AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm in the process of turning a room that's in our basement to a theater room. Room is currently just open studs/joists on walls and ceilings.

I'd like to get a 5.1.4 atmos setup eventually but due to cost concerns I'm limited to just 3.1 or 5.1 until next year.

I will however be running speaker wire to the locations of where these in-ceilings will eventually go before putting up drywall.

I'm learning about the potential need for backboxes with in-ceiling speakers and thought I might as well make some out of MDF and install them now while the ceiling is nice and open. There will be batt insulation (to keep sounds from living room upstairs out of the theater room and vice versa) placed in the ceiling prior to drywall.

Main issue is that I don't know what speakers I'lll end up getting and I've read that different speakers recommend various sizes for boxes.

Just wondering if my plan to make/install some boxes now is worthwhile since i don't know what'll be going in them and if so is there some universal cubic footage that i should make them?

Plan B is to just forget about the boxes and then just pony up the cash for those dynaboxes when i eventually get the in-ceiling speakers.

Plan C is to not even worry about boxes of any kind and just install the speakers when the time comes.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
So i'm in the process of turning a room that's in our basement to a theater room. Room is currently just open studs/joists on walls and ceilings.

I'd like to get a 5.1.4 atmos setup eventually but due to cost concerns I'm limited to just 3.1 or 5.1 until next year.

I will however be running speaker wire to the locations of where these in-ceilings will eventually go before putting up drywall.

I'm learning about the potential need for backboxes with in-ceiling speakers and thought I might as well make some out of MDF and install them now while the ceiling is nice and open. There will be batt insulation (to keep sounds from living room upstairs out of the theater room and vice versa) placed in the ceiling prior to drywall.

Main issue is that I don't know what speakers I'lll end up getting and I've read that different speakers recommend various sizes for boxes.

Just wondering if my plan to make/install some boxes now is worthwhile since i don't know what'll be going in them and if so is there some universal cubic footage that i should make them?

Plan B is to just forget about the boxes and then just pony up the cash for those dynaboxes when i eventually get the in-ceiling speakers.

Plan C is to not even worry about boxes of any kind and just install the speakers when the time comes.

If you remember the Atlantic Tech ceiling speakers I mentioned in your other thread, the IC-6 OBA (designed for object based surround), I found out that you can purchase backer boxes for them. The model number is IC-BOX-6.

Hopefully cheaper than the Dynaboxes and you don't have to guess about the dimensions of MDF backer box enclosures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts