AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Mission M-cube system powered by a Onkyo TX-SR806 amp. The system sounded very nice until the subwoofer died. Given that I've been waiting more than a month to even find out if its possible to buy a circuit board to replace the one that failed, I'm no longer optimistic about repair and am considering other options.

The problem that I face is that the M-cube speakers use a technology called DML (Distributed Mode Loudspeaker). While they sound very good at frequencies about 250 Hz or so, they don't go perform well below that range and are actually damaged if this is not filtered out correctly. So, the subwoofer that comes with the system accepts all the channels in use, filters the lower frequency and amplifies it at the sub. Aside from a bit more directionality from the subwoofer, the result really was quite good. However, with the subwoofer dead, I face a problem.

Is anyone aware of a subwoofer that could replace the one used in the M-cube system - both in terms of higher than normal frequency response AND filtering the lower frequencies from the ones sent to the speakers?

If not, I'll probably be posting for suggestions for a whole new system - I'm not getting something where specific components are essentially irreplaceable again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster /forum/post/18155234

I own a Mission M-cube system powered by a Onkyo TX-SR806 amp. The system sounded very nice until the subwoofer died. Given that I've been waiting more than a month to even find out if its possible to buy a circuit board to replace the one that failed, I'm no longer optimistic about repair and am considering other options.

The problem that I face is that the M-cube speakers use a technology called DML (Distributed Mode Loudspeaker). While they sound very good at frequencies about 250 Hz or so, they don't go perform well below that range and are actually damaged if this is not filtered out correctly. So, the subwoofer that comes with the system accepts all the channels in use, filters the lower frequency and amplifies it at the sub. Aside from a bit more directionality from the subwoofer, the result really was quite good. However, with the subwoofer dead, I face a problem.

Is anyone aware of a subwoofer that could replace the one used in the M-cube system - both in terms of higher than normal frequency response AND filtering the lower frequencies from the ones sent to the speakers?

If not, I'll probably be posting for suggestions for a whole new system - I'm not getting something where specific components are essentially irreplaceable again.

Thanks!

You cant set your receiver to small, use a 250hz crossover point and then just get a decent powered sub? That receiver looks nice i would think it could do that.

What died on the Mcube? the cube power or the sub power? or just the whole thing quit?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first bad sign was that the sub started blowing fuses instantly - it wouldn't indicate it had powered on at all and the fuse had blown. The circuit board that seems to be responsible for AC/DC conversion had areas where the glue exhibited signs of heat damage on boards with resistors. My uncle (decent electrician) looked at it and suspected a capacitor blew, and may have taken additional components with it. The board is a lot more complex than just a power converter, but I couldn't follow what it was doing after that.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster /forum/post/18155446

The first bad sign was that the sub started blowing fuses instantly - it wouldn't indicate it had powered on at all and the fuse had blown. The circuit board that seems to be responsible for AC/DC conversion had areas where the glue exhibited signs of heat damage on boards with resistors. My uncle (decent electrician) looked at it and suspected a capacitor blew, and may have taken additional components with it. The board is a lot more complex than just a power converter, but I couldn't follow what it was doing after that.

Yeah leaky caps can cause problems, shorted speakers, output transistors its hard to say.

I would still think that if you looked into the receiver and set its speaker size to small, set your crossover to match the speakers then get a decent sub it would sound just as good if not better.

Have you ohmed out all the cubes to make sure they arnt damaged? you may want to start there first before you posibly damage your receiver. Im not a fan of cube speakers at all they never have the midrange i like.

So what you were doing is just using the receiver to send the (preamp) signal to the cube thing right? The cubes were being powered by the amp inside the main woofer cube module and now the amp has failed?

What you dont know is: did the power supply fail? did the sub amp fail? or the small cube amp fail? If you dont know any of these things you need to trouble shoot what actualy is bad. If one of the little cubes has shorted then you need all new speakers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help Bower. I probably didn't describe the situation perfectly before. The system is very unusual in that I connect the amplifier output for my five speakers and sub ALL straight into the subwoofer. I then connect the speakers to the output on the subwoofer. The sub doesn't add or subtract from the amplification (aside from removing the low range). When the subwoofer died, all five of the speakers played normally. I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't catch the sub being off for a bit (I'll blame it on a low sound quality TV show I hadn't seen and wasn't expecting good sound on).

So, the five cubes are all working, as is the amplifier. However, I quit using them entirely once I noticed that the sub wasn't powering on. Inside the subwoofer, we have an idea where the problem is on the first board - I can't tell if one of the other boards inside might have also been damaged.

I'll check into whether I can adjust the crossover on my amp. I hadn't thought about that at all, but that could solve my problem as long as I can find another sub that goes up relatively high.

Thanks again for the help,

Paul

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster /forum/post/18157156

Thanks for the help Bower. I probably didn't describe the situation perfectly before. The system is very unusual in that I connect the amplifier output for my five speakers and sub ALL straight into the subwoofer. I then connect the speakers to the output on the subwoofer. The sub doesn't add or subtract from the amplification (aside from removing the low range). When the subwoofer died, all five of the speakers played normally. I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't catch the sub being off for a bit (I'll blame it on a low sound quality TV show I hadn't seen and wasn't expecting good sound on).

So, the five cubes are all working, as is the amplifier. However, I quit using them entirely once I noticed that the sub wasn't powering on. Inside the subwoofer, we have an idea where the problem is on the first board - I can't tell if one of the other boards inside might have also been damaged.

I'll check into whether I can adjust the crossover on my amp. I hadn't thought about that at all, but that could solve my problem as long as I can find another sub that goes up relatively high.

Thanks again for the help,

Paul

Thats a weird setup. So your running 10 sets of speaker wires? from receiver to bass cube thing, then to each little cube? Sounds like a mess

Is this an old design? you may not find a sub that goes that high, i never thought of that. The 2 i have start at like 120?

Your receiver looks new enough to have an LFE out wich would hook to a self powered sub so you could use it as a crossover so the small cubes dont blow.

A whole new set of speakers may come with a sub that covers a higher range.

Are you set on the cube style? What about a slightly larger setup with a 2 way speaker arrangement? Those usualy cover more of a range of sound so the sub doesnt need to go as high.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, there are efectively 10 speaker wires total, although the system came with a large cable that is effectively 10 speaker wires on one end, and a plug to go into the cube. It's still a bit of a mess. I got the system 3 years ago, but it's still sold. Mission pulled out of the US shortly after I bought it, but apparently picked up a distributor here recently. You're welcome to look if you're curious.

http://www.mission.co.uk/system.php?...=8&sector_id=4
http://www.amazon.com/Mission-M-Cube.../dp/B000ARISWU

But you're right. I haven't been able to locate a subwoofer that can replace what the rather unique one with the M-cube system does, and I'm very seriously considering replaceing it altogether.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Paul

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster /forum/post/18160441

Yes, there are efectively 10 speaker wires total, although the system came with a large cable that is effectively 10 speaker wires on one end, and a plug to go into the cube. It's still a bit of a mess. I got the system 3 years ago, but it's still sold. Mission pulled out of the US shortly after I bought it, but apparently picked up a distributor here recently. You're welcome to look if you're curious.

http://www.mission.co.uk/system.php?...=8&sector_id=4
http://www.amazon.com/Mission-M-Cube.../dp/B000ARISWU

But you're right. I haven't been able to locate a subwoofer that can replace what the rather unique one with the M-cube system does, and I'm very seriously considering replaceing it altogether.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Paul

Well i dont know how much advice i gave but by looking at your receiver, it seems like a waste of power. The receiver you have may have a better designed amp in it then the cube thing. I would bet that it has more control to better tune it for a sound you would probobly enjoy more.

