AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what universal remote is the most intuitive, user friendly, and least likely to frustrate me into bouncing it off the wall? Well, actually I've never done that but I've felt like it. My only universal experience has been with cheap ones but now it's time to get something for the home theatre and it's going to need to be an RF remote and be something decent.

The equipment is behind the seating area mounted in a control closet facing into the theatre. Right now I have to turn around and point the IR remotes at the equipment. For the projector I have to get up and get in front of it. The only lighting control is on the wall.

Items to be controlled are...

Anthem D2 processor

Pioneer BDP-05FD Blu-ray

Possibly one additional disc player

Possible future cable, satellite, or off air tuner.

JVC HD1 projector

Overhead ceiling lights

Side wall lights.

Possibly control the floor step lights.

No motorized curtains or anything like that.

I do need to be able to control the video scaling on the D2 to adjust for various aspect ratios. I know the D2 can be set up with DVD1, DVD2...etc with each having different scaling settings but I suspect some of these remotes could also do something with macros so I can select from one of several aspect ratios and the macro will then command the D2 to go to what ever setting. However, I'm not sure how it would do that since it doesn't necessarily know the initial condition of the scaling and thus wouldn't know how to adjust it to a specified setting. Other than presetting the various DVD inputs on the D2 and then using the macro to select one of those it may not be possible?

The power amplifiers are already controlled by the trigger outputs of the D2. In fact, it may be able to also control the JVC projector but I haven't looked into that yet. Normally the only control over the projector I need is on/off.

The anamorphic lens is manually controlled and I doubt I will ever buy the remote upgrade so no need to worry about that.

As usual, I'm currently traveling for work so I will only be able to study this on line for now and can't take anything home to try. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks,

Monte

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The Harmony One is pretty light. It wouldn't make much of a dent in standard drywall.

And it's a damn good remote as well (in case you don't want to test the drywall resiliance).

Mike

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent /forum/post/15531378

The Harmony One is pretty light. It wouldn't make much of a dent in standard drywall.

And it's a damn good remote as well (in case you don't want to test the drywall resiliance).

Mike

Not exactly the best RF remote on the market
. So the One would find a home in the OP's wall.

Look into a URC remote and RF base. Something like the MX-880 or MX-980, or if you want a wizard based software remote then the MX-810 could maybe work. You could get a Harmony 890 since it comes with an RF base, but it wouldn't survive a slam into a wall.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15531504

Not exactly the best RF remote on the market
. So the One would find a home in the OP's wall.

Look into a URC remote and RF base. Something like the MX-880 or MX-980, or if you want a wizard based software remote then the MX-810 could maybe work. You could get a Harmony 890 since it comes with an RF base, but it wouldn't survive a slam into a wall.

I've been looking at the MX-980 but it might be more remote than I need. I've also seen conflicting reports about the difficulty of programing these. Some say it's hard and must be done by the dealer while others seem to think it's no big deal. I also looked at the MX-450 but not having the ability to program via PC could make it more difficult to set up plus I was already thinking what a great advantage the motion sensor in the 980 would be.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I can see this is going to take some studying. I wish it were as easy as designing the speaker system.

mk

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Well then look into the MX-810. It might be easier to program for you than the MX-980. No need to throw the remote at the wall before you even get it programmed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts