AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now we have a switch that controls both an interior and exterior light. This is a pain because we have to have both lights on at the same time. I would like to have individual control of the lights as well as IR control. There is no ground ran to the lights but there is a nutral. The IR control will not be line of sight so RF would work as long as I can have a IR to RF reciever in my media room. The Solution doesn't have to be dimmable but that would be a plus.

Any ideas on what I can use to accomplish this?

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I have the same exact situation and this is an example of an easy answer that drove WAF for automated lighting very high. What I personally did was to rewire the switch so that te external lamp *always* had power, then use a screwin zWave external lamp module for on/off. Given that I did not have an actual switch nearby but I did have an Elk keypad, I mapped F6 on the keypad to an output that CQC monitors and toggle it true/false.

Hence when I press F5 on my security system keypad, the light toggles it's current state. I like the toggle bit so I don't need 1 button for on, 1 button for off.

Here's some pics thay may help illustrate this solution.
External Lamp Module

Here's the Elk keypad. You can't really see too clearly here, but the F6 is on the left side so you can turn the light on/off with the keypad cover closed.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Oh yeah, totally forgot that I can also use my zWave controller. I don't ever touch that since I've got the Elk & touchpanels.

I'd have my same generic concern about anything X10 related, and that I've heard so many folks with issues that my wife would basically give up using it and WAF would drop in other locations. At least with zWave, you're beginning to move forward with something that could help you in other areas. All you'd need is a controller and that module, so it would still only be ~$100. Given that zWave is so solid, esp if you use the controller closer to the actul switch, you might be happier from a WAF perspective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.