AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1738 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start one of these and see how it goes....

I ordered one of the new VGPXL1B2 changers from Amazon last week for $399 (after rebate), not bad for a 200 disc DVD changer... now if I can just get some SW to make it work! The unit I got from Amazon didn't have a manual or an install CD and it looked refurbished - ouch! Amazon is sending me a new unit (so they say) - we shall see if this one has all the right stuff to make this thing work with my new HTPC. Sony's Help Desk was a total waste of time.

Here is the Sony Support Home Page for the VGP-XL1B2

-Chris

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know where I can download the install CD for this thing? I found the manual on thier support site but no software....

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
If you are running MCE 2005 with Rollup2 it will have support for the 200 disc changer without any extra software needed.

The sony software is just added junk to rip music to hdd, and some other things.

What I'd like to see is the My movies plugin for MCE have direct support for this disc changer, it would be a nice feature to my existing HTPC.

- Josh

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Josh, I have gotten this to work but it is missing some things as per the manual. I REALLY want the ability to batch-rip my entire CD collection using this device. Is there anyway MCE (or another player) can do this without the Sony SW?

Have you contacted the author of My Movies to see if he would add support for it? Sounds like supporting this device would be a plus for his SW. Power in numbers.....

-Chris

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet /forum/post/0

Thanks Josh, I have gotten this to work but it is missing some things as per the manual. I REALLY want the ability to batch-rip my entire CD collection using this device. Is there anyway MCE (or another player) can do this without the Sony SW?

Have you contacted the author of My Movies to see if he would add support for it? Sounds like supporting this device would be a plus for his SW. Power in numbers.....

-Chris

I guess I havn't really looked into it, as $400 is still too steep for my budget. if I can get my hands on the disc changer for cheaper than I might start actively looking. In the past I was just currous to see what it could possibly do.

check out his site: www.mymovies.name

- Josh

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just received my changer from Amazon and same problem ... no software CD or User Manual! This does not seem to be an isolated problem. Their whole shipment must have been like this. I just applied online for an exchange although I am really wondering if the new one will just have the same problem.

I pulled the plug back in May to get the $100 rebate off the $799 price but after waiting a month with no charge or tracking number canceled that order and reordered for $499 and the new rebate. They must have finally gotten more in as I was promptly charged and received a tracking number. I was hoping this was an isolated case of missing items in the box but this many would indicate a problem.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You can download the manual. I wonder if they're having problems with the software? I find it amusing that Sony, which is also in the content business and which has been heavy on DRM (remember the infamous Sony rootkit?) now sells a device that they advertise as being able to rip your entire CD collection to a PC, and to automatically record entire television series onto DVD. I do wish the price would come down some more--adding $2 to the cost of each pre-recorded DVD seems a little steep.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I wonder if these changers are OEM and thats why they aren't comming with manuals and software.

- Josh

·
Registered
378 Posts
The box doesn't say anything about OEM. It says on the box about the software CD included. There is also a sticker on the lid of the box telling you to read the users manual before use. HA! I had the firewire cable but only an empty plastic bag taped to the changer. I could see missing one box when packing these things but three not having the CD and manual seems unusual.

I guess I am aggravated because the whole reason I chose XP MCE 2005 as the OS for my PVR was to use this as a 200 disc DVD recorder. I wanted to use BeyondTV to record my shows all season, automatically delete commercials and compress to MPEG4. I could then fill the changer with blank dual layer DVDs and let the "included" Sony software divide my shows among the multiple DVDs and archive them for me. I don't mind downloading the manual if that were the only problem but I also need the software.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Amazon emailed me back and suggested I contact Sony directly about the missing items. Having already read the thread I thought "Oh Boy". Sure enough, Sony support looked up the part numbers for the missing software CD, User Manual and I also realized I was missing the power cord after downloading the manual from their website. I was assured that I would have the missing items tomorrow.

The tech mentioned he had read an email concerning this, so obviously, this is a packing problem, it is their problem and they are being more than helpful to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, many more people will probably be receiving their changer from Amazon missing items. I would suggest anyone receiving their changer with missing items call Sony at 1-800--352-7669 and press 4 for technical support.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks HVG - I'll give them a call tomorrow. Let us know when you get your SW how things are working.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got mine yesterday and have to say I am a little disapointed in it. The sony software doesn't do a good job in labeling my movies. I have a lot of box sets and it doesn't differentiate between disk 1,2,3 etc.. I could have just gotten the 400 disk sony changer for less money if I knew I had to manually input most of my disk titles.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet /forum/post/0

I do wish the price would come down some more--adding $2 to the cost of each pre-recorded DVD seems a little steep.

I think $400 is cheap. What do you think is a reasonable price for a 200 disc HTPC DVD changer? I guess I don't think too much about price, time is the big thing for me. I just don't have the time to rip all my CD's or DVD's one at a time. Perhaps in the future someone will develop a good tool to rip DVD's off a changer but in the mean time I can batch all my CD's - rip em - then load up the DVD's - enjoy.

BTW, I have not looked into extenders yet. I'm not sure if I can spin up a DVD off the changer from a remote location, anyone try this yet? All I have is SD TV's in my home so I suppose I can continue to use my Channel Plus Mod.

-Chris

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 /forum/post/0

You can't remote it to an Extender.

Sounds like another good enhancement request - never say can't - lol....I suppose I can always control my HTPC via a remote desktop-yuk! I'm going to ping MS and the My Movies guys on this one......seems kinda like a conspiracy...can't legally rip your DVD's to HD and MCE extenders don't support changers -
What's a guy with a big house suppose to [email protected]#$%@.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow - you are The Man! Great reads. Thanks Chris for your support on this. Your blog is a great source of info, as well as Matt's. Being new to all this (my first HTPC) I need all the help I can get.....I'll be sure to sign up on your Blog and monitor this issue. Power in numbers!

I currently have a whole house A/V distribution system and the transformation to HTPC has been difficult for me. Before I had full control of my DVD changer via I/R controls and CP Mods but with the HTPC everything has changed. It's not so easy to control this device remotely. This is a very much needed enhancement if folks are going to take the leap to HTPC's, IMO. Either give us the rights to copy DVD's to a server or give us control over a changer. Personally I like the changer idea, saves me time.

Thanks again for your support and I look forward to seeing some movement.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
How does the changer show up in windows explorer? Can the discs be accessed through explorer like a regular external drive?

Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Babgvant, When you use Windows Explorer you only see the disc that is loaded. To change the disc you need to use MCE.

Has anyone gotten thier issue resolved from Amazon? It has been 4 weeks now and I still do not have a replacement and it has been 3 weeks since I asked Sony to send me a disc (I called them today and the disc is still backordered! Without SW I am a dead stick. Anyone out there want to send me a copy of thier disc? or send me a link so I can download it....TIA

Chris

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet /forum/post/0

Hi Babgvant, When you use Windows Explorer you only see the disc that is loaded. To change the disc you need to use MCE.

Has anyone gotten thier issue resolved from Amazon? It has been 4 weeks now and I still do not have a replacement and it has been 3 weeks since I asked Sony to send me a disc (I called them today and the disc is still backordered! Without SW I am a dead stick. Anyone out there want to send me a copy of thier disc? or send me a link so I can download it....TIA

Chris

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 1738 Posts