AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty familiar with the usual pro's and con's of DILA in general but I have been offered a Dukane 9000 (G1000 clone) for 2500 and even though I did not really want to upgrade (and really thought my next PJ would be more lumens than that) I think this is so cheap it may just tide me over for a while...

I seem to remember that G1000's may be missing a 'screw' that holds things in place when ceiling mounting ?? What's the deal with this and do the Dukanes have the same issues ??

Also do they not accept 720p ??? I don't think this is an issue for me as everything will be HTPC anyway but still ???

Any other unknown issues with these early DILA's ???

Is the Dukane warrantee transferable ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
The missing screw you mentioned isn't really missing. The G15's have a screw which is used to adjust the location of the bulb to compensate for an inverted mount, but this is option wasn't built into the earlier models. The absence of the screw means that there may be a color shift of the picture when the projector is inverted if it is set up for tabletop use. The color shift can be adjusted out if the projector is set up for an inverted mount. I know, as I have a G1000.

With regard to HDTV formats I have been told the G1000 only accepts 1080i. I have yet to test this personally.

I believe it is also true that the light engine, or path, of the G1000 is not as efficient as the later models.

I have been very, very, happy with mine.

Jay

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how do you adjust the color shift when inverting...

I am assuming as the three panels need exact alignment this is not a SW task but a HW adjustment ???

I had no intention of getting a G1000 (I had toyed with it when I saw some 3Kbright and my PJ racks up about 6-8 hours a day !!! But I think I should do this one if I find out its in OK condition.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
PP -

$2500 for a G1000 D-ILA. Wow, that is a heckuva deal. That price is down in the LT150 range, but will be brighter, fuller and rainbow-free.

There is no screw on the G1000, G11 models.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm also using a G1000.

The tolerances in the G15 light path are more critical so it requires a screw to align the condenser lens with the arc gap. With the G1000 I haven't noticed any difference between a floor and inverted mount position. Jay is correct.. if the pj is calibrated for a ceiling mount it definitely won't be an issue.

Some G1000's did support 720p out of the box, but earlier models didn't. These early models can be modified to accept 720p. I have a Mark Foster mod which accomplishes this and I'm sure DILARD could do the same.

I think the difference in light output between the G1000/G11/G15 is somewhat over-rated. I'm driving a 10' wide GrayHawk with 700hrs on the bulb, no anamorphic lens and the image is still bright and punchy, even with some ambient light.

I've seen a G15 with a new bulb driving a 7' wide screen. Yes, it looks somewhat brighter, but not nearly as much as the specs would suggest. The eye's perception of brightness is logarithmic so doubling the light output only results in 25% more apparent brightness.

I'd go for the G1000.. $2500 is a great deal for a high resolution 3-chip projector.

Dave.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Some of the early models didn't accept 720P, but it is a simple software addition to add that support to the projector if it isn't already there (very handy!).

I recommend having the projector calibrated in the orientation that it will be used in to avoid color shifts. If you are using it inverted, just make sure that it is calibrated for use in an inverted state.

·
Registered
914 Posts
By the way, the G1000 looks VERY nice with a Panamorph. It

gives you that extra brightness with 16:9 sources.

-=-

Mark

·
Registered
453 Posts
6-8 hours a day?!! I hope you plan on keeping a secondary display, because otherwise, at that rate, you'll be paying for the price of the projector in bulb costs in a year or two! Save it for the good stuff, like DVDs and HDTV - I recorded part of the USTA finals in New York and my friends comment that it looks like viewing through a window in my wall. The colors and resolution really convince the brain of this illusion. My G1000 doesn't handle 720p automatically, but 1080i is pretty good.

Al

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know, I know...

Thing is once you go FP you never go back and I don't have any other TV in the house now... I am spending most of my time in an apartment that does not have room for a dedicated theater so I just live with the compromise...

I can see many reasons why DILA is not a good idea (one biggie being a 2200 hour per year usage) but it would free up my DLP to take to my SE Asia home and mean I have FP in both locations :D !!! Plus I would believe I can recoup at least my initial on this and a couple of bulbs over the next year would let me have a very good display while the next batch of new machines get to market...

