AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I was reading over the DVD-Audio spec and there is a very little known fact about DVD-Audio.

DVD-Audio specifies there are six FULL range channels. But not how these channels have to be used.

For example, the bass channel could be dropped in favor of a height channel (called Telarc height channel) for a more 3 dimensional front sound.

Then there's the 2+2+2 format by MDG in Germany which uses two front ambience channels of height.

Only the Yamaha DSP-AZ9 with it's two front effects/ambience speaker amps and digital transfer would be able to reproduce these formats.* (Unless you don't mind moving your speakers between DVD-A disc)

Information about all the formats is listed here: (You'll need to read 2/3 way down) http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...o-11-2001.html

(Thanks to secrets)

~D

*That is if the RX-Z9 supports meta tags in it's decoder regarding speaker placement

·
Registered
187 Posts
I believe this is true of both DVD-Audio and SACD. Chesky 6-channel audio disks use the full range of all 6 channels, and output them assuming four front speakers and one pair of surrounds. It's quite annoying, since it is impractical for most of us to set up our speaker systems to only address Chesky CDs. While in theory the Yamaha receiver could handle this, I doubt it has a special "Chesky" mode.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Yamahaluver
Getting the Z-9 next week and will find out how all this works out.
You bum. I wonder if I can trade in my wedding for a new Z9?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I imagine that if you purchased the Z9...you would in fact be trading your wedding for it.

Either way you go - congratulations;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.