AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess we are in for another year of a soft picture. Does not look good at all. D*

I sure hope someone does these again this year. I have enjoyed them over the past few seasons.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE /forum/post/20895313

I guess we are in for another year of a soft picture. Does not look good at all. D*

I sure hope someone does these again this year. I have enjoyed them over the past few seasons.

Soft? I don't agree. I looks good and clean.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Not spectacular, but not terrible either. The low level bluish lighting at Camp Randall is really horrible (been that way for years), especially when you compare it to some of the NFL preseason games going on right now.

Also ESPN cannot seem to leave well-enough alone with their scorebug which is now bigger than last years with thinner borders.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 /forum/post/20895821

Not spectacular, but not terrible either. The low level bluish lighting at Camp Randall is really horrible (been that way for years), especially when you compare it to some of the NFL preseason games going on right now.Also ESPN cannot seem to leave well-enough alone with their scorebug which is now bigger than last years with thinner borders.

That was exactly the basis of my comparison. In the NY market there were games on CBS and NBC both of which looked spectacular. This game on ESPN, not so much.

·
Premium Member
10,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab /forum/post/20896742

The picture looked great on ESPN3D.

Which I find kind-of surprising, since broadcast 3D is 1/2 the horizontal resolution.

Since both the left eye and right eye video has to be sent at the same time. Both the left and right eyes have a horizontal pixel size of 640 (for 720p source). That is less than the horizontal pixel size of a standard DVD (704, or 720 pixels).

But, the 3D images that are sent from the site are full res 1280x720p. One video stream on the satellite/fiber has the left eye and another video stream has the right eye.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
ESPN 3D is actually top/bottom not side-by-side, so each eye gets 1280x360p60. Probably about the same effective vertical resolution as you would get on a 480i DVD after deinterlacing, assuming a true interlaced source for the DVD.

·
Premium Member
10,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/20929670

ESPN 3D is actually top/bottom not side-by-side, so each eye gets 1280x360p60. Probably about the same effective vertical resolution as you would get on a 480i DVD after deinterlacing, assuming a true interlaced source for the DVD.

Really? I based my info on the VOD video files that I've seen that are 3D, as those were left/right. No wonder 3D is a mess. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
10,401 Posts
It wasn't that I didn't believe you, it was the fact that thee seem to be so many 3D formats out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.