Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, am I a stupid idiot!

As some of you may know from my previous questions, I just did a fresh install of XP. When XP gets all loaded up I noticed that the local drive is E... naturally I'm puzzled by this so I do some investigation. As it turns out, my RAID drives had somehow become my C: drive and well, during the installation I asked it to format the C drive... goodbye all my MP3 & AVI files! For the past two nights I've set out to try and restore this format. I bought a software called Hard Drive Mechanic that claims to restore formatted drives... well, it appears I just wasted $70 becuase it doesn't work. Every step works except for the actual DOS Boot Record restore... I am, however able to pull up a "Singe File Processor" which shows me every single file I had but when I get to the point of restoring those the software laughs at me too... I'm going to try the good old DOS 6.22 unformat command tonight, but in case that doesn't work does anyone else have any ideas? Any surefire softwares (reasonably priced at that) that can help me? It was a FAT32 RAID1 setup used only for audio and video storage. Anything would be much appreciated. And, I know, I know... once I get everything back (restored or not) I'm going to start using that copy of Drive Image I've had sitting on my rack for a few weeks now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
I've had good luck using the file restore utility that's included with Symantec's Norton SystemWorks product, although I'll admit I've never used it in a situation quite as (apparently) far gone as yours. I've used it under both Windows 2000 and Win98, in both cases finding files on a mounted FAT32 volume.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.