AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to discuss the Sony S-series LCD sets. The model numbers are KLV-S19A10, KLV-S23A10, KLV-S26A10, KLV-S32A10. The 19' and 23" have been in stores for quite a while now and the 26" and 32" are now shipping. I have seen various posts about this set spread out across multiple threads. Time to consolidate, please posts your experiences, comments and opinions on these new sets here.

Here are the model numbers, MSRP

MSRP and model #'s

KLVS19A10 - $1099.99

KLVS23A10 - $1299.99

KLVS26A10 - $1499.99

KLVS32A10 - $1999.99

The 26" and 32" use 7th generation LCD panels from the joint Sony/Samsung plant in S. Korea.

The differences between the S series and V series are that the V series have cablecard and an ATSC tuner built in. The V series 32" and 40" also use the new WCGCCFL. (Wide Color Gamut Cold Color Fluroucent) backlighting.

According to this article any of the new Sony LCD flat panels from 26" to 40" will be under the BRAVIA brand name no longer called WEGA. This includes the S and V series LCD's. More info can be found HERE (Thanks for link Doolittle)

I will update this thread with more information as it becomes available. Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
well, i would like to see peoples overall impressions of these sets. I think there is a 40" version as well... would love to know how that is too!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Krlock, that is the V-series that has the 40". We'll start an official owners thread for the Vs when they start shipping or someone has it in their home. Looks to be less than two weeks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
hi ibleedgarnet... actually sony uk is advertising a 40" S series as well... is that not the case in the states?

krlock2

·
Registered
491 Posts
no problem at all ibleedgarnet.... thats what the forum is for... to find things out!

well, it begs the question... does sony intend to release a 40" version stateside? im sure that they would if they are releasing it in the UK. after all, a 40 inch version of this baby could be quite cool, dont you agree???

krlock2

·
Registered
408 Posts
Krlock, I'm pretty much sold on the 40" V-series. It's an XBR, and the bezel is black/dark grey.

I think you'll find that most posters on this forum, if given the chance to choose, would go with black/grey bezel(s) over the silver bezel(s).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBleedGarnet
I think you'll find that most posters on this forum, if given the chance to choose, would go with black/grey bezel(s) over the silver bezel(s).
Is it just me or does a black bezel make the less-than-spectacular black level on an LCD look worse?

I'm not trolling. I have an LCD. I have never owned an LCD without a black bezel, but I can't help noticing, while watching in a dimly lit room, that the bezel is much darker than the "black" areas on the screen.

Also, Isn't there a fairly large disparity in price between the V ans S series? I can't see the choice really coming down to the bezel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is ironic, people come into this thread to talk about the V series LCD and people go to the V series thread to talk about that S series LCD....haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
from the "other" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e8player
just picked up the S32A10 from best buy...they matched goodguys price of $1799 plus on the best buy website they offer $200 off with the purchase of directv hd reciever which i'll need...so for both $1799+tax...
i noticed on my set it does not say "WEGA" on the left hand side and on the manual they covered up the "wega" with white tape....does anybody have a set that says wega?...all the online store pics show it...i wonder whats going on...

still waiting for my hd dish to come in so on SD for now...not too impressed with pq but that should be expected with SD right?...i'm seeing alot of pixelation...meaning text and images are distorted around the edges...also color settings dont seem to be lifelike...im new to LCDs so what should i use to calibrate the color settings?...also do the Monster power strips help clean up the image since currently im using one of those cheap computer power strips?...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just got the KLV-S32A10E today. Not sure if I can give a really good review as it is my first LCD TV ever. I have it currently hooked up to my digital cable box via SCART and my non-progressive scan DVD player via component video. The digital cable looks pretty good but I can definately see the flaws in the image if i move closer to the scrfeen. Much less forgiving than a tube. DVD looks awesome. My tv does not say "Wega" and it does not have the "Wega Gate" like the US models do. I also havent figured out how to do PIP if that is even available. The US site lists it. The French site doenst even have this model listed on the site so I dont know if PIP is included. I will hook up a snazio player once I recieve it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
the sony style uk site is now advertising both the 40" V series and 40" S series for delivery mid september!!!!!!! prices seem just on the good side of reasonable for sony goods.

cant wait to see these babies....

krlock2.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The KLV-S26A10 I saw at CC last Sunday has the Bravia Logo instead of Wega... the 32 has none and the 23 is still showing the Wega sign. I guess in a few months we will be seeing more of the Bravia Logo instead of the Wega.

While in the Sony Site refers to a PIP in the S26A10, I can't seem to find it in the manual. Looks like there is none. I like the picture that I saw at CC, and really thinking of getting one for the bedroom. The XBR version price is out of my range.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Educate me. how do I know it's the 'V' or 'S'??? Is the 'V' better than the 'S' (trying to remember - didn't they do this with the tube tv's years ago?)

I was looking at the KLVS23A10. Is this the 'S'?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Joe -

The new Sony LCD flat panels for North America are divided into two model numbers. The models without the HD tuner are the KLV units; the models with the HD tuner built-in are identified as KDL units and are XBR tv's. Thus, a 32" w/o HD tuner is identified as KLV-S32A10; a 32" with HD tuner included is identified as KDL-V32XBR1.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiloD
The KLV-S26A10 I saw at CC last Sunday has the Bravia Logo instead of Wega... the 32 has none and the 23 is still showing the Wega sign. I guess in a few months we will be seeing more of the Bravia Logo instead of the Wega.

So are they calling their menu operation system "WEGA GATE" or "BRAVIA Gate"? The second just doesn't sound right...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest
Joe -

The new Sony LCD flat panels for North America are divided into two model numbers. The models without the HD tuner are the KLV units; the models with the HD tuner built-in are identified as KDL units and are XBR tv's. Thus, a 32" w/o HD tuner is identified as KLV-S32A10; a 32" with HD tuner included is identified as KDL-V32XBR1.

Hope this helps.
thanks

Question: What was the smallest XBR made? I'm wondering if they'll bring the XBR down to the 23" model..though my feeling is they'll keep it above 26".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.