AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month or so I have had a really weird picture phenomenon with my 6000. If you watch a Dish channel that is fairly compressed and the image is still (like a closeup of a face), you will see objects appear to move on their own as if possessed. For instance, hair may move around on a persons head, or a fence will move up and down, a lampshade will move around, etc.

I emailed Dish PQ and they told me what I was seeing is their "statistical multiplexing" at work. They allocate bandwidth to a channel depending on what the requirements are for that channel at a given moment in time. So if a lot of action is happening, that channel will receive more bandwidth and the others on that transponder will receive less.

Anyway, I have now noticed the same problem on 2 OTA channels: PBS and FOX. I was watching a clip of Pavorotti (SP?) on PBS the other night and he has a big hairdo and the hair looks as if it is floating around on top of his head. This is very annoying and I am appealing to other 6000 owners to see if you are experiencing this or to see If I have a defective unit.

The channels where this is very noticeable are: True, Love, Mystery and Action, but I have seen it on all channels except the HD and the best premium channels. It seems the problem does not exist with high bandwidth dedicated channels.

Please let me know if anyone else is seeing this.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
How close are you sitting? If you're sitting the "correct" (designed for) distance of 3x picture height for HD, then on SD channels all sorts of weird MPEGs effects are going to be visible. This will be even worse if you have a 4:3 set - in that case, sitting close enough for a HD picture will be way, way too close for the bigger 4:3 SD picture (the main reason why 4:3 "HD ready" sets make no sense to me, but that's a different topic).

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am the correct distance away. I am viewing on a 27" NTSC set that is properly calibrated. This does not happen with analog channels, only digital and only since about 1 month ago. I've had my 6000 for 5 months now and have never seen these things happening till recently. It is not "normal" MPEG artifacting, it is as if the elements in the picture are made of cut-out components and they all move independently of each other on the screen. It is very hard to picture what is happening unless you have seen it. Things just seem to "float" in space by themselves.

I can record these effects and play them back, so I know I am not hallucinating.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven't notice on the HD channels yet, but have been seeing it on the East and West Coast feeds of CBS, NBC and ABC over DishNetwork for the last few years. Even before I got my 6000. Shows like the Practice are real bad. Hair just moves around on it's own. Really annoying once you discover it. I figured it was poor compression and decompression of the signal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes!!! I attributed it to something I ate.

I noticed it once about a week ago and I think while watching a Dish JVC D-VHS into NTSC input on my Mits WS-73903. You are right on about the hair and background.

I'll report back with more details if I see it again.

Ray

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have had the 6000 since late January--haven't noticed the problem on mine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've seen this problem off and on (more on than off lately) now for a while. I usually see it on locals and UPN, WSBK, PAX, etc. I've never seen it on the HD content channels which makes senses given that they do little to no compression on those.

Is it my imagination or does Dish PQ get worse and worse and worse... It seems to me that when I first signed up with Dish Network some 3 years ago the picture was great. Now, more often than not, it looks like crap. I guess thats the price we pay for Dish's decision to cram in all of those stations we don't watch. If only Dish Network had a quality vs quantity mentality.

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.