AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair of Pioneer BS22 bookshelves a while back, and the overall tonality quality is very good. The trouble is that at moderately high volumes for certain frequencies, they begin to show some type of internal vibration or crackling sound which is audible and unpleasant. (Both speakers.) I've been using them as computer speakers and for a lot of the time they're okay. However I've started using them as nearfield monitors (primarily for guitar) and in that situation the vibrations are significantly worse and very noticeable, for whatever reason. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there something I can do to fix it, or should I move on to some other speakers? It's not clear to me whether this is a defect (in which case I can complain to Pioneer about warranty) since it affects both speakers.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promit  /t/1523332/unhappy-with-pioneer-bs22-unpleasant-vibrations-crackling#post_24504031

I picked up a pair of Pioneer BS22 bookshelves a while back, and the overall tonality quality is very good. The trouble is that at moderately high volumes for certain frequencies, they begin to show some type of internal vibration or crackling sound which is audible and unpleasant. (Both speakers.) I've been using them as computer speakers and for a lot of the time they're okay. However I've started using them as nearfield monitors (primarily for guitar) and in that situation the vibrations are significantly worse and very noticeable, for whatever reason. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there something I can do to fix it, or should I move on to some other speakers? It's not clear to me whether this is a defect (in which case I can complain to Pioneer about warranty) since it affects both speakers.

It could be you are driving them too hard, or your amp is clipping... What are you using to power the speakers?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a monster sc-25 and they absorb plenty of clean quality amplification. I even use them in THX mode and they can hang. What receiver are you using? The 22's definitely changed and improved changing from a Aventage a830 to the ice class D juice the sc-25 provides.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1523332/unhappy-with-pioneer-bs22-unpleasant-vibrations-crackling#post_24504917

It could be you are driving them too hard, or your amp is clipping... What are you using to power the speakers?
I have a Lepai TA2020. I didn't think it was loud enough to be clipping and it doesn't seem to matter if I bring the input level down and push the volume knob up. I have a class T bare board with much more output power (2x50W I think?) that I will test with.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promit  /t/1523332/unhappy-with-pioneer-bs22-unpleasant-vibrations-crackling#post_24505317

I have a Lepai TA2020. The noise doesn't seem like clipping, and appears at volumes well below headroom (quite moderate actually) when monitoring a guitar. I think I have another class T bare board sitting around with much more power on board that I can test though, so I'll give that a shot to make sure.

That amp is good for nearfield use, or light background music, but at "moderately high" volumes it is going to struggle. Especially since the Pioneers are 6 ohm speakers and only have a sensitivity of 85dB.

·
Registered
475 Posts

I have one of those amps (as seen here ) in the garage driving an old pair of bookshelf speakers for when I workout. It's an $18 amp. At moderately high volumes it isn't going to do all that great. 

How far are you turning the volume/gain dial on the amp before you get the unwanted sound(s)? I haven't turned mine past halfway because it sounds stressed. 

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I dragged one of my FS52s over to my computer and it's also crackling. I'm pretty sure all my speakers aren't bad, and that it's coming from upstream somewhere. My bigger T amp is doing it too, and I suspect that perhaps there's something it doesn't like about being driven by a headphone out. I'm going to find a different amplifier and possibly some XLR->RCA cables to pull from the rackmount stuff I have. Letting the Pioneers off the hook on this one. Thanks for pointing me towards the amplifier on this one, I should've thought of that and tested more thoroughly. I'd just grab an old stereo receivers I have but between three monitors and rackmounts, I am physically out of space. Might be good to test though.

(That said, I'm not convinced the BS22s don't have a slight vibration issue.)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Definitely sounds like an enclosure resonance. The pioneers have a fairly lively cabinet as can be expected in any speakers anywhere near their price point. You seem to have found a resonant frequency.

You could try some viscoelastic material between the speakers and the desk. Maybe blu tack, maybe sorbothane pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts