AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the Lumagen RadianceXD FAQ. It contains general questions about the XD. Specific usage/tips/topical articles will be posted in a different thread. If you'd like to see some topics addressed, please PM me directly. New or updated topics are in red.

Who's Lumagen?

From their website:
Quote:
Lumagen is a privately held video systems product company that was founded in September of 2001. We are headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon where we beaver away at equipping home theaters with the technology to make movies jump off the screen. Lumagen provides solutions for video switching, calibration, plus deinterlacing and scaling. Together these allow knowledgeable integrators and enthusiasts to provide the best quality and most accurate video images for their home theater installations.
What's the RadianceXD?

The new video processor from Lumagen. No space, it's a single word: "RadianceXD". Yes, there's a typo in the the thread title! X stands for eXtreme video (performance wise) and D stands for Dual hdmi outputs.

What's a video processor, and why do I need one?

The same way a receiver or preamplifier is dedicated to handling the sound of your home theater setup, a video processor handles all that is picture related: deinterlacing, scaling, picture enhancements, color correction, and much more. Although modern displays and receivers offer some of these functions, most simply lack the sophistication and functionality of a dedicated video processor (vp). That said, regardless of their limitations, the functions in your display or receiver might very well be sufficient for your needs. Read on to figure out if the RadianceXD might suit your home theater needs.

Can you describe the basic capabilities of the XD?

The XD offers many video and sound inputs and outputs. As such it will act not only as a vp, but also as switcher/hub in your setup.

Video inputs:
  • 6 hdmi
  • 4 component
  • 4 s-video
  • 4 composite

Audio inputs:
  • 6 hdmi
  • 4 analog stereo
  • 8 spdif (6 coax, 2 optical)

Outputs:
  • 2 hdmi (video + sound)
  • 2 spdif (coax)

Any combination of video and audio input can be used, so you can for example get your video from an hdmi input and the sound from one of the spdif inputs. The sound, regardless of its input of origin, can then be redirected to one or both of the hdmi outputs and/or to the spdif outputs (keeping in mind the spdif outputs can carry at most 2 channels of PCM sound).

The video can be output to either or both of the hdmi outputs. The XD uses the Sigma Designs (formerly Gennnum) VXP 9450 chip for deinterlacing and picture enhancements, and its own algorithms for everything else (scaling, color correction).

Functionality:
  • advanced per pixel SD/HD deinterlacing
  • Lumagen proprietary "no ring" scaling (considered the best in the industry)
  • Color Management System (CMS) for complete display and source calibration: independent gamut correction of primaries and secondaries, full range (11 point) grayscale and gamma parametric correction
  • per input/per resolution picture enhancement: sharpness, noise reduction (2D/3D noise, mosquito noise, block artifact), adaptive contrast
  • per input/per resolution size control: cropping, masking, vertical shift, non linear stretch
  • always active hdmi inputs (i.e. the hdcp chain is not broken when you switch to another input)
  • 4 memories per input (A, B, C, D), and for each of these 8 subresolution memories, allow extreme flexibility and customization
  • 8 output configuration memories
  • down to the pixel customizable output resolutions
  • support for anamorphic lens
  • RS232 control for automation

This list is of course far from exhaustive. The features that give the XD the edge over the competition are, in no particular order: its sheer performance (in terms of deinterlacing, scaling, fast switching, etc), its CMS, and its extreme flexibility in terms of customization and setup. This is a double edged sword: as a result of this flexibility, the XD is far from a plug-and-play toy. Its target market is first and foremost the custom installers, and then the 'serious' HT diyer. That said - I'm no Einstein, and I figured it all out, including the use of the CMS. So surely, you can too. Just be aware that there's a learning curve.

What is the price, and where can I find it? (updated 5/29/09)

For the XD, MSRP is $4995. It used to be $3999, then $4495. I don't know how, or even if, the price increases have been justified. Lumagen has a "strategic" partnership with Sencore , the terms of which are unclear, but result in distribution rights for Sencore. The XD cannot be bought directly from Lumagen anymore, and sales below MSRP are prohibited by Sencore. That doesn't mean there aren't deals to be had if you know to look around a bit.

What version are the hdmi inputs and outputs?

1.1, although a new model (the RadianceXE) is planned with 1.3, and there will be an upgrade path for existing owners who have bought the XD before June 30th 2008 (or maybe anyone - I've read contradictory statements from Lumagen on this topic). The RadianceXE will be priced at $4995, and the cost of the upgrade will be $1000.

