AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the Harmon Kardon AVR 254/354 are starting to hit stores, I am creating an unofficial anticipation thread for the upscale AVR 754 & AVR 654 which are due out later this year for the North American market.

I am going to post all the information and pictures I can find about these models in this thread but it is a work-in-progress. Anyone who comes across additional information/weblinks for the AVR 754 & AVR 654, feel free to post it in this thread and I will add it to this first post

Anywho...here goes nuthin'

Here is a pic of the Euro model HK AVR 655, which should be vaguely similar to the HK AVR 654:

Here are 2 pix of the Euro model HK AVR 755, which should be vaguely similar to the HK AVR 754:

Quote:
The AVR 755 & AVR 655 will be the new high-end receivers from Harman-Kardon. Unfortunately you have to wait until this fall to buy them, prices are £1600 for the AVR 655 while the AVR 755 is £1800.

According to Harman Kardon the AVR 755 is the most-powerful and most-capable A/V receiver the company has ever made. It Delivers 7x 85W into 8ohm @ 0.07% THD and includes dual subwoofer outputs and EzSet/EQ II function to precisely tune the system’s performance parameters to the acoustic requirements of your space automatically. The AVR 755 has built-in Faroudja DCDi CinemaTM video processing with upscaling to 1080p and 32-bit DSP processorS compatible with the latest audio standards like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD, Faroudja DCDi CinemaTM video processing. Of course the receiver is equipped with HDMI 1.3a, analog component or S-video sources, USB or iPod using "The Bridge II" Docking Station.

The AVR 655 features the same specifications but the amplifier delivers 7x 75W and it has a single subwoofer output.

http://hifi-ring.com/2008/02/19/harm...receivers.html

Notice it says 32-bit processors, as in more than one....well according to MCode in the 255/355 anticipation thread the 654/754 will have dual TI processors, allowing Logic 7 processing of 5.1 digital sources like dts and Dolby Digital.....I am crossing my fingers that these two recievers will be able to apply 7.1 Logic 7 post processing to advanced 5.1 sources from HD-DVD/Blu Ray Players via HDMI (Uncompressed LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, dts HD Master Audio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/13418051

1. The AVRs which use the Cirrus DSPs (twin core) only post-process 2 CH (PCM or analog) to 5.1 or 7.1..[EDIT: This would be the AVR 254 and 354]
2. The AVRs which use the TI DSPs (x2) post-process 2 CH or 5.1 CH (analog, PCM, DD, DTS) to 7.1. [EDIT:The AVR 654 and 754]

Just my $0.02..

Here is some info on the entire reciever lineup from the CEDIA UK Expo 2008:

Quote:
News

Harman Kardon introduces new audio/video receiver line-up (3/7/2008)

CEDIA UK Expo 2008

HDMI(tm) 1.3a Compatibility With Dolby(r) TrueHD and DTS(r)-HD Master Audio(tm) Decoding, II for iPod Connectivity, Home Networking Capability Among Advanced Features Included in New Models

Harman Kardon, Inc., announces its 2008 audio/video receiver lineup, marking one of the most significant product introductions in the company's history. The 7.2-channel AVR 755, 7.1-channel AVR 655, AVR 355 and AVR 255, and the 5.1-channel AVR 155 offer an extensive complement of industry-leading features and technologies, including HDMI 1.3a compatibility, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio decoding, home networking capability, a newly-developed, full-color, high definition graphical on-screen menu system, and many additional enhancements.

Complementing their best-in-class performance and ease of use, all of the receivers have an elegant, minimalist appearance, with gracefully rounded corners, a gloss-black top panel and dark graphite lower panel, all accented by soft white illumination.

Ultimate-Performance High-Definition Video and Audio Capabilities

All the multichannel receivers include HDMI switching with either four or three HDMI inputs (depending on model), are HDMI 1.3-compatible and can pass video signals to 1080p. The flagship Harman Kardon AVR 755 and all other models (except the AVR 155) incorporate leading-edge Faroudja DCDi Cinema(tm) digital-video processing that provides upscaled and enhanced 1080p output from all video sources, for extraordinary image quality. In addition, all the receivers are 12-bit Deep Color-compatible for use with Deep Color-capable video components, TVs and display devices.

All models (except the AVR 155) offer Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, to deliver the ultimate in high-resolution multichannel audio realism from these state-of-the-art lossless (uncompressed) audio formats and compatible HD-DVD and Blu-ray discsTM and players. All the receivers except the AVR 155 can process 7.1-channel PCM audio delivered to their HDMI inputs, and feature HDMI repeater functionality, enabling the use of longer HDMI cable lengths.

Newly-Developed On-Screen Menu System Provides Unmatched Ease of Use

All models (except the AVR 155) incorporate a Harman Kardon exclusive, newly developed high-definition full-color on-screen menu system that utilizes both pictures and text to guide users in setting up their home entertainment system, and in verifying that their components are connected and configured properly. Complementing the menu system's unmatched ease of use, the receivers feature redesigned remote controls with simplified, yet more flexible operation and a more intuitive ergonomic design.

