AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The Unity Motion STBs are very old, first generation STBs. Reception requires a strong, clean signal. I used one for a while several years ago and it worked OK with my indoor Silver Sensor antenna, but I would think the newer models have significantly better sensitivity, ease of use, and SDTV picture quality.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Samsung SIR T-165 is terrestrial only, but does have firewire output for HD recording.

It is not without issues, and it has been tracked extensively in this forum. Setting recording timers can sometimes be a pain. Possibly will be fixed in a future firmware update. (note: Don't hold your breath.) It also has siblings that do DirecTV, but not firewire.

The successor of the Unity Motion, the IT912 is terrestrial and MPEG satellite [not Dish Network, not DirecTv]. Comments on it can be found in the mpeg forum of www.satforums.com Also, www.169time.com was able to add firewire output capability to the Unity Motion 1000As, but have not announced any firewire outputs for the IT912. (note: Don't hold your breath.)

--

I have both (as well as the earlier Unity Motion). The IT912's tuner is a generation ahead of the Samsung T165 -- sensitivity is good on both as is the handling of multipath. The IT912 has a slight edge in handling less-than-perfect signals, but both it and the Samsung T165 are way ahead of the UM 1000A.

I use the Samsung for HD recording (mostly timeshifting), and the IT912 for satellite reception (including some HD channels). Sorry, there is no all-in-one, does-it-all, DTV, PVR, DVHS, DishNewtork, DirecTV, Digital Cable, etc. etc. receiver yet so expect to have some functional overlap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.