This is a good place to start though, there is alot of very helpful people that know alot about all this stuff.

If it was me (and i had your receiver) ide decide on the size of speakers i had room for, decide on a budget and build a whole new speaker package. Like i said you already have a decent start with that receiver.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I just went to you links you posted, are these cubes? or are these transducers of some kind? Do you afix them to objects and they turn furnature or walls into speakers?

They look like cubes but i notice on the back of the little cube things they say "NXT" wich i think makes flat panel type speakers and transducers to conceal what they are.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Ya know these things look really interesting. To me they look like another cube type speaker but i didnt realize they use panel technology. I bought some NXT transducers off parts exspress and ive been messing around with these things. Can you post some pictures of yours?

Can i see the inside by any chance? in the reviews on amazon it says it comes with little colored cloth covers that you can use to match room decor. If you remove that what does it look like under the cloth? can you actualy see the inner workings of the driver?

Panels are weird and work different then traditional speakers. They sound different also.

But like one guy said in his review being these are crossed over so high the sub actualy has to pickup alot of the midrange giving it a localized sound. The 250hz crossover point made me wonder about this. If you dont place the sub in the right location it may sound weird using them for surround sound. He mentioned dialog that seem to be comming from behind him because thats where the sub was positioned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reviews on Amazon are pretty accurate - I've never heard a system quite like it, and was quite happy with it until the subwoofer died. You can't see inside of the cubes unfortunately. The velvet around the sides is just asthetic. To my ears, it seems to handle synthesized sounds extremely well, and does -well, did- well with music. I didn't mind the directionality from the subwoofer, but my wife is more forgiving about it's placement than many women would have been :).

Another issue was that the M-Cube system didn't sound particularly good on my older model Onkyo amp. The Onkyo SR806 made a major difference - I never knew an amplifier could make that much of an improvement once you got past the extremely cheap ones. I suspect that there were issues with the speaker equilization that the Audessy in the amp really needed to correct.

I could post some pictures if you'd really like, but you can't see anything past what is on Mission or Amazon's website.

-Paul

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster /forum/post/18161853

The reviews on Amazon are pretty accurate - I've never heard a system quite like it, and was quite happy with it until the subwoofer died. You can't see inside of the cubes unfortunately. The velvet around the sides is just asthetic. To my ears, it seems to handle synthesized sounds extremely well, and does -well, did- well with music. I didn't mind the directionality from the subwoofer, but my wife is more forgiving about it's placement than many women would have been :).

Another issue was that the M-Cube system didn't sound particularly good on my older model Onkyo amp. The Onkyo SR806 made a major difference - I never knew an amplifier could make that much of an improvement once you got past the extremely cheap ones. I suspect that there were issues with the speaker equilization that the Audessy in the amp really needed to correct.

I could post some pictures if you'd really like, but you can't see anything past what is on Mission or Amazon's website.

-Paul

Oh i figured they were open all the way around to help let some of the sound get out giving a larger sound. If you cant see the driver then there is no point for images. What about the front? what would you guess the panel thing is made of? is a rubber feel? fiberglass or somthing?

Were using these for home theater? some of the newer movies out now really hit some low frequencies that systems like this might have a hard time with. The sub is already doing alot of work covering what the cubes cant and then you throw in some super deep lows and it fails.

Well as usual i didnt read enough about your system to know what you actualy had. I just glanced at it thinking it was just a small cube type system but this is actualy more interesting then i first thought. The sub is just a traditional sub right? the cubes are the unique part of the system. Does the company have any kind of a forum with other people who use these? Maybe they know of a solution where you could still use the cubes but work in your receiver and a sub that can handle the higher frequencies but be a little more powerful that would hold up a little better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi

my dog ate my cables

did you ever find a place that has replacement parts? if so please advise where.

if you did not discard your system i would be happy to buy the unique subwoofer attachements

shiraz392aoldotcom

thanks

ronald

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.