I really need hdmi 1.3! When is the XE coming out?

Do you, really? The one and only usable feature that 1.3 offers over 1.1 is advanced codecs bitstream ("deep color" is useless, since no source offers it - and no source will anytime soon). If your HD device can decode those codecs on board, then it's pretty pointless to want to send bitstream anyway. Even if it can't, all is not lost! You can place you hdmi 1.3 receiver between the device and the XD - problem solved! Unless, of course, your receiver messes with the video signal along the way. Some receivers, for example, do not pass blacker-than-black or whiter-than-white signal. But if that's the case, you should lobby the manufacturer for a firmware fix, or get a different receiver. See - you just think you need hdmi 1.3

I don't care what you think. I want the XE!

Fine, have it your way. The XE beta program is currently going on, and handled by Lumagen (not Sencore). Call them directly for details - 503-574-2211 or 866-888-3330. Note that the only functionality the XE offers over the XD at the moment is the bitstreaming of advanced codecs. Other hdmi 1.3 functionality such as deep color is on the back burner (because there is currently no source for it other than a handful of Sony camcorders).

What other models are planned, beside the XE? (updated 3/21/09)

Two models are currently planned. The RadianceXS is basically an "XE light" - same performance as the XE, but fewer inputs, and a single output (S=single output). Planned MSRP is $3995, but there is no ETA - it is in the 'alpha' stage according to Sencore. Even further down the road is a potential RadiancePro model. Planned features are more inputs, including hd-sdi, 2 independent processing pipelines, with a bigger FPGA. This would theoretically allow for additional picture processing that is not currently possible on the XD/XE, such as: parametric CMS, projector stacking/blending, sub-pixel convergence, etc. Price will be (puts pinky on lips)... ONE BILLION DOLLARS. Ha! No, I don't know. In fact, I would be surprised if the Pro existed in any form other than on paper at this point. It has been mentioned repeatedly by Lumagen, but its actual inception will depend heavily on market interest. The market being what it is right now, I wouldn't hold my breath.

You say the XD is extremely flexible - what makes it so?

A seemingly endless number of settings for one, and a healthy supply of configuration memories to let you apply those settings any which way you want. Let's dive in.

First, any given setting typically resides in one of three categories: global, output configuration or input configuration.

There is only one global memory - i.e., one set of global settings. Global settings behave like you'd expect them to; you set them, and the XD happily complies. Global settings govern the overall behavior of the XD, and are not directly related to picture processing. For example: menu mode (user vs. service), front LED behavior (dark or lit). The audio setup is also a global setting, but can be built to depend on your currently active input/output configuration.

Output configurations contain settings directly related to your display, such as: resolution and frequency, aspect ratio, zoom, gamut correction, grayscale and gamma, contrast/brightness, hdmi output format, etc. There are 8 output configuration memories, named Config0 to Config7. Why so many? First, the XD allows you to drive two different displays (two hdmi outputs), so that's two memories right there. Second, even if you are always sending the same resolution signal to your display (say 1080p) you might want to vary the frequency, say 1080p24 for movies and 1080p60 for tv; add 1080p50 in PAL territories - each of these require separate output configs. Eight configurations might seem like a lot but some people (particularly in non-NTSC territories) have actually asked Lumagen to double that number. Unfortunately this doesn't look likely to happen.

Input configurations contain settings directly related to the source devices plugged into the XD, such as: input color format, audio input used, contrast/brightness, color and hue correction, YC delay, cropping, masking, picture enhancements (sharpness, noise reduction, adaptive contrast), etc. All these are controls that will most of the time have different values across different source devices. For example, you will apply a different YC delay correction to your DVD player than you will your cable box. Knowing this, you probably expect 18 input configuration memories (the XD has 18 physical video inputs; 6 hdmi, 4 component, 4 s-video, 4 composite). In fact, there are 4 input memories per physical input (A, B, C, and D). So you can set up and apply 4 different configurations per input. Why would you want to do this? A typical application would be ISF day/night settings, where a different setup is used depending on ambient light (i.e. depending on the time of the day). Or, a setup with an anamorphic lens is used with a projector to allow for constant height projection. Different settings will apply depending on the aspect ratio of the source material, i.e., depending on whether the lens is in the light path or not

