AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alrighty, here goes....

This is my cozy little HT... It started life as an office space with a 50" LG Plasma and HTIB that was rarely used... Then I found AVSForum.com :D

The room is 12'x14' with 8' ceilings..

My 24" Monster Subwoofers!

Equipment:
Pioneer SC-1528-k
Samsung f5900
Crown XLS2502 x2
XboxOne
PS4
Epson 8350
Grandview 106" 16:9
Antimode 2.0 Dual Core EQ

Speakers:
Polk Audio:
RTiA9 Front Left/Right
CSiA6 Center
RTiA7 Rear Surrounds
RTiA3 Front Heights
StereoIntegrity:
HS24mk2 24" Subwoofer x2

Wiring & Connectors:
Neutrik NL4FC-B speakON
Sewell Deadbolts
REAN NYS373 RCA
KnuKonceptz Kord 10AWG OFC
BTRB 24 AWG OFHS
Basics HDMI Cables

Wiring is all DIY...

This was a nightmare to wire as I only had a few inches of room in behind - even with the AVR slid as far forward as I could!
Sewell Deadbolts made the connections a lot easier...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I DIY'd the Subwoofer Enclosures, the Center Channel Stand, the Acoustic Treatments and the AV Rack!
It was way too much fun! Crank the tunes and make some sawdust!

Future Upgrades/Projects:

- I keep reading up about Nearfield Subwoofer installs, and the positive results people are getting (even those with massive LFE setups are reporting an increased level of excitement) so Im working out a design for a couple of 18" subs behind the sofa (ok, 4 x 18" subs), these Ill finish in Satin Black

- I plan to upgrade my PJ whenever my Epson 8350 finally dies...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking really nice, you've certainly came a long way from an HTIB configuration. :D Before you know it, you'll even have tweeters as big as most drivers that come with HTIB systems. :cool:

Can't wait for the subwoofer install! :)

Neither can I!
I hope these things are as insane as everyone keeps telling me! :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice setup you've got there. Question - are the Crowns driving your mains (L/C/R) and if so how do you adjust volume -- do you have to turn knob on those Crowns?

Reactions: uniquepattern

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I like that you made a dedicated space with some scientific thought behind your decisions.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice setup you've got there. Question - are the Crowns driving your mains (L/C/R) and if so how do you adjust volume -- do you have to turn knob on those Crowns?
The Crown amps are for the subs, but I did hook them up to the L/ R to see how much of a difference it made. I need to buy another Xls2502! Though, I wont use one Xls2502 bridged per speaker like I did for the test (cooked a midwoofer doing that)

AVR controls the volume, so after the Crowns were gain matched I didn't need to touch them again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Crown amps are for the subs, but I did hook them up to the L/ R to see how much of a difference it made. I need to buy another Xls2502! Though, I wont use one Xls2502 bridged per speaker like I did for the test (cooked a midwoofer doing that)

AVR controls the volume, so after the Crowns were gain matched I didn't need to touch them again.
Sweet! I'm thinking about the Crowns for my mains but I'd need three channels, so guess I could use only half an XLS1002 for the center. We'll see.

Anyway nice gear and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! I'm thinking about the Crowns for my mains but I'd need three channels, so guess I could use only half an XLS1002 for the center. We'll see.

Anyway nice gear and thanks for sharing.
Id get the xls1502 - the 1002 has a bad noise floor and will be an issue with using it for mains. The rest of the models 1502 - 2502 don't have the noise floor issue

·
Registered
280 Posts
Id get the xls1502 - the 1002 has a bad noise floor and will be an issue with using it for mains. The rest of the models 1502 - 2502 don't have the noise floor issue
Cool - thanks for the tip. I'm also thinking of trying to repair the blown monoblock amp modules in a Hypex UcD400 kit I built years ago, so we'll see which route I end up taking :).

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
WOW! I bet you noticed right away coming from the PSW subs to those massive 24"s:eek: I can only imagine, as I have a 106" as well. Nice set up! I do have a friend with the A9's powered by an Emotiva XPA-2. They sound pretty good.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Antimode showed up.....

Played with it a little, wowsers..... is this thing ever cool! Hooked it up to the L/R speakers to try it out...
Very cool device with lots of options!

I cant wait to get the subs, and get everything rock'n'rollin! :D

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Welcome to the addiction hobby. The good news. Lot of fun. The really, really bad news: the rabbit hole has no bottom. There is always something faster, better, louder, cleaner, cooler looking. And that's what addictions fun hobbies are all about.

Love your use of proper room treatments. Nice room. Enjoy the ride !!!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Excuse the lack of seating, my sofa met an un-timely demise...

I finally have properly located surround channels!

There is a definite enhancement with the overall imaging having the tweeters firing a little bit above ear level :)

My new seating should be here soon... I hope!

The subwoofers are due in soon too! :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts