AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that most discussion here is on FPTV, however I have a small RPTV mystery regarding something in the service menu on my Elite 610 RPTV:

I go into my Elite 610's service menu all the time to adjust just about everything, and the picture I'm getting now is superb - way better than when the set was delivered.

However, no one can give me an answer as to what the "Detail" parameter is. It has the usual -127 to +127 adjustment range inside the service menu. I think it has something to do with perhaps horizontal pixel peaking, or filtering, or doubling. It might even be a combined horizontal/vertical 2-dimensional adjustable filter, like some DVD players have. The service manual shows it going from factory-set negative (-) values for Standard Mode all the way up to about positive (+) 92 for the Component 31K/33K Mode.

I've reduced inherent ringing (edge enhancement) on the set up to this point by cutting Sharpness to -127, but the other day I noticed that INCREASING the Detail adjustment all the way up to positive (+) 127 reduces the edge enhancement even further without adding softness to the picture - actually sharpening it somewhat to my eyes. I don't own a DVD player yet, so I do all adjustments by looking at SAT program material and by looking at the alpha-numerics in the SAT channel selection menu - which shows up any ringing or edge enhancement very well.

The service manual says to leave the Detail settings as they were at the factory - yeah, right.

I'm now experimenting with Sharpness cut to full -127, but Detail set to full +127 - and the image appears very sharp WITHOUT apparent edge enhancement or ringing.

Help ........... what does the Pioneer Elite "Detail" adjustment do?

Thanks for any help and advice,

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Phil,

You really need to get a DVD player and a copy of the Avia Guide to Home Theater DVD and evaluate your tweaking with the test patterns on that disc. There is an amazing number of very useful patterns to help you evaluate your work.

As for the Detail in the service mode, I haven't noticed that it seems to do much of anything, but I've never tried running it up to +127. I'll certainly try that tyhe next time I calibrate one. I've always toned down the edge enhancement thing with the service sub sharpness, and I can only ever get it tolerable without adversely affecting high frequency video content.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck,

Thanks for your quick answer back.

On my SAT channel guide screen I see white ghosts to the right of black vertical edges on a light grey background - which I interpret as the infamous built-in edge enhancement of the Elites.

I can nearly eliminate this with Sharpness set to -127. By running Detail up I see the little bit of white ghosting remaining fade even more and it's completely gone at a Detail setting of +127. However, I of course realize that AVIA has test patterns available that show this in a straight forward way.

If I leave Detail at factory settings, then reducing Sharpness to -127 indeed does soften the picture - probably you are rolling off the video bandwidth a bit - which you don't want to do usually. Running Detail to high values (while leaving Sharpness at -127)seems to restore sharpness but not bring back any white ghosts tto the right of black vertical edges - evening eliminating ghosting completely.

I seems like I remember reading when I was researching my RPTV purchase 2 years ago that the Elites doubled horizontal pixels (in addition to the built-in line doubling of horizontal scans per frame to make progressive scan). I'm wondering if the Detail circuit isn't related to this in some way - such as adjusting the pixel rate from the NTSC standard starting value up to doubled for each scan line. I believe the Faroudja stand-alone processors offer this capability regarding pixel-rates and I think the new Sage/Faroudja FLI2220 video enhancer chip offered in some DVD players may also be adjusting (increasing) the pixel rate.

I'm pretty certain the Detail circuit is doing something for another reason other than my non-AVIA eyeballing. The service manual has Detail factory set at -50 for STD OFFSET, 0 for COMPONENT 15K, and +92 for COMPONENT 31,33K. So it looks like Detail is being "increased" as you go to higher quality input modes - there's got to be a reason for this.

P.S. The reason I've been looking for a DVD player for 1 1/2 years for my Elite is it's line doubler is so good that until recently no progressive players did deinterlacing to make it worthwhile to have the deinterlacing done in the player instead of in my Elite. Now the new Sage/Faroujda and DVDO deinterlacing IC's offered in some players should indeed make it worthwhile to get on board with a DVD player. In the meantime I've fiddled with everything so much (including using a Sony SLV-R1000 SVHS VCR with a built-in Faroudja digital sine filter) that I probably am seeing VHS and SVHS movies the best they can be shown in any home set up. I even use Nordost S-Video cables from the Sony VCR to the Elite! I have a collection of widescreen VHS movies that show real good on the Elite - very enjoyable - so I haven't been in a rush to go DVD until I find just the right player.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK you Elite RPTV owners, here's what I've found so far:

The "Detail" parameter available for adjustment inside the Service Menu makes images sharper the higher you go with it's setting WITHOUT adding ringing to vertical edges on my test pattern (black vertical edges on a medium grey background).

So by setting Detail to the maximum value of +127 for all inputs as the default setting on my Elite 610 while setting Sharpness to a low value - BUT NOT AT the minimum value of -127, I'm getting improved SAT channel, VHS, and Super-VHS edge definition without edge enhancement showing. This Detail parameter is working a miracle in my setup. On the best SAT channels and also with new VHS widescreen movies, the "3-D like" image quality is now apparent and well beyond what factory settings for Detail yielded.

When I get a DVD player I'm sure the improved results through use of the Detail parameter will also be apparent. I'm curious as to what AVIA will show concerning adjustment of Detail, but using my eyes and my existing test patterns, it sure is adding to image crispness without putting fringes around edges.

I have a few EMAIL inquires out asking what the Detail parameter is doing inside the set, but as of yet no answers. As a last resort I'll try contacting Pioneer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.