Advanced Home Networking and Multiroom Audio/Video Connectivity

The AVR 755 and AVR 655 can interface with a home network via an Ethernet connection (or wirelessly, via optional external bridge adaptors), to provide advanced computer interface and home entertainment capabilities. When connected the receivers can deliver compatible Internet radio playback via the home entertainment system, with Internet radio station ID information shown on both the on-screen and the receivers' front panel displays. Internet radio stations can also be stored in the tuner's preset station memory.

All the receivers except the AVR 155 offer multiroom audio capability with assignable Zone II amplifier sections; the AVR 755 also provides multiroom video connectivity for all A/V source components including iPod (when connected via an optional The Bridge II docking station). In addition, the AVR 755, AVR 655 and AVR 355 incorporate the A-BUS(r) system for easy multizone audio connectivity, using a single Cat. 5 cable to connect a receiver in one room to a Harman Kardon AB 2 or AB 1 amplified in-wall control/amplifier module in a second room, or connect to Harman Kardon ABH 4000 or ABH 4 for multizone/multiroom audio distribution.

Advanced iPod Home Entertainment with The Bridge II Docking Station for iPod

The AVR 755, AVR 655 and AVR 355 include improved iPod connectivity, which provides enhanced iPod audio and video playback and control capabilities. When a compatible iPod model* (not included) is connected using the new The Bridge II** docking station (sold separately), the iPod can be operated by the receiver's remote control, with menus to operate the iPod shown on a TV (or video display) and the receiver's front-panel display. The iPod menus are displayed in high-definition and offer fast, easy navigation.

Automated, Easy and Accurate System Setup

All the receivers include proprietary automated full-range room-equalization and system calibration, to simplify system setup and achieve optimal audio quality in any listening room. EzSet/EQ(tm) automatically measures the frequency response peaks and dips in the listening room and applies a precise, compensating equalization curve to achieve unprecedented sonic accuracy. EzSet/EQ also calibrates speaker output levels and delay times.

Engineered for Exceptional Sound Quality

The receivers continue the Harman Kardon heritage of uncompromising sound quality. All incorporate the company's acclaimed high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier sections, and their power ratings are stated with all channels fully driven to provide an accurate indication of their real-world amplifier performance. The receivers utilize high-speed DSP processors, audiophile-grade D/A converters and comprehensive bass-management systems to reproduce movies and music with remarkable fidelity and dynamic impact; all incorporate proprietary Logic 7(r) audio technologies for enhanced surround sound realism.

www.harman.com
http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesne...080703-11.html

AVR 755 7 x 85W 7.2-Channel A/V receiver with HDMI

Harman Kardon is one of the audio industry’s most-powerful and most-capable companies, and the AVR 755 is the most-powerful and most-capable A/V receiver it makes. So it should come as no surprise that the AVR 755 does almost everything you can imagine – and does it superbly well. Two onboard 32-bit DSP processors deliver the full suite of Dolby and DTS technologies, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, in addition to the latest version of our exclusive Logic 7 processing, while Faroudja DCDi Cinema video processing

makes any input source material look as great as it sounds. Whatever input you throw at it – HDMI, analog component or S-video sources; computer-based audio via a direct USB connection or from thumb drives; or your iPod using our The Bridge II docking station – the AVR 755 can handle it. You can even use a broadband connection to access a wide range of Internet radio stations. And the AVR 755 easily enables multiroom video and audio

applications with Zone II and A-BUS technology. With a true 85 watts of power to drive each of seven channels, dual subwoofer outputs and the EzSet/EQ II system to precisely tune the system’s performance parameters to the acoustic requirements of your space, the AVR 755 is the ideal receiver to satisfy a houseful of entertainment needs.

Features

Power

• 85W x 7 into 8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz, at

·
Banned
3,741 Posts
Careful with hifi-ring, I wouldn't use them as source - as most similar copy/paste websites they regularly off on many things.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I mailed them in June and they said late summer for the 754, and they would not confirm that 754 would be the model number of the new flagship. That will be the first new flagship since the 745 came out in spring, 2006. Man, what a flood of new AVRs are coming: Pioneer SC-07 Aug. 2008, new Denons summer 2008, new Onkyos, including new 906 flagship, these HKs, possibly update to Marantz 8002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather /forum/post/14214561

Good start, I wonder how long this thread will end up by the time we do see the 754 in the US market.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone seen the MSRP in US dollars posted for these receivers? I'm just curious if it will be a straight conversion from the UK MSRP or there is a different pricing scheme. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan /forum/post/14323860

i found these flyers online for the 655 and 755, gives specs and stuff, looks like they were posted earlier in the 255/355 thread

http://harman-kardon.cz/data/harman-kardon-avr655.pdf

http://harman-kardon.cz/data/harman-kardon-avr755.pdf

pics of the back of the 755

http://www.excelia-hifi.cz/harman-kardon-avr755.html

Looks better then the past then the past receivers, I like the gold connectors on the back. If it is the flagship, should have added another HDMI out and may be different mfg on the video chip. I read somewhere the 755 will be around 1.5k US. If it is another 3k receiver you will need to wait until they are on Fleebay for a decent price.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
In response to the first post. I am a current 745 owner and love it. It applies Logic7 (although there is a bug in it right) to any sound source including PCM 2.0, PCM 5.1, DD 5.1, DTS, etc. Obviously it is a HDMI 1.1 unit with only 1080i output through HDMI. However, it does accept and process audio from a 1080p24 and 1080p60 source through HDMI. I am using a HDMI splitter to attain this.

I will stick with 745 until a year or two and then upgrade to the 754 or whatever the flagship is. The 745 has the same wattage rating as the ones published here for the 755. It also has gold plated connectors and USB port for both music and firmware upgrades.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/14374252

In response to the first post. I am a current 745 owner and love it. It applies Logic7 (although there is a bug in it right) to any sound source including PCM 2.0, PCM 5.1, DD 5.1, DTS, etc. Obviously it is a HDMI 1.1 unit with only 1080i output through HDMI. However, it does accept and process audio from a 1080p24 and 1080p60 source through HDMI. I am using a HDMI splitter to attain this.

I will stick with 745 until a year or two and then upgrade to the 754 or whatever the flagship is. The 745 has the same wattage rating as the ones published here for the 755. It also has gold plated connectors and USB port for both music and firmware upgrades.

If they don't fix Logic7 won't you move sooner? HDMI 1.3 will also be a benefit and 1080P video chip for your sd sources.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/14374379

If they don't fix Logic7 won't you move sooner? HDMI 1.3 will also be a benefit and 1080P video chip for your sd sources.

Well - I have been promised the firmware fix is coming. Also, I have overcome the 1080p issue with a HDMI splitter. I don't really need a 1080p upscale since my Epson 1080UB does a pretty good job. My only sources are a Dish VIP722, imac and PS3. The imac and PS3 already do 1080p. The Dish does 1080i and upscales everything to 1080i (there is no native mode on the VIP722).

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/14375432

(there is no native mode on the VIP722).

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:

The Dish does 1080i and upscales everything to 1080i (there is no native mode on the VIP722).

Tell me about it!! I have two of these and one is connected to an Onkyo NR905 with the HQV Reon. I was so pissed about DishNetwork's forced single resolution on the 722 I called and complained about it. They said they would pass along the "feature" request to their development department for a possible future firmware update... Yeah right... And when I wake up in the morning, gas prices will be $1.45/gallon.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Be careful..

That the model #s, ID design, specs & features can vary a great deal between the Euro & USA versions..

Just my $0.045...

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/14377893

Be careful..

That the model #s, ID design, specs & features can vary a great deal between the Euro & USA versions..

Just my $0.045...

M Code, If this all we can go on, then...its all we can go on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all,

Since it has been almost a month since the last post on this thread I thought I would post a question.

Are there any other receivers currently on the market which can process a 5.1 signal and turn it into a 7.1 signal? (A feature of the 654 & 754). I recently purchased a 7.1 speaker set and am going crazy waiting for the 654 & 754 to be released.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoneedr /forum/post/14502148

Hello all,

Since it has been almost a month since the last post on this thread I thought I would post a question.

Are there any other receivers currently on the market which can process a 5.1 signal and turn it into a 7.1 signal? (A feature of the 654 & 754). I recently purchased a 7.1 speaker set and am going crazy waiting for the 654 & 754 to be released.

Thanks.

Yeah....any 7.1ch reciever with Dolby Pro Logic IIx can do this....though not as well as L7, IMO, which is why I am waiting for it....

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Just wanted to add that HK has STILL not released the Logic7 fix for the 745. They were supposed to come out with it yesterday after several delays and still delayed again.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee /forum/post/14505121

Yeah....any 7.1ch reciever with Dolby Pro Logic IIx can do this....though not as well as L7, IMO, which is why I am waiting for it....

Sorry I should have mentioned that I meant a proper 5.1 signal, not Dolby PLII, since there are a lot of receivers which do that.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since the 754 is going to have 2 sub woofer outputs will you be able to control the gain and delay on each of them independently?

If so do you think it is worth having two different sizes of subs? Possibly a 12" and a 10", or would it be better off to get two 12".

I ask because I currently have the JBL L890 towers, which have dual "8 subs and I have the L8400 which is a 12" sub. I'm debating whether or not to get a second L8400 or just to add my old sub (a 10" JBL E150) as a second sub woofer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

Quote:

he imac and PS3 already do 1080p. The Dish does 1080i and upscales everything to 1080i (there is no native mode on the VIP722).

My 622 is a horrible scaler. (Like you, I long for a native mode even if it will be slow as heck changing channels.) The horrible scaler of my Mitsubishi DLP is better. I'm no fan of the Faroudja in my 247. I wish HK would add a better VP in their receivers like the HQV Reon, the Gennum (really wishful thinking), the Anchor Bay or the Marvell QDEO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts