AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A current Denon announcement of their latest $2,000 "universal" player made me wonder how they can use that misleading description since (as far as I can determine) it does not support DVD-RAM, which is a recognized industry format. Granted only Panasonic and (I think) Samsung currently offer products with DVD-RAM, but that is not the point. The word "universal" means all-inclusive, and to use it when it is not is misleading. Panasonic should file a lawsuit to force Denon and the other manufacturers to stop using that fraudulent label until they include support for DVD-RAM.

Dsmith

·
Registered
59 Posts
I thought "universal" to most people meant that it played SACD (ideally without DSD->PCM conversion) and DVD-A (as well as DVD-V and redbook CDs). Since SACD and DVD-A compatibility in one box is why most video/audiophiles consider a universal player as opposed to two separate players. Else, where would you draw the line? Does it have to play wma and avi's? How about vbr mp3s? What about the guys with SVCDs? Then someone will complain it can play SVCDs, not 99 minute SVCDs (overburned).

But most consumers are generally savvy enough to read the list of supported formats when comparision shopping for a player. Those types of consumers will buy the player with the most listed formats at the best price, period. So in time, the market will correct itself. I imagine if the market demands DVD-RAM compatibility, most players will start including it if they want to sell well. I'd be more worried of seeing a so called "universal player" that doesn't play SACDs than one that doesn't play DVD-RAM. But that's just me (being an audiophile and all). YMMV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.