AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I was in high school I built a really nice MAME machine in shop class. Now that I'm in University I really want to bring it with me. The problem is there's no way I can get it into the house we're renting (small door and narrow stairs). So, when I built it I just glued it, which in retrospect was probably not the greatest idea. Does anyone have any idea of the best way to get this apart without wrecking it and then reassembling it? I figure when I put it back together I'll just use screws but taking it apart could be messy. Anyone had this experience?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Wow. It might be better to just pickup a mameroom designs bartop case and reconfigure with that. I have found that ungluing is a severe pain. Had to do some of that in my current mame cab and the glue was tougher than the wood so some damage occured. Fortunately the damage is inside the cabinet and not really a problem.

You might be able to put together a new one with the same effort.

Anyhow good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The best I can suggest would cut it apart, like the video cabinet from the bottom part, and then piece it back together (from the inside) with screws.

Maybe remove all the electronics and then cut the sides off it as close to the joints as possible with a circular saw or jig saw. Once you get it inside reassemble the unit with screws, blocks of wood for support and L-brackets.

If you plan on keeping this cabinet, it's may not look too pretty after the re-assembly. You might get lucky and find someone to but hte cabinet from yuo and them you can build a new one that easier to take apart.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
can you show pics of cabinet

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you haven't already done it, a jag saw would work best at the connecting point. Trying to unglue it would cause more damage. Putting it back would require some restoring skills, but nothing like new support joints, some bondo and paint can't fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts