AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to set up two rows of four seats each in my HT. My preference is actual theatre type seating (not recliners). I have done lots of searching on the WWW and one of the best prospects seems to be a firm called "Unlimited Seating" (seatingtheater.com). The chairs look great, tons of colors available, pricing is good, and no shipping costs. Has anyone purchased from them?

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, my wife got me a row of 4 Capri rockers for Xmas. Placed the order between Xmas and New Year and didn't receive anything beyond an invoice email. I'll be calling tomorrow for shipping status. Not real helpful if you're looking to buy soon, but I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the information. Please let me know how it works out for you. Please write a brief review of the chairs also, if you have time. I did a lot of searchingand to me, they were the best available.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSiemens /forum/post/19762414

Thanks very much for the information. Please let me know how it works out for you. Please write a brief review of the chairs also, if you have time. I did a lot of searchingand to me, they were the best available.

I'll definitely do that. Spoke with them on the phone today and found out that they generally take 3 weeks to pin down the delivery schedule and 4-6 for delivery. So I should know more by the 18th and hope to have them here first week of February. I won't be ready to install the full row at that time but I'll document the unpacking and will build one to test it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Small update; I was expecting shipping info around the 18th, didn't hear anything so I started trying to reach them around the 24th. FYI it's not easy to reach a human using their only published phone number. If you don't know a specific extension your only option is to leave a message; no operator. I left several messages, sent a few emails to their [email protected] address and heard nothing for nearly a full week. Was starting to get pretty nervous and I finally got a call (at 6am ?!) with an apology for the delay and a promise that I would receive tracking information this week.

The price seems good, customer service not so much. Hoping the quality of the seats makes it worth the worry!

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
post pics once received

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/19931914

post pics once received

Hmmm. It's looking more like *if* received. I've been developing a sinking feeling over the last couple weeks and after a few calls this morning I'm nearly convinced the entire operation is a scam.

I spoke at length with Ken Lerch at StargateCinema and although he's hesitant to post in this thread, obviously, he saw it and reached out to me to let me know that I should be very cautious when dealing with Unlimited Seating. Apparently they aren't an authorized reseller and the manufacturer has been trying to get them shut down. The manufacturer claims that there is just no way those chairs can be sold and shipped at that price, so there seems to be something shady going on.

Ken shares my suspicion that Unlimited Seating may be stringing me along until my credit card payment is outside the dispute period. To be safe, I've contacted my credit card company to make them aware of my concerns and was told that I have additional time before a dispute will need to be lodged.

I've left another message with Unlimited Seating, and if I don't have solid answers from them within 24 hours I will dispute the charge and attempt to get a refund.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, it looks like my Seating Unlimited adventure is drawing to a close. I received another voicemail yesterday morning indicating that the seats had shipped and a tracking number would be provided later in the day. I called and emailed several times during the day but never heard back. In my last message I told them I needed to hear from them with a tracking number or order cancellation instructions by noon today.

Of course I got no response so I disputed the charge shortly after noon and received an immediate credit back to my account. Unlimited Seating will be notified of the dispute and they have 30 days to counter by proving that they did indeed send the chairs. If so, the charge will be reinstated.

I suppose there's an outside chance they did in fact send them, so I need to wait out the 30 days before buying replacements, which sucks; but there you go. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/19964781

Any updates?

Nope; no word since I disputed the charge last Thursday. If they were operating on the up-and-up you'd think they'd be highly motivated to set the record straight asap and get that charge reinstated.

My card provider indicated I would be told right away if the vendor responds to the dispute, so even if Unlimited Seating doesn't contact me I'll hear if they dispute the refund.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanflaco /forum/post/19964934

Nope; no word since I disputed the charge last Thursday. If they were operating on the up-and-up you'd think they'd be highly motivated to set the record straight asap and get that charge reinstated.

My card provider indicated I would be told right away if the vendor responds to the dispute, so even if Unlimited Seating doesn't contact me I'll hear if they dispute the refund.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks very much for all your input. I am the guy who started this post and I am sorry for what you are going through. Honestly, if it were not you, it would have been me. I have been shopping home theatre chairs for a long time and these are the ones I just had to have. My next best bet is to find a supplier of the same product who actually does deliver. If anyone gets a lead on that it would certainly be appreciated. I simply cannot find this item anywhere else. What I really liked was the fabric offered. I got samples from the fabric manufacturer and it is great looking stuff. Guess I will be setting up folding chairs for a while.

Please keep all posters updated if possible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have been debating seating options since November but finally pulled the trigger on some Berkline's from Roman yesterday. I have heard nothing about great things about his customer service.

The headaches outlined in this thread honestly were the tipping point for me. I'd rather stick with someone who has proven time-and-time again they can deliver than roll the dice with an unknown vendor.

I appreciate people updating this thread, it saved me a potential headache.

·
Registered
739 Posts
mutheater,

You are correct. Roman will surely take good care of you. I alerted a couple or people on this thread via PM and spoke to one person directly, but did not want to post on here until I knew with 100% certainty what was going on. I'd like to add some general info to this thread to help people looking for theater chairs and other big ticket items for your home theater. It's a shame to have to post something like this but there is a lot of fraud out there. Most of this is common sense, but some people may be new to shopping online. Here are some things to look out for:

* Trust seals- does the web site have a BBB logo that actually links to their online BBB report? Any reputable online company will be a member of the BBB and be in good standing with an A or A+ rating. Viewing the number of online complaints should give you a relatively good idea about the company. Other trust seals are usually prominent as well. Just make sure they link to the proper place.

* Pricing- if you see consistent pricing for the same product across multiple web sites and one site is selling the same product for 30%, 40%, 50%.... 80% less, this is a big red flag. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

* How long has the web site been online? Search the whois database ( http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp for example) to see how long a web site has been registered. Does it jive with how long the company claims to have been in business either online or on the phone. If they registered a domain a few weeks/months ago be careful.

* Call the company- a reputable company will answer their phone during normal business hours and return voice mails and emails. If they return your call does the caller ID match their company name? Or does it look like they're calling from a cell phone or random land line?

* Search this forum- do a search of this forum for the name of the company and/or URL. If no one has heard of them or no one replies to a question about purchasing from them in the past, be careful. This doesn't always apply because there are lots of smaller, newer, reputable companies, of course.

* What does the web site look like? If it is poorly designed and looks like it was just thrown together, this is another red flag.

* Company info- does the company provide a physical address or just a P.O. box or no address?

* Payment Methods available- if a company only accepts PayPal or checks, be careful. (Roman is an exception to this rule as I don't believe he takes cc). You have no recourse once a check it cashed and I've heard PayPal can be tricky in that regard. You can dispute a credit card charge, normally within 30 days of the purchase, giving you protection.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSiemens
Thanks very much for all your input. I am the guy who started this post and I am sorry for what you are going through. Honestly, if it were not you, it would have been me. I have been shopping home theatre chairs for a long time and these are the ones I just had to have. My next best bet is to find a supplier of the same product who actually does deliver. If anyone gets a lead on that it would certainly be appreciated. I simply cannot find this item anywhere else. What I really liked was the fabric offered. I got samples from the fabric manufacturer and it is great looking stuff. Guess I will be setting up folding chairs for a while.

Please keep all posters updated if possible.
It can be pretty confusing because with these theater-style seats vendors seem to apply different names to the same model, presumably to make price comparisons more difficult. I do know this specific chair is offered by Stargate Cinema, so you might drop Ken a line. He and I spoke at length about my situation and what he could offer in my price range.

Regarding my situation, I spoke to my card provider again and they indicated that I could purchase chairs without worrying about the 30 day rebuttal period. Because Unlimited Seating failed to ship the chairs within the promised timeframe I can now refuse to accept the order, even if they scramble to ship something and try to reinstate the charge. The card provider noted my wish to cancel so if Unlimited Seating contacts them, they will be informed that the order should not be filled and will not be accepted if shipped.

So, the search is on again and this time around I'll definitely heed Ken's advice posted above.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know this is an old thread but felt I had to submit one more entry. It has been a long process indeed, but my chairs finally arrived today. I found them at Celebrity Seating and they beat all competitors by $50 per chair. As already mentioned, if you are one of the minority looking for authentic theatre seating, it does take some shopping around. Different vendors tend to use different names for the identical product. I ordered mine as "Cinema Star" rockers and they came labeled as "Allesandria" rockers (same item). The chairs look great in black Absecon Sherpa fabric and I can now get down to building my risers. They are manufactured in Mexico, by the way. Delivery was five weeks and they arrived on time. If you are interested give Wil a call.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx /forum/post/19617646

http://shop.seatingtheater.com/Capri...999-capri4.htm

that is tempting, two rows would fit like butter in my room.

I just called them to inquire about their seats (got no answer of course), so glad I came across this thread. Any updates on where one could find quality non fraudulent rockers?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts