AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I purchased a Samsung SIR-T150 today, a RS double bowtie and an inline amplifier. Absolutely no signal indoors. I am surrounded by some rather tall buildings. I have a small north facing balcony on 26th Street on the west side of Manhattan, so I put the antenna outdoors. I am getting CBS, NBC, UPN, WB and PBS, but I have to move the antenna around to get these signals. No luck on ABC or FOX. Would a larger outdoor antenna help? If so, what model is recommended? Can't be too big as my balcony is small. Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not sure of your distances, but do you need the amp? I live more than 40 miles from the towers with not the best surrounding terrain between me and the towers. I did not need an amp even through 75' of wire and 2 diplexers(Large Rat Shack antenna in the attic). I did install a rat shack amp I had around, to help with a FOX channel that was weak. No luck. I then purchased a Channel Master amp (12dB UHF) and it worked like a champ. Personally I think the Rat Shack amps are junk. I am also wondering if you are overloading the STB front end with the amp.

---Andy

[This message has been edited by andyg (edited 08-04-2001).]

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Jin, unless you are on a very high floor, your reception outlook may not be too good. I used to live on the 8th floor on 34th street and I had to move my 13" inch set from room to room to room trying to maximize my reception in the pre-cable age. The basic priciple of huge buildings in the way should stille apply to DTV reception I'd think? It's like being in a mountain valley unless you're in one of the taller buildings and high up. Good luck with it!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow meow!

[This message has been edited by Rachael Bellomy (edited 08-04-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy, the STB was showing no signal until I plugged the amp in. I am only a couple of miles from the transmitters, but no line of sight.

Do multipath problems show up as no signal on the STB meter?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
I'm roughly 15 blocks North, on the eastside, also facing north and sandwiched in by buildings (6th floor). A bad reception area. I found the Silver Sensor worked here after the WTC went full power. The Sensor has a very narrow acceptance angle, so it's good at rejecting multipath signals. Suspect it's tough manipulating an antenna for each channel without a multipath indicator. My Philips RPTV displays about five types of tuning indicators on screen, which aids tuning. But it's still a pain. The Sensor is extremely compact so I keep it atop my RPTV, then outlined the best antenna orientation for each station with a grease pencil. In general, WTC stations come in while the Sensor is pointed about 110 degrees North of the transmitters. -- John

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 08-04-2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rachael eluded to this, but yes multipath is a problem with the digital transmission medium. I remember reading several articles a few years ago on problems with 8VSB in city environments because of the buildings. Sorry I cannot be of any help....

--Andy Garabedian

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I doubt the Silver Sensor will work for me, as I get nada indoors. The bowtie is able to pull in signals when I put it outside. What perplexes me is that I can get signals from both the ESB and the WTC, but not all stations on each. I finally got Fox to come in, but no luck on ABC yet. Since the bowtie seems to work, I was wondering if a larger but similar design would help me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.