AVS Forum banner

Universal, Will they support Blu-ray within 6 months?

  • Yes

    Votes: 109 35.9%
  • No

    Votes: 195 64.1%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can feel it coming to be honest. With the lack of titles at CES and the latest news on HD-DVD being cracked, I get the feeling Universal is soon going to annouce Blu-ray support. Do you agree that within the next six months, Universal will support Blu-ray disc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
HD DVD wasnt cracked? BD uses the SAME protection as HD DVD at present.(assuming theres no BD+ on current discs)

But yes I feel they are going neutral soon...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,888 Posts
No. HD-DVD has still outsold BR. BR is trying to catch up. HD has sold more standalone units. HD has sold more movies. BR is just NOT catching up in software sales. Universal did not announce titles at CES because its an electronics show, not a movie show.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Define "go Blu-Ray"? Do you mean titles actually on the shelves in 6 months, or just announcing that they will be releasing on BD, like maybe starting in the Fall?


The reason I ask is that back in the the day I remember more than once when a studio came out and announced around April/May that they would have product later in the year. If indeed Universal is thinking of BD, this type of a scenario makes the most sense to me. Announce in Spring, start the releases late Summer or Fall.


In the meantime, I'm not too concerned about it because I think it's inevitable. There's so much coming to BD from Sony Pictures, Fox, Disney/Buena Vista, Warer Bros, Paramount, and Lion's Gate that I doubt I'll miss Universal for 3 months, 6 months, or even a year. It's more of a "nice to have it" at this point.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD_sanchez /forum/post/0


I can feel it coming to be honest. With the lack of titles at CES and the latest news on HD-DVD being cracked, I get the feeling Universal is soon going to annouce Blu-ray support. Do you agree that within the next six months, Universal will support Blu-ray disc?

They would have to quite the chair of the HD DVD promo group first!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Why would they go neutral? From what I see they have no need to. They know what HD DVD can do. They have studio support (Warner - which includes New Line, HBO and TNT (Andersonville in HD DVD anyone
), Paramount and Bandai).


Really, all Universal has to do is keep on (HD DVD) truckin, to coin a phrase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper IV /forum/post/0


No, they're not going neutral. That's just some B.S. that a heavily-opinionated certain someone is spreading like it's the Gospel.

I never said it was going to happen cuz i heard it. I merely said I can feel it coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/0


No. HD-DVD has still outsold BR. BR is trying to catch up. HD has sold more standalone units. HD has sold more movies. BR is just NOT catching up in software sales. Universal did not announce titles at CES because its an electronics show, not a movie show.
HD has sold more movies. BR is just NOT catching up in software sales? You must be kidding me!!!

HD has sold more standalone units? Good spin, eliminate the PS3 and Xbox 360 HD DVD addon from the equasion because if you added them then Blu-ray would have by far the majority of players in homes. Don't think the PS3 is not having an impact on Blu-ray movie sales.


Please back up you claims with references.


I will give you some.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=4531&Itemid=2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV /forum/post/0


No, they are committed to be HD-DVD exclusive though 2007. CES 2008 will be interesting though.

Link. I heard the exclusive contract had expired...again, only heard. I'd like to see a real link that they have signed thru 2007 support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 /forum/post/0

HD has sold more movies. BR is just NOT catching up in software sales? You must be kidding me!!!

HD has sold more standalone units? Good spin, eliminate the PS3 and Xbox 360 HD DVD addon from the equasion because if you added them then Blu-ray would have by far the majority of players in homes. Don't think the PS3 is not having an impact on Blu-ray movie sales.


Please back up you claims with references.


I will give you some.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=4531&Itemid=2

dvdempire.com also representitive of the current situation. Moreso than Amazon IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMAJ92 /forum/post/0


Why would they go neutral? From what I see they have no need to. They know what HD DVD can do. They have studio support (Warner - which includes New Line, HBO and TNT (Andersonville in HD DVD anyone
), Paramount and Bandai).


Really, all Universal has to do is keep on (HD DVD) truckin, to coin a phrase.

Warner, New Line, HBO and Paramount are releasing on both formats.


Warner, New Line & HBO are going to release on TotalHD.


Universal is the only major studio exclusive to HD DVD. I do not think they will go Blu-ray exclusive but might in the next 6 month announce support for TotalHD.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...gs_in_2007/431
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 /forum/post/0

HD has sold more movies. BR is just NOT catching up in software sales? You must be kidding me!!!

HD has sold more standalone units? Good spin, eliminate the PS3 and Xbox 360 HD DVD addon from the equasion because if you added them then Blu-ray would have by far the majority of players in homes. Don't think the PS3 is not having an impact on Blu-ray movie sales.


Please back up you claims with references.


I will give you some.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=4531&Itemid=2

I like my PS3 and Blu-Ray and all but having a 6 to 1 ratio of a Hardware advantage you would think that Blu-Ray movies would be outselling HD-DVD movies close to the same ratio which they obviously are not. All this advantage did was bring them equal. With the 20 years of bad blood between Sony and Universal it will be years before you see them go Blu-Ray but that is just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 /forum/post/0

HD has sold more movies. BR is just NOT catching up in software sales? You must be kidding me!!!

HD has sold more standalone units? Good spin, eliminate the PS3 and Xbox 360 HD DVD addon from the equasion because if you added them then Blu-ray would have by far the majority of players in homes. Don't think the PS3 is not having an impact on Blu-ray movie sales.


Please back up you claims with references.


I will give you some.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=4531&Itemid=2

The #1 BR title was still 10 slots BEHIND HD releases on Amazon for MONTHS. MONTHS. BR is just NOW slightly getting an edge. They have alot of ground to cover if they will be #1 in software sales. Being #1 for 2 weeks does not make up for the other 30 they were DEAD last.


Do you think because 1 title is finally outselling an HD-DVD that BR has won? Look at Amazon, the next BR is still 4 slots behind HD movies. How is that 'winning'? The only reason why DVDEmpires list shows more BR sales right now is because the influx of new BR owners playing catch up in the library.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek /forum/post/0


I like my PS3 and Blu-Ray and all but having a 6 to 1 ratio of a Hardware advantage you would think that Blu-Ray movies would be outselling HD-DVD movies close to the same ratio which they obviously are not. All this advantage did was bring them equal.

Yeah, but apparently HD-DVD is not going to die because BR has 2 good weeks. Just wait until we get the huge HD-DVD announcements. The tables will turn and the HD camp will have a nice laugh at the BR camp and all the sudden Amazon #'s mean nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/0


Yeah, but apparently HD-DVD is not going to die because BR has 2 good weeks. Just wait until we get the huge HD-DVD announcements. The tables will turn and the HD camp will have a nice laugh at the BR camp and all the sudden Amazon #'s mean nothing.

What Huge announcements? From that 1 studio? All the rest of their titles will be on blu-ray as well.


Look at the two confirmed release schedules for yourself and see which one looks good.


Stand alone HD-DVDs players tend to have a high attach rate cause HD enthusiats are buying them. PS3s are bough mainly by gamers, but they do intend to buy blu-rays just not in the massive numbers a lot of AV enthusiats would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/0


The #1 BR title was still 10 slots BEHIND HD releases on Amazon for MONTHS. MONTHS. BR is just NOW slightly getting an edge. They have alot of ground to cover if they will be #1 in software sales. Being #1 for 2 weeks does not make up for the other 30 they were DEAD last.


Do you think because 1 title is finally outselling an HD-DVD that BR has won? Look at Amazon, the next BR is still 4 slots behind HD movies. How is that 'winning'? The only reason why DVDEmpires list shows more BR sales right now is because the influx of new BR owners playing catch up in the library.

dvdempire.com, for all of last year it was apparently 40% to 60%. Not such a landslide, and when you consider the low volume about 175,000 total HD players purchased, 92k of those the HD add on at the end of the year.


And attach rate of 28 for 100k units? Like 2.8 million discs sold. That's very small. Since the volume is so small, not that hard to make up.


Oh, and DVD empire has shown that for December and January, 2 months so far. So not just right now, but also last month.
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top