AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided on a Panasonic TV. My viewing distance is approximately 10-11 feet. I've decided at this distance, a 720p display will be fine, and is obviously the more economical solution. My problem lays in that I think a 42" (TH42PX75) display might be a little small... and the 50" (TH50PX75) is such a significant leap, price-wise. Unfortunately, neither the Panasonic, or the Pioneer (the other brand I seriously considered) sell a 46" TV.


42" to 50" is a pretty big leap not only in price, but in size. Is it worth my money to go to a 50" in a room this size?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
Yes.I have a pioneer 43 and for four years Ive been sitting about 7 ft away and am now going to upgrade to a 1080p 50 and sit the same distance away.All sets look too small when you are exposed to larger sets.For four years i wished i had bought a 50 and with 8g Pioneers i now have a reason more than just size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadam /forum/post/0


I've decided on a Panasonic TV. My viewing distance is approximately 10-11 feet. I've decided at this distance, a 720p display will be fine, and is obviously the more economical solution. My problem lays in that I think a 42" (TH42PX75) display might be a little small... and the 50" (TH50PX75) is such a significant leap, price-wise. Unfortunately, neither the Panasonic, or the Pioneer (the other brand I seriously considered) sell a 46" TV.


42" to 50" is a pretty big leap not only in price, but in size. Is it worth my money to go to a 50" in a room this size?

Guess you already know, during the last week, the 50"' Panasonic dropped 10%. The 42" did not. Factor in the normal discounts you will find (street price authorized) the 50" is about $550 to $600 more than the 42" Both sets will be good at the 10' distance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat_Matt /forum/post/0


At a distance of 10-11 ft. I would recommend at least a 50" display.

I sit the same distance from my 50" and would agree with this statement. I plan on upgrading to one of the new Pioneers when they come out, and will probably get the 60". I think down the line, you will wish you had the 50" over the 42". Better to spend more now and not wonder if you should have gone bigger. To me, it would be worth the price difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/0


Guess you already know, during the last week, the 50"' Panasonic dropped 10%. The 42" did not. Factor in the normal discounts you will find (street price authorized) the 50" is about $550 to $600 more than the 42" Both sets will be good at the 10' distance

The last I checked, the 50" was still priced at $2799CDN (~$2585US), the regular price is listed at $3199... but at these big box retailers, the regular price seems to mean nothing these days. The 42" is 1899CDN (~$1750US), so it's a little more of a price jump for me between the two sets, compared to US customers. This is the cheapest I can buy these sets in my neck of the woods, unless I order online from the States. Doing so nets me a couple negatives, shipping costs and insurance are prohibitive (I'm 500 miles north of Vancouver), and Panasonic Canada doesn't like to warranty models bought in the USA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TV should be here on Friday
Thanks for the input. I couldn't find a TH50PX77 anywhere in town, and I would have liked the anti-glare coating. Is this something that can be added to a TV?


Also, to the moderators of the area, I see that sometimes prices are edited out. Please forgive me if I've broken a rule above, and feel free to fix me with some "X"'s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadam /forum/post/0


42" to 50" is a pretty big leap not only in price, but in size. Is it worth my money to go to a 50" in a room this size?

Yes, it's worth it. I'm at the same distance and I think 42 would be too small. 50 seems just about perfect to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
The PX77 series in Canada are only available at Future Shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panagurl /forum/post/0


The PX77 series in Canada are only available at Future Shop.

That's where I bought my PX75, I didn't see the PX77 there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
50" or larger.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top