutzoplex! Click the link below. => www.klutzoplex.f2s.com

·
Registered
728 Posts
"Hmm.. I don't think I've ever walked around Future Shops, A&B Sounds, Circuit CIties, or Best Buys with my projector...

Hmm.. I have it with me right now.. perhaps I will take a walk over there... =>"

Yeah, these days anybody can whip a computer out of their pocket and take notes. Now, a sign of a true geek is whipping out a Theater...

"Friend borrowed it for "Movie Night" => Benefits of having a 5 lb DLP eh?"

Yup, especially when it's only _3_ lbs. Four times in the last couple of weeks, on the spur of the moment, I've been able to set up a theater while visiting. If GoodGuys had the SD4700 in stock, I could have tested it there and then.

apg

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Having a good quality FP set-up has taken all the fun out of A/V stores. I've had the same experience. The thrill is gone. On one hand, it feels really good. But a chapter has closed. When a salesman start the intro questions for his pitch, I get really embarassed for some reason. It's like being in a spelling contest with a 1st grader.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Yeah, its almost too easy.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
150 Posts
Milori's post reminds me of about 3 years ago when I was buying my first DVD player(for my 32" mits before I'd even thought about FP).

I walked into the local BestBuy and started looking around. Ran into another guy who was looking also and we got talking. Turns out that he was researching also. We started discussing the pros/cons for different players, recievers and general HT.

After about 10 min., a couple who were kind of hovering around, came over and asked which DVD player they should get between the two they had shortlisted. I forget now, but we asked them a few questions and recommended one.

Looking at this going on, another person came over with questions and finally left with our recommended player.

Then we overheard an elderly couple - the guy said "Let's ask them" and the lady said "they don't even work here". So we approached them and helped them out in deciding on a VCR.

The kicker was - both of us still had some more research to do, so we left without buying anything.

Well, 3 sales is pretty good - for non-employees, that is

;-)

Cheers,

SP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.