but the truth is, there is more than 18 input configuration memories! Way more. Each input memory (hdmi 1A, hdmi 1B, all the way to composite 4D) has multiple resolution submemories. Eight of them for HD inputs (hdmi, component), two of them for SD inputs (composite, s-video). What does this mean? Well, the submemory that will be active (and whose settings will be used) depends on the signal feeding that input. For example, a cable box may send a 480i signal (SD channels), or a 1080i signal (HD channels). On my XD, the cable box is plugged into input 7 (component). So the XD will be using the 7A-480i, or 7A-1080i memory, depending on the program I am watching. This is useful because SD and HD are generally different types of signals, compressed differently, using different color spaces, etc - with all of their potential issues being addressable individually. The eight standard resolution submemories for HD inputs are: 480(i/p), 576(i/p), 720p, 1080i50, 1080i60, 1080p24, 1080p60 and Other. The Other' submemory is a catch all that gets used if none of the other resolutions are a match for the input signal. Each of the submemory resolutions (except for Other) can be customized, so you can replace say 1080i50 with 720p24 (an AppleTV format) if you want to. SD inputs have only two resolution submemories: 480(i/p) and 576(i/p).

The most important setting within an input configuration memory is which output configuration will be used. A configuration output (ConfigX) can be assigned to each and every one of the input submemories in the XD. A simple setup, in NTSC-only land, will probably use the same output configuration set to 1080p60 for all inputs (in fact for all input submemories). If the display accepts 24Hz, then a 1080p24 output configuration should be used to pass that signal when appropriate. If you live in PAL territory, add a 1080p50 config to the mix. If your XD is driving a second display (mine is), then you will want to use another batch of input memories (MEMB) to assign a second set of output configurations. Remember, you can't use the same output configurations for two different displays, even if they have the same native resolution, because they have different needs in terms of color/grayscale calibration.

And there you have it. See - I wasn't lying when I said that the XD is not exactly plug'n'play. However if you can wrap your head around this then you know almost all there is to know about setting up the XD.

What DVD player should I use with th XD?

The idea is to let the XD (or any other video processor for that matter) do most if not all of the work. In the case of SD DVD, this means feeding it the DVD native 480i signal - the XD will deinterlace and scale the picture to your output resolution. Preferably, you'd want to get that signal digitally, this means over hdmi. Now, not that many players will output 480i over hdmi. This thread has a list. Personally I use an Oppo 980H - it seems to be a favorite among XD users, and for good reason: it's fast, reliable, and lets you output said 480i signal in YCbCr 4:2:2 which is as close as you can get to how the signal is encoded on the disc (many players, for example the PS3, only let you output 4:4:4 - the image is already a bit processed at that point). The only drawbacks to this player is 1) the price, kinda hefty for a DVD player but if you've spent that much money for a video processor it shouldn't be too much of a factor, and 2) it can be a bit noisy during seeks - which fortunately only happen when you're navigating, not during play.

The Oppo 970 listed in the thread is discontinued as far as I can tell, but I would not recommend it even if you can find it; its 480i hdmi output has a serious bug that Oppo was not able to fix.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Added "What DVD player should I use with the XD?".

I will add to the thread whenever I update it, this way you can simply subscribe to be alerted when this happens.

If you have questions please PM me directly (or post in the non sticky XD threads).

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the XE was $4995, and the XD was still $4495. Can Lumagen confirm this? Randy should be watching this thread...

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G /forum/post/15900434

I thought the XE was $4995, and the XD was still $4495. Can Lumagen confirm this? Randy should be watching this thread...

XE will be over $4995 now.....and XS will be lower in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp /forum/post/15844776

The RadianceXS is a yet to be announced slightly less expensive version of the RadianceXE. Although we have not announced it, it is slated to have HDMI 1.3, somewhat fewer inputs, no Pip/PoP, be in a 1U high (1.75") case with a similar front panel to the RadianceXD/XE. I will annouce other details in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Added more info about the XE's beta program.

I'm trying to get information about the current price. Randy over at the Lumagen support forums said current price was $4995, but curtpalme.com is still selling the XD for $4495, and I'm pretty sure no one's allowed to sell below MSRP. Also, Spectracal (Calman) is selling an XD package for $4595.