I think I am sold but I am haggling terms (escrow etc) with the seller..

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy

I can see many reasons why DILA is not a good idea
Phat, you'll regret you said that.

the G1000 is awesome. If you don't buy it I will.

Operating costs is a non issue. Want a 2000 hour bulb for $500 and 10% extra bightness. Slap in a standard 500w xenon. Search cermax.

Now package this with Dilard and you have full controlability! for ~$3000 you have a projector thats between a G11 and G15:cool:

Yes, I believe dilard can now modify for 720p if you have an older one. but there is no need. Everthing upconverted to 1080i looks glorious!

Your first post after getting it will be titled "Why did I wait so long?"

·
Registered
755 Posts
For $2500 I'd buy another G1000 just to stack with my current projector.

Heck, for that price I could stack four of them and get over twice the brightness of a G15 for about the same cost.

Dave.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before it sounds to amazing let me point out...

I have a person who (I don't know) does not want to handle escrow and does not know what a DILA really is (to him its just a S/H PJ)... That means to me that the bulb life is not to be trusted at all and other problems will be exactly that...

Then you have someone like Ken Elliot selling his G1000 in the classifieds for ages for $3150... I feel I could trust Ken for pixels / convergence / lamp life... I am guessing as its been there for more than a month that he would take a deal on 3k...

Said that way it doesn't sound so hot... Feel like gambling that extra 500 on an unknown (the bulb would cost this much) ???

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
One thing to keep in mind: The JVC G1000, if it still has any warranty left, will be transferrable. The Dukane will not be.

Tryg, has the bulb switcharoo been done by anyone yet (besides possibly Kevin Gilmore)? I want to hear from someone who isnt a tech guru say they've done it and it works without melting the projector :)

Andy K.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Just an fyi - my measurements show that the adjustment screw on a G15 affects the light output of the projector, but I have not measured any change in color balance. I hate to shoot down another "common wisdom", but there you go...

William

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Andy, I have and extra housing with this bulb in it. When I put it in my projector it worked fine. I only ran it about 10 minutes but it never threw the thermal breaker. The picture was a little washed out due to the extra brightness but I didn't take the time to change light output settings(which I think just changes the voltage to the bulb). I figure once I have the sensor I can calibrate with new bulb and achieve contrast perfection from Dilard.

Until then, I'm trying my best to burn through my standard bulb. I've only put 400 hours on it in 1.25 years.

I don't really want to sing from the high heavens about this bulb being the miracle cure until I have it in my projector full time. I bet others have in their projector now. Maybe we can here from them. I would recommend adjusting the power pot for full time use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thre years ago I bought a Proxima SX-1 (G-1000/G-10 clone) for $9K delivered and thought I was hell of a deal maker. As long as it was not used underwater or some wierd $#!+ like that I think the price should be considered a steal, what more can you say?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Andy K,

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind: The JVC G1000, if it still has any warranty left, will be transferrable. The Dukane will not be.
JVC's warranty is not transferable if you are purchasing from a private party according to a JVC rep that I talked to. I was looking to buy a used DILA and contacted JVC here in So. California and the regional contact person said it was not transferrable.

Rick

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori
Some of the early models didn't accept 720P, but it is a simple software addition to add that support to the projector if it isn't already there (very handy!).
Whoa! Please tell me how to do this. I have asked about it before, but got no reply. I would really love to add 720p to my G1000 clone (Proxima SX-1).

Also, is it possible to get 480p out of this machine ( think Halo on X-Box!!). It tries really hard but in the end it wraps the picture a little bit and has a tearing problem.

Jeremy

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Tryg,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the right way to go, but I dont want to be the first one :)

fujimeistr,

That's odd - when I phoned JVC they assured me that warranties are transferrable for a private sale. Proxima is also very good about warranty transfer, so if you find a Proxima Pro SX1 G10-clone its a good one. Dukane and Panasonic will not honor the transferred warranty.

JeremyNeish,

One thing to keep in mind is that the 720p mod will only work on the RGBHV inputs, not the component inputs.

Also, I had no idea that 480p doesnt sync on this projector? Can anyone else confirm this, I had assumed it would.

Andy K.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.