AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
For what it's worth, IMHO, this is the best HD monitor for under $8K. I have it, had it repaired once for $350. I was told they replaced the tuner. Interesting, since it doesn't have one. Probably needed to be resoldered which is a common problem with them.

The really great thing about the unit is it shows 720p natively. Personally, I think that ability has been under-rated by most HDTV enthusiasts. Problem is, you need to purchase a decoder which passes through 720p natively and that doubles the cost of the STB you get.

Other concern is it's a small screen. To fully appreciate the picture, you need to sit just far away enough so you can't focus on the pixels. I'd say about 6-8 feet away from the screen.

Finally, the line doubler is only adequate. A huge difference between RF, SVHS and video signal for analog. Truly shows the limitations of an RF signal. However, I got the DVDO line doubler and it, unfortunately, made a noticeable difference. I recommend getting one.

The other plus, besides the great HD picture, is DVD's look great on it. Better than any RP set I've seen, not counting DLP's, etc. I did notice a difference between an interlaced and progressive scan DVD player. Since progressive scan DVD players are now reasonably priced, I'd spend the extra $70 there, too.

I am so happy with the monitor I've decided to wait on a new HDTV until Plasma's and/or DLP's get all the bugs worked out, can handle both 720p and 1080i natively, and the prices drop to the low thousands.

That'll be awhile.

So, $1250 for the monitor, $999 for the STB, $750 for the line doubler, and $199 for a progressive scan DVD player. For $3,200, that's a pretty good little system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.