AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure about which forum to post this in.

I've been looking at the various inexpensive (One-for-All, Radio Shack, etc.) universal remotes, and they seem to do everything I need except change the picture aspect for wide screen TVs. Are any of these types of remotes capable of changing the picture aspect (Std, Wide, Zoom1, etc.)? I really don't want to spend $200-$300 just to get this feature.

Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get one of the programmable learning remotes like the RS 2116. Then you can program the aspect button. The learning remote learns commands from your old remote and assigns them to the button you choose. If I remember right the 2116 is 30 bucks. Sony also has a good one - the VL900 available at Best Buy and similar stores. Hope I got those model numbers right....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Has anyone actually already used a "universal" remote on the Samsung HLM507W?

What brand? Does it at least change channels and volume and power off?

What code number?

thanks.

ed g

·
Registered
506 Posts
With the Home Theater Master MX-700, selecting the PLH-403W (code 211) controls 99-100% of all Sammy 507 functions - every function tried.

[posted 12/10/02 by vfrjim in the "Samsung 507W DVI Cables & Universal Remote" thread).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone.

After reading the information at hifi-remote.com, I decided to try a One-for-All URC6011, paid less than $20 for it. This is a 6 device remote with macro capability. These things are pretty amazing. I set everything up using the provided codes, and then spent Saturday methodically searching for and mapping advanced codes. After programming in the advanced codes, this remote now controls everthing perfectly. It replaced the remotes for my TV, VCR, DVD player and Sony A/V receiver.

It isn't a Pronto or a Home Theater Master; but if you don't mind having to press a couple of extra buttons for certain operations, it can be set-up to control just about anything.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.