AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a subwoofer, but it has to meet some unusual criteria. I can spend around $500, and I simply want the absolute best sub for that process range. I will be using it for home theater only. The popular choices seem to be the entry level svs and epik subs, and they sound great, but they are not an option for my situation.

I have a friend at a retailer who can get me mainstream brands at cost. As svs and epik are buy direct to us in the US, he cannot get the low price. I need a sub that isn't from a buy-direct manufacturer, and I want the very best for a $500 budget. I can go a little over budget if its really going to be worth it.

I don't trust the opinions of the salesmen at through local vendors, so I'm putting my faith in this community instead. What should i get? Polk? Klipsch? Bic? Something else?

My setup is a humble theater in my 12x18 living room. Devices are run to a closet via the attic.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyfisher
I need a subwoofer, but it has to meet some unusual criteria. I can spend around $500, and I simply want the absolute best sub for that process range. I will be using it for home theater only. The popular choices seem to be the entry level svs and epik subs, and they sound great, but they are not an option for my situation.

I have a friend at a retailer who can get me mainstream brands at cost. As svs and epik are buy direct to us in the US, he cannot get the low price. I need a sub that isn't from a buy-direct manufacturer, and I want the very best for a $500 budget. I can go a little over budget if its really going to be worth it.

I don't trust the opinions of the salesmen at through local vendors, so I'm putting my faith in this community instead. What should i get? Polk? Klipsch? Bic? Something else?

My setup is a humble theater in my 12x18 living room. Devices are run to a closet via the attic.
It's hard to help if we don't know what $500 at-cost translates to in retail prices. You might get some choices that are $500 retail, but only $300 for you, so the price range will be off. Do you have some example models/prices that are on offer by your friend?

Are those the only brands that he sells? Polk, Klipsch and Bic?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The only thing I don't understand is why you want a name brand sub. Your friend can get you a sub at cost, BUT all internet direct companies sell their subs at cost. So I see no benefit in buying a name brand sub from your friend. I would still recommend, SVS, Elemental Designs, Outlaw Audio, and HSU research subs. Stretch your budget to $550 or $600 and you can have a very good sub from one of the Internet direct companies. A true sub that will go below 20hz +/- 3db.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking at $500 retail. For example, he can get me the klipsch SW-110 at a little over $200 when the MSRP is around $500. This is the class of speaker I'm looking at. I'm also giving consideration to the klipsch SW-112, but I want to know if I would be better off with something else. I would get the svs, but with my special situation, ill actually only be spending about half of what other brands offer if I go with a product that isn't direct sale. That means the svs and epiks would have to be twice as good as their competitors in the same price range for it to be worth it for me.

In short, if I can get a $500 klipsch, polk, etc that performs even 60% of what the $500 svs can do, it will be more bang for my buck as I will be able to get it for half price.

Thanks for the thoughts. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's a buyer for a home theater design consultant. They can order basically anything, but there is just no discount if they order from direct sell vendors such as svs and epik. If you can get it from any brick and mortar store in the US, he claims he can get it.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I'm confused. You say you can spend around $500 and then that you want a $500 retail at cost.

So can you spend $500, $200 or $250?

Then you need to compare what your friend can get for what you can get for the same money.

Some people might get a PA-120 for that $200 then the Klipsch SW-110.

So if your budget is say $250, you need to explore what you could buy for $250 from an ID sub company and then compare that against what your friend could get.

But do check out those Paradigms; if a 3200 fits your budget it would be a good choice (I had a DSP-3100 for a while).

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have tested almost every store brand of sub out there and can tell you that the entry level subs from ID companies far excel subs sold in stores, even those costing 4 times as much. Your best bet is to either buy an entry level SVS, Hsu or Epik or go DIY and build an awsome sub for 500.00 and not worry about what you can save. Why worry about buying a sub for 500.00 from a company like Klispch or Def Tech when for the same 500.00 you can buy an awesome sub from SVS or Hsu. Trust me in the long run you'll be much happier and this is coming from a guy who owns, Deftech Prosubs, Supercube 1's and JBL subs, my SVS blows them all away and has power to spare.

btw Bobby there are alot of people searching for you. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first post was misleading. My budget isn't actually $500. I'm looking for a sub that's listed at $500, but that I can get through my friend for around half of that.

Actual budget is $200-$300, but since there is no way for you all to know the process my friend can order the sub at, I'm focusing on the $500 MSRP range. Kindof a long story, I know.

I agree that if I was actually on a $500-$600 the svs would be the way to go. Unfortunately, I'm newly married and we just bought our first house. Maybe I will be able to afford dual empires in my twilight years

Let me know if you need any more clarification on my strange situation.

Really appreciate the info. I'll check if they can get the subs you all mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.