Gary: you know as much about the XS as anyone else; i.e. it would be an XE 'light' with same performance but fewer inputs. I'll add a question about future Lumagen models though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The official Radiance pricing is as follows:

XD - $4995

XE - $5995 (not available, in beta phase)

XS - $3995 (not available, in alpha phase)

For additional information on this please visit sencore-av site

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurraysencore /forum/post/16077164

The official Radiance pricing is as follows:

XD - $4995

XE - $5995 (not available, in beta phase)

XS - $3995 (not available, in alpha phase)

For additional information on this please visit sencore-av site

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks.

Is the Pro MRSP and other info available.

(I suspect the answer may be no, but thought I'd ask)

Mike

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
curtpalme.com is still selling the XD for $4495 (bundled with an i1 pro). If anyone's been on the fence about getting one, now would be a good time.

Darn I'm glad I got mine during the first beta phase. I could probably sell it back now for more than I paid for it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FAQ update!

- pricing update

- new topic on future models

I also put back the time stamp and red marking for new or updated topics. Enjoy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I noticed that in Sencore website, HDP is not listed, but only RadianceXD and HDQ are listed. HDP is discountinued? Or HDP is being sold through other distributor?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnathan /forum/post/16145226

I noticed that in Sencore website, HDP is not listed, but only RadianceXD and HDQ are listed. HDP is discountinued? Or HDP is being sold through other distributor?

HDP is at end of life. We have a couple left, but are not making any more. You would contact Lumagen or your dealer if you wanted to scoop up one of these last couple.

We are still making the VisionHDQ, but it is the last of the Vision series still in production.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieagain /forum/post/16269210

Are you guys coming out with something new in the Vision price range? If so, when?

Nothing to talk about at this time.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Jim,

You make one of the best video processors on the market with one of, if not the best CMS systems available. But given that HD content is becoming more available everyday and hi end stand alone video processors are becoming less desired or needed. Have you given any thought to producing a stand alone video switcher/CMS unit? A number of JVC projector owners have picked up HDP or an HDQ just to help tame the saturated colors but the HDP & HDQ CMS is limited and has no HDMI support. But for those individuals that that just need a CMS for a more accurate calibration and don't need the processing there is nothing out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What about an alternative firmware for the HDQ that removes some feature to make room for a more comprehensive CMS and leave the user decide which one to use? I could go for it.

I'm in the category Zip3kx07 is describing. I just need a better gamma and more accurate primaries and secondaries.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieagain /forum/post/16277791

What about an alternative firmware for the HDQ that removes some feature to make room for a more comprehensive CMS and leave the user decide which one to use? I could go for it.

I'm in the category Zip3kx07 is describing. I just need a better gamma and more accurate primaries and secondaries.

I can't speak for Lumagen, but I highly doubt that's ever going to happen. A fork in the firmware would be a nightmare for Lumagen, maintenance and support wise.

PS: not to be a stick in the mud, but this isn't a conversation thread. Please continue here or here . If you have a specific question about the XD/XE that you'd like answered in the FAQ, PM me directly.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07 /forum/post/16276193

Jim,

You make one of the best video processors on the market with one of, if not the best CMS systems available. But given that HD content is becoming more available everyday and hi end stand alone video processors are becoming less desired or needed. Have you given any thought to producing a stand alone video switcher/CMS unit? A number of JVC projector owners have picked up HDP or an HDQ just to help tame the saturated colors but the HDP & HDQ CMS is limited and has no HDMI support. But for those individuals that that just need a CMS for a more accurate calibration and don't need the processing there is nothing out there.

We have been considering a calibration only unit, but it is a slippery slope as many who have asked for this also want aspect control and/or scaling. It's not an easy call if this makes sense for us when we consider the return on our investment.

I have done investigation into the cost and design of such a unit, but we are not working on it at this time.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp /forum/post/16362219

We have been considering a calibration only unit, but it is a slippery slope as many who have asked for this also want aspect control and/or scaling. It's not an easy call if this makes sense for us when we consider the return on our investment.

Only you can determine whether it makes business sense. But please ignore those who ask for feature creep. Calibration only means just that--CMS and grayscale/gamma (maybe RGB color/hue, though the CMS makes this unnecessary).

If someone wants aspect ratio control and/or scaling, they need to buy a full-featured processor. Adding these to a "calibration only" box would increase the price and undercut the product's purpose and identity.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts