AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a nice little 2channel system and could use some advice. I would like to get a decent universal disc player ( SACD & DVD-A) for it. Can anyone recommend a good sub $400 player, new or used, that will work will in a 2 channel environment? Since most of these are actually dvd players first, I would like one that doesn't need a monitor to work.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Scott

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarmic /forum/post/18184404

I am building up a nice little 2channel system and could use some advice. I would like to get a decent universal disc player ( SACD & DVD-A) for it. Can anyone recommend a good sub $400 player, new or used, that will work will in a 2 channel environment? Since most of these are actually dvd players first, I would like one that doesn't need a monitor to work.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Scott

Well... if you mean REALLY universal, try the Oppo BDP-80 or 83
http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/

shane

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
BDP-80, OK

BDP-83, really good

BDP-83SE, great

·
Registered
255 Posts
you can also look at the Yamaha S1800, it doesn't do bluray but its a really good Universal player with Burr/Brown DACs. it originally retailed for $300 but Amazon has had it recently for 80

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarmic /forum/post/18184404

..................I would like one that doesn't need a monitor to work.

Good luck with that. I think you are probably going to need a monitor to set any of them up, initially. Once configured, though, you should probably be good to go without one.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Marantz has a uni player or two in that price range. Some on screen menus, but they are not needed for audio playback unless you want to enable the CD upsampling feature.

·
Registered
612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax /forum/post/18197963

you can also look at the Yamaha S1800, it doesn't do bluray but its a really good Universal player with Burr/Brown DACs. it originally retailed for $300 but Amazon has had it recently for 80

+1,

I bought one of the S1800s on a whim for $80.00 from Amazon. It is actually a very nice sounding player. For the money it's an obscene value!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax /forum/post/18197963

Actually the retail was originally $450:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...l?CNTID=558368

I've had the DVD-s1700 and 1800. They are identical inside and out, other than the model number. Both were great with SACD and DVD/A, but avoid them if you want to play DVD-R's. After they warm up for a while, they will stop reading the discs, never could make it all the way through a disc. Wasn't a defect, as I tried two 1700 and the 1800, all of them did it. When cold the discs played fine.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'd get one that has an internal adjustable cross-over. My Yamaha S-2500 had this feature as did my H/K 47 which also sounded really good thru it's 2 channel analog outs, but it had trouble playing my HDAD discs so it had to go. Most fixed cross-over player are set too high for me. My Yamaha 6770 (nice player) was fixed at 90 or so. Still too high.

I currently have an OPPO 83 and H/K 520 in one room, which is very nice, and a Pioneer Elite 59txi and matching DV-59avi connected via iLink in another room which just sounds awesome! Much better than m/c analog outs imo. I highly recommend iLink. Hi-res thru HDMI should/might sound just as good but I wouldn't know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts