AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading these forums for months trying to soak up as much info as possible. Some days I feel more confused than when I started, and other days I feel like I have actually accomplished something. I started wanting a very basic room, and the more I read the more I want. Sometimes I ask myself How did I get here, and what should I do next? I figured I should finally start my own build thread, so here is the story and plan.

My new house is being framed now and I am going to have a home theater in the bonus room over the garage. The room will be 14'6"W, 22'4"L, and have 8' ceilings(knee walls starting a 5' and sloping 12:12.) There is one window at the end of the room where I plan to put the screen.
Bonus.bmp 797k .bmp file

I have a contract price on the house and the builder has agreed to add two layers of drywall, and I am going to supply the GG. We only discussed DD+GG on the ceiling and walls. Do you think I should double up plywood floor with GG between them? The room is over a garage so I'm not sure if sound leakage into that room is a problem. The house should be finished in Late September, so I have to make a lot of decisions in what seems like a very small amount of time. Budget is also a major concern and I would like to keep the project under 6,000. Anything more will have to be added in time.

I plan to have 9.2 system in the room, and I already have most of the equipment I want to use.

Equipment:

Onkyo txnr-1007 (already have)

Emotiva XPA-5 (already have)

Polk RTI-A9 fronts (already have)

Polk CSI-A6 Center (already have)

FXI-A4 side and rear surrounds (already have)

RTI-A1 height (will purchase later)

Klipsch RW-12D ( will upgrade when budget permits)

I plan to have a 120” 16x9 fixed frame screen. I would like to go bigger, but I don’t think the dimensions would work. I picked up a B stock RS-40 from AVS last week, so at least I have gotten that piece of the puzzle.

I’m planning on using a very dark brown for the ceiling color and a lighter shade for the walls, with a coffee bean GOM material for the screen wall.

I’ll post some picks of the framed room ASAP. Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You will want to treat the floor, otherwise the jists are going to have an easy time conducting sound under all the walls.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
MLV is not compressible, and that's what we want. 3/8" Serenity mat is a good choice for better bass isolation.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Typically there is at least a single sheet glued to the rubber. If you can accommodate double ply on top then you would insert a layer of damping compound between the ply. No damping compound between rubber and original subfloor, nor between the rubber and new ply. Damping compound only goes between the ply in this scenario

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran my the house yesterday to snap some shots of the room, please excuse the photography work. I'm going to put my AV rack to the right of the entry door on the smaller wall. I'm planning on framing a very small room behind the AV rack to access A/V and network equipment. the contractor is supposed to start hanging Sheetrock on Monday so I have a ton of cables to run.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did some measuring and I can either get a 118" Carada screen, or a 126" Carada screen in the space. The 126" screen would only allow about 4" from the bottom of the frame to the top stage. The 118" screen would allow about 10" of clearance. It is a tough decision between the larger screen, and a screen that fits the space better. I'm planning on having 3' of space behind the screen wall to allow for speakers, subs, etc. The larger screen would probably force me to shorten that space to allow enough room for the projectors throw. Thoughts anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts