AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Community,

I am juggling 3 remotes and I want to see if there is 1 universal remote that will make my life easier.

This is what I have:

TCL Roku TV 55P605 with it's remote control RC280
Yamaha rx-v471 receiver
Direct TV with Genie Mini- Model: C41-700, connected to Genie Gen2 - Model: HR44-700, using Remote P\N: RC71

I have programmed the Direct TV remote to control the TV power and volume of the AVR, but it won't turn the AVR off and on.
Also, the Direct TV signal is being passed thought the AVR, so when the TV powers on, I have to use the TV remote to select "Satellite" to fully engage the Direct TV signal.
Thus, I need all 3 remotes.

Is there any universal remote that can control the Direct TV and the TCL TV and the Yamaha AVR at the same time?

Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hello Community,

I am juggling 3 remotes and I want to see if there is 1 universal remote that will make my life easier.

This is what I have:

TCL Roku TV 55P605 with it's remote control RC280
Yamaha rx-v471 receiver
Direct TV with Genie Mini- Model: C41-700, connected to Genie Gen2 - Model: HR44-700, using Remote P\N: RC71

I have programmed the Direct TV remote to control the TV power and volume of the AVR, but it won't turn the AVR off and on.
Also, the Direct TV signal is being passed thought the AVR, so when the TV powers on, I have to use the TV remote to select "Satellite" to fully engage the Direct TV signal.
Thus, I need all 3 remotes.

Is there any universal remote that can control the Direct TV and the TCL TV and the Yamaha AVR at the same time?

Thank you for all your help!

The Harmony 650 would do the job nicely.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Har...F8&qid=1515787545&sr=8-2&keywords=harmony+650

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Any of the Harmony remotes will work. They get their codes from the software so they will be all up to date even if they look a little dated. The Harmony Elite looks a lot more modern but it also costs a lot more.

·
Registered
475 Posts
WiscoNYC,

Thank you for your help. Is this a relatively new remote? Its screen display seems out of date, but the price looks right. Are you sure it will control the Direct TV and allow me to scroll through the channels and DVR etc.?

Are there any other options that have a more updated look?

Thank you!

I just bought this remote last week to finally consolidate everything.

I don't personally have regular DirecTV (I only use DirecTV Now), but I checked on the Harmony website and entered all of your equipment. It said everything was compatible.

It will be easy to set it up so that with a push of one button the remote will turn the TV on, turn the DTV box on, turn your AVR on, and switch the AVR input to Satellite. It will then allow you to control DirecTV with all of the buttons while the volume buttons simultaneously control your AVR. If there are any buttons that don't immediately work as you'd like for certain functions, you can remap the remote to change what certain buttons will do. That requires a little more effort, but is fairly easy with the software (the remote hooks up to your computer to program it).

If you want something fancier, Harmony makes several more expensive models. The 650 fits all my needs, as I had 7 devices to control (the 650 can control up to 8) and didn't need all the bells and whistles of the more expensive ones.

Here's one of there higher end models:
https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-950-...id=1515791855&sr=1-12&keywords=harmony+remote

The more expensive ones can also work with a Hub that allows you to use a smartphone or tablet to control things and also to sync it with Amazon Alexa or Google Home.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Har...id=1515791855&sr=1-10&keywords=harmony+remote

And here are all the current Harmony remote:
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-universal-remotes

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any of the Harmony remotes will work. They get their codes from the software so they will be all up to date even if they look a little dated. The Harmony Elite looks a lot more modern but it also costs a lot more.
Thanks Dalto.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought this remote last week to finally consolidate everything.

I don't personally have regular DirecTV (I only use DirecTV Now), but I checked on the Harmony website and entered all of your equipment. It said everything was compatible.

It will be easy to set it up so that with a push of one button the remote will turn the TV on, turn the DTV box on, turn your AVR on, and switch the AVR input to Satellite. It will then allow you to control DirecTV with all of the buttons while the volume buttons simultaneously control your AVR. If there are any buttons that don't immediately work as you'd like for certain functions, you can remap the remote to change what certain buttons will do. That requires a little more effort, but is fairly easy with the software (the remote hooks up to your computer to program it).

If you want something fancier, Harmony makes several more expensive models. The 650 fits all my needs, as I had 7 devices to control (the 650 can control up to 8) and didn't need all the bells and whistles of the more expensive ones.

Here's one of there higher end models:
https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-950-...id=1515791855&sr=1-12&keywords=harmony+remote

The more expensive ones can also work with a Hub that allows you to use a smartphone or tablet to control things and also to sync it with Amazon Alexa or Google Home.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Har...id=1515791855&sr=1-10&keywords=harmony+remote

And here are all the current Harmony remote:
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-universal-remotes

WiscoNYC,

That sounds great to me! I guess the pic on amazon of the icons on the screen for the 650 just looked old school, but as long as it works! Is Harmony the leader in this universal remote technology?

Your description of how it will work is very helpful. My only question is during the power up sequence, I need to select the satellite option from the TV's remote (as opposed to the other apps on the TV like Netflix or Sling, built into the TV. Will that sequence happen automatically, and will I still be able to do things that the TV's remote did, like pause and rewind Netflix, and go back to the TV's Home screen?

Thanks for all the detailed help! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
WiscoNYC,

That sounds great to me! I guess the pic on amazon of the icons on the screen for the 650 just looked old school, but as long as it works! Is Harmony the leader in this universal remote technology?

Your description of how it will work is very helpful. My only question is during the power up sequence, I need to select the satellite option from the TV's remote (as opposed to the other apps on the TV like Netflix or Sling, built into the TV. Will that sequence happen automatically, and will I still be able to do things that the TV's remote did, like pause and rewind Netflix, and go back to the TV's Home screen?

Thanks for all the detailed help! I really appreciate it!

Yeah they are pretty much the leader. The on screen display on the 650 definitely isn't the most modern looking (like the Elite/950), but for

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, the Tv doesnt have an app for the satellite, but it makes you select "satellite" when you first power up the tv. You could also choose many other choices from the home screen like Netflix or Hulu, etc., but it doesnt automatically select the satellite (direct tv) input by default. Hopefully the Harmony can map that default during the power up sequence.

·
Registered
475 Posts
No, the Tv doesnt have an app for the satellite, but it makes you select "satellite" when you first power up the tv. You could also choose many other choices from the home screen like Netflix or Hulu, etc., but it doesnt automatically select the satellite (direct tv) input by default. Hopefully the Harmony can map that default during the power up sequence.
Do you mean that you labeled one of the TCL?s HDMI inputs as ?Satellite TV? and you need to go into the Streaming Channels and click on that to access the directv box?

If so I guess that complicates things a little bit. I?m pretty sure you can set it up to do that but it?s a bit more difficult. I think you?d have to design a programming that turns things on and then goes through the same motions you would have to physically do to perform that action. You would have to make sure the Satellite TV icon is always in the same position otherwise that programming would end up selecting something different.

It would probably be easier to have two buttons to use. The first would turn the TV and AVR on and select the correct AVR input. This would leave the remote mainly controlling the Roku interface. You?d manually select Satellite TV. And then you?d have another button that powers on the directv box and the remote would switch to controlling that (while the volume buttons are still the AVR).

There are a lot of people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable when it comes to the advanced controls of the harmony. I would check out the harmony forums and I?m sure someone could help.

Regardless a Harmony is still your best bet for controlling all your equipment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you mean that you labeled one of the TCL?s HDMI inputs as ?Satellite TV? and you need to go into the Streaming Channels and click on that to access the directv box?

If so I guess that complicates things a little bit. I?m pretty sure you can set it up to do that but it?s a bit more difficult. I think you?d have to design a programming that turns things on and then goes through the same motions you would have to physically do to perform that action. You would have to make sure the Satellite TV icon is always in the same position otherwise that programming would end up selecting something different.

It would probably be easier to have two buttons to use. The first would turn the TV and AVR on and select the correct AVR input. This would leave the remote mainly controlling the Roku interface. You?d manually select Satellite TV. And then you?d have another button that powers on the directv box and the remote would switch to controlling that (while the volume buttons are still the AVR).

There are a lot of people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable when it comes to the advanced controls of the harmony. I would check out the harmony forums and I?m sure someone could help.

WiscoNYC,

Thanks again for all your help. We had a local Sam's Club go out of business this weekend, and my wife saw the (discontinued) Harmony Touch, and we got it for $60. I payed $20 more than the 650, but the touch screen is nice, and it is rechargeable.

I was amazed at how smooth the interface was and how well it worked, just from the main software setup (only adding your devices, and 1 "Watch TV" activity.) Everything worked right away. Currently, I am experimenting with the "Activities" and Button Programming, so I can make it even more slick.

I want one of my activities to be "Watch Netflix", but I still have some experimenting to do to make it work fully. Perhaps I will start a new thread if I run into some specific programming issues. Otherwise, it comes with 30 or 90 days of free customer support. Not sure how good it is though.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Another vote for the Harmony remotes. It's not just consolidating multiple devices into one remote, the Harmony remotes orient everything towards activities and assigns the buttons based on what you're actually doing (i.e., watching TV, watching a movie, listening to music, etc.), rather than having to toggle between different devices. Once you get used to activity-driven remotes, you won't ever want to go back.

For Directv Genie receivers, keep in mind that they default to RF commands. Out of the box, the Directv remote will use a RF signal rather than IR. If you use a Harmony remote, you will need to go into the Directv receiver settings and switch the remote control default from RF to IR.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another vote for the Harmony remotes. It's not just consolidating multiple devices into one remote, the Harmony remotes orient everything towards activities and assigns the buttons based on what you're actually doing (i.e., watching TV, watching a movie, listening to music, etc.), rather than having to toggle between different devices. Once you get used to activity-driven remotes, you won't ever want to go back.

For Directv Genie receivers, keep in mind that they default to RF commands. Out of the box, the Directv remote will use a RF signal rather than IR. If you use a Harmony remote, you will need to go into the Directv receiver settings and switch the remote control default from RF to IR.
Woochifer, thanks for the support. My Harmony remote worked the Direct TV Genie without any setting changes from RF to IR, so it must have already been set that way.

Do you know if there is any way to make the Harmony remote skip down a whole page in the Direct TV Guide, when you are browsing through the channels list? All Cable and Satellite remotes now have that slick option to scroll up a whole page at a time. I assume you could set one of the Harmony buttons to do 6-10 individual "up arrow" or "down arrow" to make that work????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Channel buttons are page up/down on Directv
Oh thanks! I wonder how long it would have take me to figure that out.

Do you know if you can fix the following issue?

With the Direct TV remote, when you play after fast forwarding commercials, it has a nice feature where it skips back maybe 10 seconds to the very start of the show, so you don't miss anything. However, with the harmony, when I press play there is a little sound lag delay, and it doesn't drop back a few seconds, so I'm forced to rewind back just a click each time the commercials end?

Thank you!

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
Unless the Play button on Harmony isn't actually mapped to the Play command (possibly Pause), then there's nothing that can be done. It's exactly the same signal sent from your DirecTV remote. Check your button assignments in the device and activities.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unless the Play button on Harmony isn't actually mapped to the Play command (possibly Pause), then there's nothing that can be done. It's exactly the same signal sent from your DirecTV remote. Check your button assignments in the device and activities.
OK thanks I'll verify.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts

Actually on the TCL P605 you can set it up to automatically go to a certain HDMI input upon power up. Its under System Settings and Power. Before I gave the TV to my dad I was using the Harmony 650 with a DirecTV receiver, Denon AVR and mulitple other devices such as Blu Ray player, Firestick, Chromecast and Roku Premeire. It can't control the Chromecast or Firestick but will switch to the correct input on your AVR or TV. The Harmony will work with the TCL Roku apps and I even programmed certain buttons to go to Netflix, Prime and other apps plus navigate with the arrow buttons.

For $40 it's very easy to use and customizable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you!

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the Harmony give signals from my button presses with no delay? When I compare the speed of the channel guide up and down buttons with the speed of the direct tv remote, there is a lag on the harmony's inputs, especially when you press 3 or more times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts